Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #1081
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Speaking of getting paid back money that was stolen from us, when is Mulcair and the NDP going to pay up?

http://www.poletical.com/ndp-mulcair-expenses.php
A well thought out, unbiased article
Old 08-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #1082
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Speaking of getting paid back money that was stolen from us, when is Mulcair and the NDP going to pay up?

http://www.poletical.com/ndp-mulcair-expenses.php
What a hilarious situation. They did offer you a pay back of 10% though...(minus legal fees of course)...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ndp-m...aims-1.2392757

I remember when Layton used to charge about 600k to run his office when Harper's cost about 200k.

"My friends, love is better than anger, hope is better than fear, 600k is better than 200k and 2.7 million is way better than 90k"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
It's actually kind of hard to find main stream news about this. The last anyone heard of this was in June. Oddly, the CBC hasn't mentioned it lately, or ever as far as I can see. I'm sure it's before the courts and commons anyway so comments would have to be withheld until the proceedings are finished as is the case in most legal matters.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 08-22-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #1083
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Politics is a dirty, dirty game of tattle tale and name calling for adults. All parties have their dark sides and aren't free of misguidance and wrongdoings; smear campaigns, anti-party advertisements, illegal activity, etc.

I will be continuing to vote Conservative because their business and personal tax platforms aligns with my values and beliefs. I simply won't vote Liberal or NDP because of their tax platforms and opposition to Northern Gateway. The marijuana debate is a non-starter for me as I don't care if it continues to be illegal or is decriminalized or legalized.

For me it's not about choosing between Harper, Trudeau or Mulclair as a leader, but rather the parties and platforms they represent. I don't care if Stephen Harper gets his haircut at Supercuts and Trudeau goes to Hedkandi.

#VoteConservative

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #1084
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh nice referencing the The Tyee - balanced and unbiased!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #1085
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Unbiased or not, is it true?

If it is, then Mulcair is nothing but the country's biggest hypocrite and a snakeoil salesman of the largest degree....no?

I really am having trouble getting behind any of them as the Duffy thing is showing Harper and crew to be incompetant at best and flat out liars at worst. A couple other issues are bothersome as well. Even though the cons are probably the best for me personally, there is a real hesitation to send them back.

But..

Mulcair is being exposed for being two-faced all over the place and it reeks of opportunism in an effort to gain power. That scares me to no end as I have no doubt the guy would sell his soul to the devil to see his agenda ploughed through...which means he will compromise almost anyone and anything as long as it is to his benefit.

No way in Hades the Liberals will ever get my support at any level....ever. I watched them destroy a large chunk of this city and many many people I care about once, and they should never ever get that opportunity again.

So....best of a bad bunch is where things are coming out in this whole election, and its becoming apparent to me who that is.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #1086
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Oh nice referencing the The Tyee - balanced and unbiased!
It's fun to go ad hominem but much more constructive to debate the points they made. Which facts did they get wrong or spin incorrectly?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #1087
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
No way in Hades the Liberals will ever get my support at any level....ever. I watched them destroy a large chunk of this city and many many people I care about once, and they should never ever get that opportunity again.
Hilarious.

Quote:
So....best of a bad bunch is where things are coming out in this whole election, and its becoming apparent to me who that is.
Oh yeah, you were a complete undecided before the writ was dropped.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #1088
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You make them sound like a terrorist organization or something.

This is akin to me citing Watergate as a reason, per se, to never vote Republican again. Ever.

At some point, you just have to move on. That or at least admit you're blatantly partisan (Go Team Harper - rah rah rah!) and quit pretending your vote was ever up for grabs.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #1089
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Hilarious.

Oh yeah, you were a complete undecided before the writ was dropped.
I could not care any less what you believe or think.

If you want to call me a liar, go ahead but the truth is I am considering entirely not voting Conservative but I am gong to leave that to my local candidates to decide for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman
You make them sound like a terrorist organization or something.

This is akin to me citing Watergate as a reason, per se, to never vote Republican again. Ever.

At some point, you just have to move on. That or at least admit you're blatantly partisan (Go Team Harper - rah rah rah!) and quit pretending your vote was ever up for grabs.
My vote is up for grabs...but not to the Liberals. Period.

Watergate never ever destroyed anybodys lives except those that were involved in it. Strange comparison from a guy that claims to me more intelligent than everyone else.

I have zero doubt that Justin will follow quite closely his fathers footsteps...why wouldn't he? His political knowledge and ideals were formed long ago and from a playbook that allowed his family to live at 24 Sussex for over 15 years. He knows all to well how to pander to the base that will keep him in power and where to pillage to make it happen.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #1090
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

nm....waste of time

Last edited by transplant99; 08-22-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #1091
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
My vote is up for grabs...but not to the Liberals. Period.

Watergate never ever destroyed anybodys lives except those that were involved in it. Strange comparison from a guy that claims to me more intelligent than everyone else.

I have zero doubt that Justin will follow quite closely his fathers footsteps...why wouldn't he? His political knowledge and ideals were formed long ago and from a playbook that allowed his family to live at 24 Sussex for over 15 years. He knows all to well how to pander to the base that will keep him in power and where to pillage to make it happen.
My point was simply that invoking the ghosts of the past as reason not to vote for such and such a party today is pretty goofy.

Yes, he is your arch enemy's son - but really, honestly, do you see him as anything more than a shell? I see him as an empty vessel that is filled by the people surrounding him. Is that a bad thing? I don't know.

I do think that ascribing to him the conniving anti-western mastermind thing is a bit much, however.

For the record, we are on some kind of same page here - I'm not voting Liberal either.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #1092
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Chantal Hebert, of the Toronto Star who is also part of the CBC At Issue Panel. Hebert, Coyne, and Murphy are my favorite journalists.
http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-...ti-harper.html

Hebert's column this week is about the state of voters in Quebec and the attitudes driving interest this election.

Summary:

In an area which doesn't traditionally see a lot of interest in elections, there is this time.
NDP getting a lot of love, not because of fondness of the leader (like it was in 2011) but because people are ticked at Harper
Conservatives playing the "better to have someone at the table" card, but unless they do better in the polls it isn't worth much.
Bloc is seen as an irritant.
Trudeau's name never came up. Another of his "open and fair" nomination candidates saw the entire Board resign in protest of Trudeau's appointed candidate and they are now endorsing the NDP candidate. The Liberals may have trouble keeping seats in the montreal area inherited from Ignatief.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 08-22-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: link didn't paste over last time
The Following User Says Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #1093
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well this is easy enough then. The Democrats started the Vietnam war, which ruined countless lives. Guess no one in the U.S. should vote for them ever again. But wait! Bush illegally invaded Iraq which also destroyed millions of lives, so can't vote Republican either.

I mean John A. McDonald oversaw the Indian Act and the original residential schools and we all know how brutal they were, and he was a Conservative, so I guess they're out.

Quote:
You have zero doubt? So that means you must have evidence to back up your claims, right? Or is it possible that this might be baseless, partisan fear-mongering, based only on the dude's last name?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #1094
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Diefenbaker ruined the lives of people employed by Avro Canada decades ago, so I'm never going to vote Conservative ever no matter what.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #1095
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well this is easy enough then. The Democrats started the Vietnam war, which ruined countless lives. Guess no one in the U.S. should vote for them ever again. But wait! Bush illegally invaded Iraq which also destroyed millions of lives, so can't vote Republican either.

I mean John A. McDonald oversaw the Indian Act and the original residential schools and we all know how brutal they were, and he was a Conservative, so I guess they're out.

You have zero doubt? So that means you must have evidence to back up your claims, right? Or is it possible that this might be baseless, partisan fear-mongering, based only on the dude's last name?

This "Because of his last name?" argument was tried earlier in the thread.

The response was the anti-Alberta clip, apology, and response from journalist links, such as this:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...lberta-remarks

It's an easy google search.

Trudeau came after Alberta. He tried to apologize. It didn't go over well. As disingenuous as you portray his detractors, it is equally disingenuous to state that he didn't bring this criticism on himself, completely seperate and apart from his last name.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #1096
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

Well since I cant vote in the US, your analogy means nothing.

And I did not personally experience anything done through the Indian act that was written 140 years ago....but I lived and saw what the NEP did and the laissez faire attitude the Liberals had about it. I saw immediate family lose homes, I know more than one family who lost fathers through suicide when things got so bad....so again I don't give a #### what you think or say or what you want to compare things to. The Liberals had their chance with me, convinced me (I voted Liberal in 1980) and fooled me once which will never ever happen again.

Quote:
Call me all the names you want if it makes you feel better and superior...again, I don't care.

But yes, I have no doubt that the son of a former leader would be very much like his father if given the same opportunities. Funny thing? Im allowed to feel that way all I like regardless of your faux moral superiority getting bent out of shape or not...though it is amusing to watch.

Pretty Boy has shown his disdain for Alberta for years as been talked on these boards ad nauseum.

You can choose to ignore it or pretend that he is something he isn't, im not that stupid or naïve however.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #1097
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rube's too young to pretty much remember any Liberal government - or at very least probably wasn't engaged since Harper's been in power since pretty much High School for him.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #1098
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Rube's too young to pretty much remember any Liberal government - or at very least probably wasn't engaged since Harper's been in power since pretty much High School for him.
Yeah, those years of prosperity and 10 straight budget surpluses were terrible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #1099
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

And I did not personally experience anything done through the Indian act that was written 140 years ago....but I lived and saw what the NEP did and the laissez faire attitude the Liberals had about it. I saw immediate family lose homes, I know more than one family who lost fathers through suicide when things got so bad....so again I don't give a #### what you think or say or what you want to compare things to. The Liberals had their chance with me, convinced me (I voted Liberal in 1980) and fooled me once which will never ever happen again.
You don't know how analogies work. They aren't invalid just because don't apply to you personally. He did say "no one in the U.S."

Quote:
Call me all the names you want if it makes you feel better and superior...again, I don't care.
Is that why you call Justin Trudeau "Pretty Boy"? Does that make you feel superior?

Quote:
Im allowed to feel that way all I like
That's my problem with your argument. It's based on feelings, and not facts. You're still bitter about the NEP so you want to punish those who are responsible, except they're all gone. You hate the Liberals party just for having the same name.

Actually that's a big reason (among many) I wish Trudeau wasn't leader, because it gives people an easy excuse to dismiss them.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #1100
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So you only care about the harm you've personally witnessed when basing your vote on ancient policies?

Quote:
What names have I called you? I've only asked you to analyze your reasoning from a different perspective and evaluate if it actually makes sense. Should gays refuse to vote for Harper because he was once against gays marriage?

Quote:
But yes, I have no doubt that the son of a former leader would be very much like his father if given the same opportunities. Funny thing? Im allowed to feel that way all I like regardless of your faux moral superiority getting bent out of shape or not...though it is amusing to watch.
I'm glad you're amused by something that isn't actually happening. I'm having quite the chuckle at the ridiculous logic you're using to justify your position. It's a complete caricature of the most partisan of Conservative supporters.

You're right though. You are absolutely allowed to feel that way, just as I'm allowed to criticize you for how juvenile, simplistic, and nonsensical that line of thinking is. Still not name-calling by the way.

Quote:
Pretty Boy has shown his disdain for Alberta for years as been talked on these boards ad nauseum.

You can choose to ignore it or pretend that he is something he isn't, im not that stupid or naïve however.
It's been talked about. I don't think it's actually been demonstrated beyond some exaggerated and out of context comments. There is certainly nothing that he's put out as far as policy proposals go that demonstrate proof of these accusations.

There are a lot of very valid reasons to not for Trudeau. The ones you have, however, are pretty trivial.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-22-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Closed Thread