Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #3021
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Right now, because the Cons aren't running on a massive deficit spending platform.

If I'm going on platforms, then the Cons is more in line with my thinking.

Even though Mulcair has talked about running balanced budgets, when I look at his platform I don't see how its realistic at all, and it looks like vapour ware.
Is $10BB/year really "massive"?? Our GDP is $1.8 TRILLION USD.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #3022
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Quote from article:

“According to the prime minister, in every speech he makes, one of the greatest threats is jihadi terrorism. This is very specific, very deliberate language. It ties violent action to a religious group. Most of them are Canadian citizens,” he said.

This is what I've been saying, Harper is riding the fear train and no one is calling him out for it. I'd like to see what the CPC supporters on this forum think about it.
I don't buy the bolded for a second.
When you can show me, in any speech never mind every speech, where Harper ties the fear to any 'religious group comprised mostly of Canadians', I'll absolutely change my opinion.
I otherwise am not impacted by the 'fear mongering' in any way. Perhaps I should be, I'm just not. I'm worried about the economy and taxes. I thought the proposed travel ban legislation is unnecessary and ridiculous, but it has zero impact on me. Perhaps to be mostly only concerned with what impacts me is selfish and is too narrow a view. But at this point in my life, I'm OK with that.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #3023
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Keynesian economics suggests that during a recession (in the short run) the best way to kickstart economic growth is spending. If one accepts that, running deficits was necessary after the global economic crisis. The CPC did actually mostly follow their planned recession deficit projections/back to balanced budget plan, more or less.
The CPC now says the economy is back on track and growing - so no more recession deficits, and the economy is good. The LPC says the economy needs more government spending as stimulus to get it going. The NDP has no idea at all.
It mostly depends where you fall on the state of the economy (assuming you buy Keynesian economics), and speaking from an economy standpoint only...
If you think more government infrastructure spending, but running a deficit, is what the economy needs, Trudeau is your man. If you think the recession is over and the economy has rebounded, then Harper is. He also is if you are from Alberta and believe the CPC is friendliest to O&G. Mulcair is no one's choice for the economy.
Thanks for clarifying, I was younger and stupid when the Conservatives first go into office so I didn't really pay much attention to politics.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of the "If you're from Alberta and are in O&G then you should be voting Harper" argument. This is a federal election not a provincial election, people should be looking bigger picture than just their own province.

I have some issues with what the Conservatives have done over the past years, and they really come across as that cranky old guy at work who can't/won't adapt to change. Most of what they are saying doesn't sit well with me, and their economic policy isn't strong enough to make those issues irrelevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #3024
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Thanks for clarifying, I was younger and stupid when the Conservatives first go into office so I didn't really pay much attention to politics.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of the "If you're from Alberta and are in O&G then you should be voting Harper" argument. This is a federal election not a provincial election, people should be looking bigger picture than just their own province.

I have some issues with what the Conservatives have done over the past years, and they really come across as that cranky old guy at work who can't/won't adapt to change. Most of what they are saying doesn't sit well with me, and their economic policy isn't strong enough to make those issues irrelevant.
Absolutely can appreciate this.
I have never not voted CPC, and am absolutely considering the LPC this time.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #3025
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Is $10BB/year really "massive"?? Our GDP is $1.8 TRILLION USD.
Its to me a un-neccessay deficit and they are addictive, we've seen that with Kathleen Wynn's government in Ontario and he's a great admirer of hers.

Like I said, its a platform that doesn't resonate with me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #3026
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't buy the bolded for a second.
When you can show me, in any speech never mind every speech, where Harper ties the fear to any 'religious group comprised mostly of Canadians', I'll absolutely change my opinion.
I otherwise am not impacted by the 'fear mongering' in any way. Perhaps I should be, I'm just not. I'm worried about the economy and taxes. I thought the proposed travel ban legislation is unnecessary and ridiculous, but it has zero impact on me. Perhaps to be mostly only concerned with what impacts me is selfish and is too narrow a view. But at this point in my life, I'm OK with that.
This sort of gets to the point:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/musl...mark-1.2940488

And then this gem:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle25911500/

“We’re talking about a very small number of areas in the world – obviously parts of Iraq and Syria would be the kinds of areas that we’re talking about,” said Mr. Harper. “Frankly, these are not areas where families go. These are areas where we know why people are really going. They are going for terrorist training.”

It's pretty easy to formulate a picture about this.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #3027
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I think our Mayor needs to go onto Federal Politics
Agreed.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #3028
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its to me a un-neccessay deficit and they are addictive, we've seen that with Kathleen Wynn's government in Ontario and he's a great admirer of hers.

Like I said, its a platform that doesn't resonate with me.
So the question is, does planning and being honest about running a deficit make it more palatable than promising to balance the budget and failing to do so??

I would argue that had the PC govt actually gone more into deficit spending we'd be seeing a stronger recovery (oil pricing aside). I used to be much more against government intervention in the economy, but am coming around to the more Keynesian thinking.

Cheap money is addictive. Look at the Joe Consumer and the stock market/TARP/QE Infinity/etc. But the Liberals did say it would be for 4 years and then we're into a new election cycle and a new mandate.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #3029
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why should the mayor stay out of federal politics any more or less than any of us should? He lives here too...
Old 10-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #3030
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Conservatives have promised to increase parental leave to 18 months from the current 12 months.

There will also be a pilot project on self earned income while parents are collecting EI on parental leave.

This is fantastic news for parents and families in Canada!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #3031
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Keynesian economics suggests that during a recession (in the short run) the best way to kickstart economic growth is spending. If one accepts that, running deficits was necessary after the global economic crisis. The CPC did actually mostly follow their planned recession deficit projections/back to balanced budget plan, more or less.
The CPC now says the economy is back on track and growing - so no more recession deficits, and the economy is good. The LPC says the economy needs more government spending as stimulus to get it going. The NDP has no idea at all.
It mostly depends where you fall on the state of the economy (assuming you buy Keynesian economics), and speaking from an economy standpoint only...
If you think more government infrastructure spending, but running a deficit, is what the economy needs, Trudeau is your man. If you think the recession is over and the economy has rebounded, then Harper is. He also is if you are from Alberta and believe the CPC is friendliest to O&G. Mulcair is no one's choice for the economy.
I think the other part of that equation is what did Harper spend those deficits on, and did they address gaps in infrastructure. In my opinion he did not, and instead focused on short-sighted economic ideas such as the TFSA, income-splitting, etc., as well as things like bill C-10, which I don't think were wise moves to be spending deficit dollars on.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #3032
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
The Conservatives have promised to increase parental leave to 18 months from the current 12 months.

There will also be a pilot project on self earned income while parents are collecting EI on parental leave.

This is fantastic news for parents and families in Canada!
It's a good step for sure, but again it's one of those measures that helps out some people who don't need the help, and I think concentrating on the working poor would be much more effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #3033
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Why should the mayor stay out of federal politics any more or less than any of us should? He lives here too...
Agreed. Just not sure why anyone should care about his opinion, particularly outside Calgary. What about the opinions of the mayors of Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, etc etc
Is he smarter than all of them? Does his opinion count more than theirs? I doubt it, but imagine he thinks so. As has been said, dude needs to run federally,
Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #3034
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. Just not sure why anyone should care about his opinion, particularly outside Calgary. What about the opinions of the mayors of Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, etc etc
Is he smarter than all of them? Does his opinion count more than theirs? I doubt it, but imagine he thinks so. As has been said, dude needs to run federally,
Kind of related, but Doug Ford said that if the CPC turfs Harper, he will take a run at the CPC leadership. He isn't even a mayor. He is just a city councilor.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #3035
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doug Ford would make Donald Trump look electable. But would that ever be entertaining.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #3036
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see the TPP has already faded from the election news cycle. I thought the largest free trade agreement in our nation's history would've been a larger topic of discussion, but we've got niqabs to talk about!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #3037
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada's GDP growth has been positive since before 2012 until this year.

Shockingly since the Cons have now stopped running deficits they are declaring the recession over.

You can have it one of two ways:
1) The recession ended in 2012 and they've been running deficits since 2012 because they bungled spending.
2) Canada is back to struggling economically so the government should be spending money.

They are picking and choosing data points to make themselves look better (which they should be doing), but if you look at the actual data it doesn't look good for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #3038
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I still maintain the best line of the campaign has been Trudeau's re Harper 'deficits in good years, deficits in bad years, just never in election years'.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #3039
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ I still maintain the best line of the campaign has been Trudeau's re Harper 'deficits in good years, deficits in bad years, just never in election years'.
That is the CPCs big strength. They can get their message out and the other parties haven't done a good enough job refuting them either because they aren't good at getting their message out or just don't have the money to run enough ads to do it.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #3040
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My two favourite lines from the election so far:

Trudeau: "Franklin Roosevelt said we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Stephen Harper has nothing to offer but fear itself."

Mulcair: "The Harper Government engages in decision-based fact making."
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread