Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:
Default Has technology gone too far?

Post ridiculous new tech that should have never been thought of or is just plain hilarious.
I'll start with two.

1. Baby wearables: http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/07/s...leep-patterns/

2. SexFit penis pedometer (yes you read that right): http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/07/b...us-journalist/

fixed links

Last edited by Looch City; 08-07-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Your links are both the same. I wanted to buy an penis pedometer, dangit - I don't even have a baby!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll know when it goes too far.

... in seriousness, it's creating a social issue imo. Additionally there's about three people a day I want to drop my shoulder and ram into their chest because they're walking with their head totally buried in a phone.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technology will never go "too far". People may leverage technology for asinine reasons, but I will never stop welcoming advancement that can make our lives easier, longer, or safer.

That said, now I'm scouring the web for ridiculous tech and some of it makes my head hurt. Oy.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Terrific (short) video. It really builds on Frontline's episode "Generation Like" which is available on the PBS website and is highly recommended.

I just spent a week with my teen niece and have to admit that I was slightly surprised at how she interacts with the world through things like Vine, Instagram and (to a lesser extent) Twitter. I'm a tech guy and a (basic) social media fan, but this was a bit more of an extreme.

None of it seems bad or wrong per se, but the clear objective of her interactions is "Look at me, judge me, validate me", she just doesn't realize it.

We basically spent a week just hanging out and talking, and one thing that really resonated with me is that she has typical career goals (be a teacher...), but would trade it all for fame. Not self-fulfillment, not influence to enact change, not even money....just fame. Celebrity is seen as the most powerful currency amongst her and (presumably) her peer group.

Was eye opening.

Last edited by WilsonFourTwo; 08-08-2014 at 08:30 AM.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'd say technology hasn't gone too far enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
None of it seems bad or wrong per se, but the clear objective of her interactions is "Look at me, judge me, validate me", she just doesn't realize it.

We basically spent a week just hanging out and talking, and one thing that really resonated with me is that she has typical career goals (be a teacher...), but would trade it all for fame. Not self-fulfillment, not influence to enact change, not even money....just fame. Celebrity is seen as the most powerful currency amongst her and (presumably) her peer group.

Was eye opening.
Yeah been doing some research (more just getting immersed a bit, trying to come up with app ideas for a group of devs) into how stuff like that is used today and it certainly does seem a bit shocking.

However I still wonder how much of it's cause and how much effect.

Being driven by or desiring popularity is pretty much a defining trait for teens/pre-teens isn't it? Probably a whole species of tropes revolve around it. Social interactions in school and such involve popularity to a large degree, and part of growing up is moving past the self-centredness of youth (which a lot of people never do it seems).

So I kind of think social media is just another avenue to seek that attention as opposed to creating that desire.

That said anything to the exclusion of all else can be bad, and social media can be abused easier maybe than "real life" attempts to seek attention or popularity. It's easier to do things that a parent or other authority figure might otherwise stop to protect the kid from their own poor judgement.

I was looking at one app called younow, basically a live streaming app where people use their phone's camera to video themselves and broadcast it while other people watch and "like" the stream. The most popular ones seemed to be around music (people singing or DJing), and lots were just kids (the age demographic) sitting around talking and exchanging social media with viewers. But some were kids doing some pretty inadvisable things trying to increase the # of viewers at all costs. "OMG we've got 10 people viewing, quick do that again we need more viewers". When my kid's a little older I'd be very wary of him using an app like younow without supervision.

Even YouTube has the same thing, my kid doesn't have the same social goals as most kids his age (kids on the spectrum often don't), but he always asks me for a youtube channel so he can broadcast himself playing Minecraft. But when we were looking at other kids' youtube channels together there were some that I really wondered if their parents had any idea what their kids were doing.

Or all the anonymous and semi-anonymous apps out there, Snapchat etc. A lady at a guy I know's work said her daughter got some dick pics when she was putting out her Snapchat to anyone who asked.

I think parents are very ill equipped to understand what their kids are doing or can potentially do these days.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't search for Novint Falcon + Oculus Rift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Don't search for Novint Falcon + Oculus Rift.
Well, I did.

This, however, was a lot funnier:
NSFW!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
2. SexFit penis pedometer (yes you read that right): http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/07/b...us-journalist/
Well isn't that just great? I don't need a device confirming I'm a one pump chump.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'd say technology hasn't gone too far enough!
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Technology will have gone just far enough when I get on the holodeck and have sex with Kaley Cuoco, Kate Upton and Jennifer Lawrence.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote