Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #141
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
So the CFL looked at how well the NHL did by wiping out goals because someone was offside 45 seconds prior, and decided to start wiping out touchdowns because someone got nudged 50 feet away from the play?

No wonder both these leagues are dying.
CFL's dying a slow death, and will fall off a cliff at some point as there's no young fans attracted to the sport, but I'll need citation on the NHL.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #142
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Someone in the league has to have an eye on how all of this stuff is making the game virtually unwatchable.
The refs, coaches, and officials are really putting the entire league at risk with this crap.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #143
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

it is getting to the point that if a defender touches you even slightly, hit the deck. the mental wizards at CFL command will give you a first down... really hope one of these calls doesnt play a big part in the grey cup
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #144
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
it is getting to the point that if a defender touches you even slightly, hit the deck. the mental wizards at CFL command will give you a first down... really hope one of these calls doesnt play a big part in the grey cup
I don't think Coates (#81) on Hamilton even made one catch in the game or even had a ball thrown his direction. Yet he gets bumped into on the pick by Campbell, falls down to the ground, and a 115 yard pick six gets taken off the board. To steal a line from Charles Barkley, "That's turrible".
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #145
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Why is Anthony Parker still around? Honest question, can someone explain why he is taking reps away from Durant and Charbonneau? Two better athletes who can also catch?
I actually thought Anthony Parker been good in the past few games including tonight. Yes, he blown his route a couple of times but he was actually good today.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #146
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How brutal is it when a big pick six in the end zone has 27k fans on their feet and it's taken away because if an illegal contact Hail Mary challenge flag where the contact was maybe 5.2 yards? It's automatic now whenever there's a big turnover by a defense that the head coach calls upstairs to see if there's anything close to illegal contact. This is a essentially the CFL's version of the NHL's dubious skate in the crease rule. I'm fairly confident this is really going to haunt the league in the Grey Cup and blow up in their face on their biggest stage.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #147
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't agree more with the BS on the PI challenges. But Stamps did themselves no favors with their last 3 possessions. That's what gave Hamilton the chance to get back into it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #148
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Hadn't been to a CFL game in years but went with my dad tonight. We had fun but holy #### the penalties make the game SO much slower and more boring than it used to be. That first quarter which took 45 minutes of Hamilton and Calgary taking penalties was horrendous to watch. To the point I was hoping Hamilton would just score already so we could all move on.

I want to support the CFL but they make it tough, the penalties need to be adjusted. As mentioned at the end... the big play. Just brutal.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #149
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stampeders dominated in all 3 facets of the game again tonight. Close score was very misleading as the Stamps offense would have scored at least 4-5 TD instead of just field goals. It seems like every time the Stamps offense are in, they are capable scoring at least a field goal or a TD.

OFFENSE:

What can you say about the Offensive Line. They are the unsung hero again giving Mitchell so much time to throw and giving Messam tons of spaces. They did not give up a QB sack again tonight. Not positive on how many consecutive games now but I think 3 consecutive games now or maybe a little bit more.
Bo Levi Mitchell by far is the best QB in the CFL right now. The guy is a winner. I just love how he threw that bomb to Daavaris Daniels' 1st TD in his CFL career. He doesn't get as much respect from the media as Collaros, Jennings or even Trevor Harris but he gets the job done every game.
Davaris Daniels had a good game tonight in both offense and special team. He blocked a punt on his special team duty in the 1st quarter then scored his CFL touchdown after Hamilton just scored their own.

DEFENSE:

Overall defense played well. They got burned in a few long bombs but overall they pretty much shut down Collaros' option in throwing long throws. Collaros was pressured pretty much all night. Aside from some of the defensive lapse, they did pretty well.

SPECIAL TEAM:

ST Coverage team was pretty good again shutting down Brandon Banks. You can tell the frustration on Banks all night and especially after he finally had a good run but was nullified because of the offside penalty. Roy Finch on the other hand had some good returns.
Both Rob Maver and Rene Paredes did their job and beyond.

Challenges and Penalties:
Stamps are more discipline in this game only taking a few penalties while Hamilton took the brunt of all the penalties but they are all deserving.

Challenges almost cost the Stamps a win. Both Hamilton's challenges were ridiculously went on their favour. I could not understand how can they overturned that pass interference when it clearly shows that Brandon Banks push Tommie Campbell when he tried to stop. Banks was not even the intended receiver on that play. The second challenge is the most ridiculous call. Coates was not even the intended receiver on that play and he was so far away from the ball. The challenge should only be if a defensive player made an illegal contact on the intended receiver. The league should make changes on the challenges because it is getting stupid that head coaches are just fishing for a call being overturned.

Anyways, it was an awesome win again by the Stamps.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #150
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

the other thing and I think it was mentioned by jayswin a week or two ago was the crowd. It started out a decent size but by the end had fizzled considerably.

We paid $35 / seat for some of the worst seats imaginable. I felt like they should have been paying me to sit there. An exaggeration but honestly I felt like for the value it should have been more like $10/seat and then you can hose me for food and drink, but at least the building will be full and won't be a ghost town.

