Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #3061
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

My point exactly.
Saying something is a good plan and then pointing out where I think it could be better, or questioning how effective it can be isn't really the same as outright criticism.

EDIT: For instance, I did the same thing with Trudeau's plan to combat student debt and youth unemployment. I think it's better than the status quo, but it's not what I would consider ideal.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #3062
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Saying something is a good plan and then pointing out where I think it could be better, or questioning how effective it can be isn't really the same as outright criticism.

EDIT: For instance, I did the same thing with Trudeau's plan to combat student debt and youth unemployment. I think it's better than the status quo, but it's not what I would consider ideal.
Tell that to my wife!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #3063
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
In all honesty, if provinces want better relationships, there's nothing stopping them from meeting each other.
This is true. And as per your advice, they have all gone back in time and met as recently as this July.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nati...iers-1.3157487

You know what one of the things they decided as a group was? The PMO needed to partake in these meetings so all the first ministers were on the same page at the same time.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #3064
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's weird that I didn't see you praising Trudeau for announcing the same thing in August.
Why would it be weird? I was out of the country and not posting anything at all in August.

What's sadly becoming all too normal is your predictable partisan attacks.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #3065
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Why would it be weird? I was out of the country and not posting anything at all in August.

What's sadly becoming all too normal is your predictable partisan attacks.
Settle down, it was a joke.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #3066
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, now you know both exist: What are your thoughts?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #3067
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
It really depends on the situation. If I had choice between CPC and Liberal and they both were friendly to Oil & Gas, then yes, I would pick the better candidate.

But if your choice is marginally better representation by Kehr (as an example), which would have a very small impact on your life, versus voting for the CPC, which could potentially have a much larger impact on your life though a stronger Albertan economy, then yes, you should vote for CPC.

I begrudgingly supported Anders for years because of party, not because he was the best representative of my riding.
That seams a poor choice on your part, since the reason, arguably, Alberta is suffering with access to markets is Harper's mismanagment of the environment file, causing jurisdictions to treat us as hostile. I honestly think Liberal policy would be better for Alberta at this point than Conservative.

Also, Rob Anders? Seriously? Wow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #3068
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That seams a poor choice on your part, since the reason, arguably, Alberta is suffering with access to markets is Harper's mismanagment of the environment file, causing jurisdictions to treat us as hostile. I honestly think Liberal policy would be better for Alberta at this point than Conservative.

Also, Rob Anders? Seriously? Wow.
Interesting.

I see the NDP as better for Alberta than the Liberals. I rank them like this:

CPC

NDP

Liberal

Green
Old 10-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #3069
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Okay, now you know both exist: What are your thoughts?
I like both plans, but think the CPC's is preferable.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #3070
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Why is that?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #3071
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Why is that?
Because I think extending the full benefits period is preferable to simply extending the same benefit over a longer period.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #3072
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Interesting.

I see the NDP as better for Alberta than the Liberals. I rank them like this:

CPC

NDP

Liberal

Green
Curious why you would rank NDP above Liberal when Mulcair has opossed all pipelines http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ew-assessments
and Trudeau has only ruled out one.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #3073
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also given that at least in terms of promises, Trudeau has expressed a willingness to cede more control to provinces on the whole on this topic as opposed to Mulcair's national-strategy-based ideas.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #3074
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of it has to do with my perception that the NDP will actually do what they campaign on, whereas I see Trudeau as more likely to change on a whim for the benefit of central Canada. I also do not accept Trudeau's apology for his comments in 2010. I believe he fully intends to pull wealth out of Alberta and send it east. At least the NDP is up front about doing so:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trud...erta-1.1241750
Old 10-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #3075
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

@VOTES4NUDES is a thing on Instagram.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #3076
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is true. And as per your advice, they have all gone back in time and met as recently as this July.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nati...iers-1.3157487

You know what one of the things they decided as a group was? The PMO needed to partake in these meetings so all the first ministers were on the same page at the same time.
Awesome. Obviously they didn't need the PM to foster relationships.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #3077
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Awesome. Obviously they didn't need the PM to foster relationships.
Nope.

But making any sort of decision and having it stick and be effective requires some federal guidance and input. That Harper has done so little on this front is an obvious issue.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #3078
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't like this type of boutique benefit. The current parental leave provisions are fine as they are. Holding a job open and extending EI payments for 6 months isn't warranted in my opinion. Trudeau's plan is marginally better since it doesn't cost the government more money but I'm not a fan of it either.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #3079
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some are dismissive of Nenshi's position on CPC campaign tactics because he's not in federal politics, but I am very glad that he's speaking out. It should be concerning to Canadians that these politics are making muslim Canadians who are stand-up community members feel threatened. This read on the Globe and Mail speaks to this as well.

50 years in Canada and now I feel like a second class citizen

I live in a country with a lot of bigotry and I really appreciate what Canada offers to immigrants in terms of opportunities for integration. At the same time, I feel that Canadians tend to very quickly shy away from discussions of the racism and bigotry that is in Canada. Urban Canadians especially tend to dismiss the topic or deflect discussion onto issues in other places such as the US while restating how Canada is a country that really values multiculturalism and plurality. Again, I really appreciate what Canada does offer, but it's also true that Canada still has plenty of bigotry. Confronting it in an honest and thoughtful manner is a positive action and I think Nenshi is being a real community leader in doing so.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #3080
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need to vet refugees, didn't know about Nigel Wright....

Quote:
The Prime Minister’s Office directed Canadian immigration officials to stop processing one of the most vulnerable classes of Syrian refugees this spring and declared that all UN-referred refugees would require approval from the Prime Minister, a decision that halted a critical aspect of Canada’s response to a global crisis.

The Globe and Mail has learned that the Prime Minister intervened in a file normally handled by the Citizenship and Immigration department in the months before dramatic images of a dead toddler brought the refugee crisis to the fore. The processing stop, which was not disclosed to the public, was in place for at least several weeks. It is unclear when it was lifted. At the same time, an audit was ordered of all Syrian refugees referred by the United Nations in 2014 and 2015.

The Prime Minister’s Office asked Citizenship and Immigration for the files of some Syrian refugees so they could be vetted by the PMO – potentially placing political staff with little training in refugee matters in the middle of an already complex process.

PMO staff could have also had access to files that are considered protected, because they contain personal information, including a refugee’s health history and narrative of escape, raising questions about the privacy and security of that information and the basis on which it was being reviewed.

As a result of the halt, and the additional layers of scrutiny, families that had fled Syria and were judged by the United Nations refugee agency to be in need of resettlement had to wait longer to find refuge in Canada. It also meant there were fewer cases of UN-referred Syrians approved and ready for sponsorship when the public came forward in large numbers after the drowning death of three-year-old Alan Kurdi in August.

The Prime Minister’s Office did not directly respond to a request for comment, nor did it confirm Stephen Harper’s involvement.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle26713562/