Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:18 AM   #3121
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
This is such a weird election. Two leading candidates; one's an untested fresh face that really may do anything if elected with very little to go on in terms of concrete answers, the other is a lying conman that also has no concrete answers but has so little respect for people he can't even be bothered to fake charisma.

Vote for the known evil or the unknown... what a ridiculous election.
It may not be ideal, but it should be a very easy decision for anyone who frames it that way.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 10-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #3122
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
This is such a weird election. Two leading candidates; one's an untested fresh face that really may do anything if elected with very little to go on in terms of concrete answers, the other is a lying conman that also has no concrete answers but has so little respect for people he can't even be bothered to fake charisma.

Vote for the known evil or the unknown... what a ridiculous election.
Sounds like every election ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #3123
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Sounds like every election ever.
Politicians really are the worst. Most of us probably couldn't stand to be in a room for more than 10 minutes with any of them, even the ones we are voting for. It's the dilemma that I have every election.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #3124
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indeed. Picking the least of all the various evils/"choices" . . .
Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #3125
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Just saw this linked on Facebook. I voted for Kent twice previously in provincial elections; I'm thrilled to live in his riding so I now have the opportunity to vote for him a third time.
Thanks for sharing this. I've mentioned this in other threads but I'm a strong supporter of Kent's. My good friend managed his provincial campaigns back in university and I got to know him on a personal level. He used to show up at our university house parties and be the life of the party despite his disability. He's a great guy who does truly care about the people in his riding and making a difference. On top of that it's really easy to vote for a guy who you have shared a few beers with. He has my vote on election day.
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #3126
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kent's leading the race for my vote too. Not sure if that'll stick once I walk in the booth, but just saying. He was down on 17th & 4th this morning handing out coffee. I wish I got off the bus to go say hi.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #3127
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes Kent's deffinately had a few beers in his life
Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #3128
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Kent's great, it'll be a disservice to the people of his riding if he doesn't get in.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #3129
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this might help explain the shift to the Liberals in recent polls: Canadians prefer their economic plan to the CPC's

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...r-s-nanos-poll
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #3130
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Politicians really are the worst. Most of us probably couldn't stand to be in a room for more than 10 minutes with any of them, even the ones we are voting for. It's the dilemma that I have every election.
I'm mostly a NDP voter but I spent some time with Joe Clark and he was a real likeable fellow. Of course it can be said, that is a trait of politicians or they wouldn't get the followers. Also I think that underneath, a real successful politician should be an underhanded jerk at times or he won't get the ultimate prize or at least won't get to hold onto it. Clark was just too much of a nice guy while Mulroney on the other hand would walk over his mother if she was in his way. Harper doesn't come across as phony slick as Mulroney but his record shows he's probably just as corrupt.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #3131
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

That chart jives with how I'm seeing the election.

I don't like any of the parties, so I basically decided that I'd vote for the party that'd directly give me the most money as a single active young male.

The liberal's income tax cut was the only thing that even comes close to directly putting money into my pocket (since the Cons are all about old people and people with kids, and Mulcair is probably taking money out of my pocket).

All their policies suck, so it's a purely self-interest vote at this point.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #3132
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I'm sure this has been posted/asked before but I'm hoping not to have to go through 157 pages. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to the best resource for the various party platforms?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #3133
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I'm sure this has been posted/asked before but I'm hoping not to have to go through 157 pages. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to the best resource for the various party platforms?
Each party's website?

Liberal.ca
Conservative.ca
Ndp.ca
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #3134
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Each party's website?

Liberal.ca
Conservative.ca
Ndp.ca

Thanks. To elaborate, I was thinking of something that standardizes the issues and summarizes the party's stance.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #3135
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Thanks. To elaborate, I was thinking of something that standardizes the issues and summarizes the party's stance.
Maybe something like https://votecompass.cbc.ca? It asks you a bunch of questions on various issues and then shows how closely your personal views align with each party's platform in different categories, e.g. economy, environment, foreign policy, healthcare, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #3136
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I'm mostly a NDP voter but I spent some time with Joe Clark and he was a real likeable fellow. Of course it can be said, that is a trait of politicians or they wouldn't get the followers. Also I think that underneath, a real successful politician should be an underhanded jerk at times or he won't get the ultimate prize or at least won't get to hold onto it. Clark was just too much of a nice guy while Mulroney on the other hand would walk over his mother if she was in his way. Harper doesn't come across as phony slick as Mulroney but his record shows he's probably just as corrupt.
Yeah, I met Joe Clark about 14 years ago and was really impressed. I've met quite a few other politicians and Joe was definitely the most sincere of the bunch.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #3137
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if the Conservatives lose this election, do CPC supporters foresee perhaps a purging of the Reform/Alliance section of the party? I feel like that aspect is the only thing holding the CPC back from dominating the scene in Canadian politics.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #3138
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So if the Conservatives lose this election, do CPC supporters foresee perhaps a purging of the Reform/Alliance section of the party? I feel like that aspect is the only thing holding the CPC back from dominating the scene in Canadian politics.
If they get blown out of the water circa 1993. Otherwise they just came out of ten years of governing, I doubt the reaction is that quick.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #3139
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Hopefully they root out the regressives and dog whistle racists. Harper could have crushed this election if he stayed middle of the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #3140
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you people feel about expats voting from abroad? If you no longer live in Canada, should you still be able to vote?
Closed Thread