When Flames ownership took over- it was obvious, and it's too bad. Everything, and I mean everything, is about the almighty dollar to that group.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #151
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Someone in the league has to have an eye on how all of this stuff is making the game virtually unwatchable.
The refs, coaches, and officials are really putting the entire league at risk with this crap.
Instant replay is just killing sports in general. This use is maybe the worst offender, but it's just hard to watch in most applications. The NFL can't decide whether plays are catches and it gets bogged down in semantics. The NHL is calling offsides by a fraction of an inch. Its just too much.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #152
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Instant replay is just killing sports in general. This use is maybe the worst offender, but it's just hard to watch in most applications. The NFL can't decide whether plays are catches and it gets bogged down in semantics. The NHL is calling offsides by a fraction of an inch. Its just too much.
Yeah I agree.
I think baseball has got it closest to right - in terms of how/when to use it - and improved things after some initial stumbles.
Football is the worst by far though IMHO.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #153
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I agree.
I think baseball has got it closest to right - in terms of how/when to use it - and improved things after some initial stumbles.
I guess but really I just want to enjoy the game for what it is, including bad calls. I never thought I'd say that before the days of replays, but it's true. The refs make mistakes and I am fine with that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #154
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind replays in football when it's in regards to knee being down or not in the case of a fumble, a properly completed pass, or if a player's foot was out of bounds. But now they are using replay on judgement calls like pass interference, roughing the passer, illegal contact, etc and it's got to the point where nearly every play in football you have to wait a few moments to see if there's a flag or the play was good. I know every time I watch my team make a big play I'm looking at the field for flags or at the replay to see if there's anything on the play that can be challenged. I think the intent was good but they have gone too far and the game simply isn't as fun to watch with this level of micromanagement.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:28 PM   #155
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I agree.
They did. Then there's that stupid double play thing now.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:12 AM   #156
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I only saw the second half, but I liked the mics. The play calling was indecipherable but everything else was interesting. And BLM cussed, when usually he says heck and darn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
the other thing and I think it was mentioned by jayswin a week or two ago was the crowd. It started out a decent size but by the end had fizzled considerably.

We paid $35 / seat for some of the worst seats imaginable. I felt like they should have been paying me to sit there. An exaggeration but honestly I felt like for the value it should have been more like $10/seat and then you can hose me for food and drink, but at least the building will be full and won't be a ghost town.

When Flames ownership took over- it was obvious, and it's too bad. Everything, and I mean everything, is about the almighty dollar to that group.
I agree the higher seats should be in the $20 range at most, but I find seasons in the black sections to be a really good value. I almost feel guilty because I have such a good time for how little I pay.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #157
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

There seems to be a small group of people that seem to think the Flames ownership is the devil or something because they know how to operate a business and not bleed red. All the team has done since the Flames took over is put on the best product in the CFL and it's been done under stable ownership where there's never a question if the bills are going to be paid or meddling in football decisions. I'm sorry but Stamps fans should be thankful their team is owned by

I mean honestly does anyone really miss the Gutsche, Ryckman, or Feterik years? Just goes to show you can never make everyone happy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #158
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I agree.
Baseball might be the worst offender right now. Anything remotely close, the managers are first reviewing it amongst themselves holding up the game. Then telling the umps to look at it. Essentially 2 reviews are being done.

CFL, coaches are throwing challenge flags at everything. Give them 1 challenge, if they lose it they''re out of them.

In Cricket, in the longest format; test matches, each team gets 2 challenges per 80 overs. They have to use them properly, if they don't they're out of them and cannot review a wrongful decision the rest of the day.

If you want to use technology then get rid of umpires. Otherwise, I agree with Slava, let the games happen, have a 3rd eye in the sky and if an umpire blatantly messes up, tell them to fix it right away.

They should be trying to shorten games not extend them. But knowing these leagues, soon the challenges will be sponsored.

"Hamilton challenges the last play, the challenge is brought to by Canadian Tire."
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #159
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There seems to be a small group of people that seem to think the Flames ownership is the devil or something because they know how to operate a business and not bleed red. All the team has done since the Flames took over is put on the best product in the CFL and it's been done under stable ownership where there's never a question if the bills are going to be paid or meddling in football decisions. I'm sorry but Stamps fans should be thankful their team is owned by

I mean honestly does anyone really miss the Gutsche, Ryckman, or Feterik years? Just goes to show you can never make everyone happy.
I wasn't overly clear. It's okay for the ownership group to make money. I'm not particularly fussed about that. It's how they go about it. If I were them though I might make a wider spread on prices and lower the lower end seats to try and fill the building. If you look at the stands the place is generally empty in the upper reaches, lots of empty seats even in the central main parts of the stadium. I have to think that more butts in the seats means more food and drink revenue and more money than charging higher ticket prices anyway. Totally guessing though.

For example, it cost $35 for the crappiest seats on earth. A bottle of water is $4.50, a beer is like $6, a hot dog from spolumbos is $9 minimum. I think you make up more than the $15 per person in food easily and fill the place, get a better atmosphere, and support for the team. Honestly the seats we had you couldn't even see the other side of the field, we had to watch on the jumbotron. Why should someone pay to watch the tv at the field when you can do so at home?

Lastly, flames ownership has earned themselves the reputation. I'm also not on an island in thinking this. They maximize every possible revenue point and I'm not sure it's even productive for themselves and it's definitely noticeable- and worth commenting on.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #160
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They need to penalize teams that are wrong when they challenge. Something like your next offensive possession, you start at 1 and 20 or you start out at your own 10 yard line. In hockey, it would be a 2 min minor for delay of game and if you were wrong again in the same game, it becomes a double minor. That way coaches would only use it if they were positive instead of throwing up a hail mary.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote