Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Sasquatch/Coachello

Hi friends, so I have decided that this year instead of a big trip somewhere exotic or over seas, I want to hit both of these shows.

I have never even tried to book for these shows before, so I was wondering if anyone here has been to either and could share some wisdom on strategies that work best for making it a great experience.

I can't tent, I can in the bush by myself north of 60 no problem, but surrounded by mayhem I just can't handle that. So hotel or RV is the only option for me, for either show.

If anyone has no idea what I am talking about check these out..

http://www.coachella.com/

http://www.sasquatchfestival.com/

I am also looking for other suggestions on shows, especially any in Canada, that showcase this kind of talent.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 01-04-2017 at 03:22 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Been to Sasquatch twice. I don't know what kind of advice you are looking for, as it's a pretty simple affair.

It's probably too far from town to make driving in from a hotel every day worth it.

It gets really hot there. So drink water/get shade/etc.... Try not to get too drunk in the mornings. Being hung over at 3:00PM in the sun sucks. However, if you do want to drink, do it at your campsite or sneak in a mickey. The beer lines there are long and so are the bathroom lines. The food and beer there is overpriced in general, but it's a concert so nothing is new.

Watching a headlining band take the stage in the gorge right at sundown is probably one of the most epic things you will ever see.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'll have to RV it for Sasquatch. There's maybe one motel in the entire area, and I'm not even sure about that.

As for making Sasquatch a good experience, bring your own booze (it's super easy to sneak in), expect to get tons and tons of sun, and relax at times rather than try to find the best show for every minute.

As for the campground, don't expect to shower in anything other than your RV, I just went without as the lines were enormous. The campground is a mess and massive so plan a lot of time to set up.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Coachella is great but if you go, make sure you have some way of finding the people you're with....there are really no markers around anywhere.

If you're into electronic music, you may want to check out EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival). I went last year in LA at Trojan stadium and it was so good.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't been to Coachello yet, but for Sasquatch, you are going to want to RV it. There are not any hotels near by (well there is relatively speaking, but you are not going to want to drive to/from the venue each day/night.

With a RV you are going to want premium camping, I think it gives you hookups then.
You are going to have to keep checking the Sasquatch website for when tickets go on sale. Opening weekend is when you are going to want to purchase (actually the very first day). The tickets are the cheapest at this point, and if you don't purchase then premium camping will sell out.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to Coachella the past 3 years. The way the show was run has gone downhill each year but it can still be an awesome time if done right. The allowed daily attendance was increased last year to 85k/day from 60k and it was super crowded as opposed to the previous years.

I camped on the grounds all 3 years and each year the setup changed and got worse as they added to the attendance so definitely do a hotel. If they keep daily attendance up around 85k, traffic into and out of the parking lots each day is horrendous. It can take 4-5hrs to get parked so make sure you book a hotel within walking distance to the grounds. There aren't many and you're probably looking at a 30-45min walk but it beats a 5hr wait by car. Book early and check out hotel reviews on the coachella forum. There are many people that have gone for 10 years straight and know which hotels are good/close by/affordable.

Post some more specific questions and I'll be happy to give you more info.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 10-22-2010 at 11:02 AM.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Gondi Stylez
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went to Sasq last year. Nothing more to add then my two "thanks". You'll have a great time and this year is their anni or something!!!
Gondi Stylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pemberton 2011 or bust.

Always have wanted to go to Sasquatch, the Gorge looks like an amazing venue.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chalms04 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Grunt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is Pemberton actually going to go for 2011? Man was 2008 ever awesome.
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
Pemberton 2011 or bust.

Always have wanted to go to Sasquatch, the Gorge looks like an amazing venue.
Any confirmation on the 2011 event? I thought this was a one year deal.

Apparently they lost a ton of cash, and some of the organization for that festival was an absolute gongshow. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have busses travelling up and down and then making U-turns on a road that people were also on needs their head examined.

I waited 4 hours to drive from Whistler to Pemberton....Then on the way back we had to take a shuttle bus to get to our car, but they were using old school yellow school busses to ferry us. One of these busses fell into a ditch, which took several hours to clean up.

Edit: saw your response
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Great responses, thanks a lot guys and gals.

I don't really have any specific questions yet I was just looking for general opinions and I got them. I am looking into hotels right now for Coachello, Sasquatch I sent an email for when I can start booking RV's I am guessing that will be as soon as tickets go on sale.

In your experiences do the RV's generally fill up really fast, or are they a bit pricey and that scares people off? So far it seems hotels are difficult to track down, decent ones, even at this point.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

ttt

Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
I haven't been to Coachello yet, but for Sasquatch, you are going to want to RV it. There are not any hotels near by (well there is relatively speaking, but you are not going to want to drive to/from the venue each day/night.

With a RV you are going to want premium camping, I think it gives you hookups then.
You are going to have to keep checking the Sasquatch website for when tickets go on sale. Opening weekend is when you are going to want to purchase (actually the very first day). The tickets are the cheapest at this point, and if you don't purchase then premium camping will sell out.

Premier camping is conveniently located to access the amphitheatre, has superior views across the Gorge and has easy egress. These campsites are extra roomy and easily accessible to accommodate larger vehicles i.e. SUVs, RVs or travel trailers. Sorry, NO HOOK UPS.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

agreed on the hotels for coachella, we stayed in palm springs and getting in and out was a pain. that's kind of the trade off for these things though, anytime you cram that many people into a small area, traffic will be bad.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Line up looks pretty unreal.. I wonder who will all be touring with BSS.. for an event like Coachella does the whole team show up?

Amazing how many of those bands I don't recognize.. I guess I mainly listen to Canadian indie though.

I imagine by now it is probably to late to do anything anyway, all the good hotels/campsites are probably all booked up.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 01-19-2011 at 07:40 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to Sasquatch like 5-6 years ago...
At that time, if you had a camping pass, you were put out in a giant field with absolutely no cover, or shade (think southern Saskatchewan, but in central Washington). The only public washrooms/showers were at the very front of the field near the entrance to the venue, which, depending on when you arrived, was a good 20 minute walk. There were outhouses and wash up sinks scattered around the field, but by the Sunday morning, these were severely vandalized, and literally had poo rising up, above the seat.
Once you entered the camp ground, you were not permitted to leave, as there was no re-entry, so you had to ensure you had every supply you were going to need. There was a store, in the same building as the public washrooms, but everything was ridiculously expensive (including ice for keeping food cold).
Obviously, if you're in a RV of some sort, the washroom thing won't be too much of an issue, and I've heard from friends that they've changed some of their policies regarding re-entry.
It wasn't all crappy though...the concert line up was top notch, and the Gorge is a really amazing "natural" amphitheater, with a great backdrop to the stage. The weather was pretty great too, although the location does seem to get a lot of pretty big thunder storms. On the Saturday, a massive hail storm hit, and lasted a good hour, leaving an inch of hail on the ground. This lead to hundreds of people sliding down the hill for fun, as it's pretty steep.
Just make sure, like others have said, to drink a lot of water, and bring rain gear.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'd prefer to attend Brochella.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

^^ That's disgusting! I'd love to see that entire lineup (under a landslide!)
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to check out these festivals as well, but would hate the camping part. It always seems so dirty, crowded and uncomfortable. Doesn't appeal to me at all. I went to Pemberton for one day, and I'm glad I got to go home, shower, and sleep in my own bed at night.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote