Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

should we add matt murray to the list maybe? If fleury wins back the job this playoffs, then maybe they look at the higher value trade chip in murray being moved out......
Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although I don't think they're the most realistic options I added, Mrazec, Saros and Neuvirth.

Wish we could still make polls, this would be up by now

Of course then the front page would be full of "Greatest All Time Flames By Position" polls..
Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Just to add to the mix of opinions, I really do think this will be a spot where Treliving goes with a known commodity. 3 years of rolling the dice, and while goaltending is always a roll of the dice, he needs to add someone with a history of winning. And that goalie having a great record against Anaheim wouldn't hurt either.
I have a different take on Treliving's history with goaltenders. One of his first UFA acquisitions was Jonas Hiller in 2014, who was picked up in part to meet cap compliance, and also to contribute a veteran presence to a very young, rebuilding team. Even though the Flames surprisingly made the playoffs in 2015, Treliving was still working on finding a long term solution, and was rumoured to be in on both trades for Martin Jones and Cam Talbot. After a second year in which Hiller demonstrated he was no longer able to play competitively at the NHL level, Treliving was rumoured to be working on a deal to bring Matt Murray to Calgary.

I will agree that the Elliott and Johnson acquisitions from last summer were not Treliving's first choices—and I think given his history Elliott was quite possibly "Plan C" after he was unable to pluck Murray, and then to trade for Ben Bishop.

Treliving's history actually suggests that his first preference will be to find a younger goalie who is ready to be a big-game starter, and to grow with the current core. I think that this is what he will again try to do for a third year in a row—this might be his best chance with upcoming the expansion draft. The UFA goalie market, or a trade for a seasoned, older starter like MA Fleury is probably still a backup plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I added the poll. I did not include Saros because I do not believe there is even a remote possibility that the Predators move him.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
should we add matt murray to the list maybe? If fleury wins back the job this playoffs, then maybe they look at the higher value trade chip in murray being moved out......
No. Much like Nashville with Saros, I do not believe there is even a remote possibility that the Penguins move Murray. In an oversaturated market for goalies they will not be able to command a high enough return for even an emerging star goalie to make it worth their while.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #26
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I voted Bishop. No assets required to obtain him and he's pretty proven but only on a short term contract. Would like to see Gilles back him up.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #27
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wait, wut - the flames need a new starting goalie again!!!! first I have heard of this!!!

I'd select my son, but he is only 15 and would need some seasoning somewhere
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #28
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd want Mrazek, but realistically Detroit would need Gaudreau coming their way. He's their future

Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not against Darling or some of the others...lets be honest with ourselves though

If Bishop was the backup in Chicago all year he to would have ridiculous numbers
Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Ben Bishop. The guy has put up consistent numbers over several consecutive seasons before having a down year this past season. All of my viewings tell me he's going to at the very least be solid, and can sometimes be spectacular. He's still young for a goalie, and would be the perfect stop gap and mentor for Gillies and maybe Parsons.

2) Scott Darling. Think Ben Bishop "light". He doesn't have the time as a starter that Bishop has had, but he was forced to be the starter for an extended period of time this past year in Chicago when Crawford was injured, and he was exceptional. He's done well enough as the backup over the last few years to think he could be a diamond in the rough starter.

3) Marc-Andre Fleury. Pedigree, experience, and still solid skills. I don't agree with others who say his game has fallen off a cliff. Is he as good as he was when he was younger? Probably not, but then he always had some issues with consistency at times in his career. I want an experienced goaltender who knows what it takes to be a starter. The only reason he isn't the starter anymore in Pittsburgh is because of the emergency of Murray who is, IMO, the best young goaltender in the game. That's not really Fleury's fault.

To a lesser extent I'd be happy with Miller or Halak on a short term deal.

No high risk moves this time. Go for a guy that you are sure of.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #31
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i really want something proven this year when it comes to goaltending.... but i think that's an impossible feat.

I suppose bishop would be ok given that he has the most pedigree but likely the worst from a cap/contract perspective.

Fleury also has a ton of experience, and still looks to have game left. The acquisition cost shouldn't be unreasonable, and his contract is decent.

All the rest are in the "prove it" phase as far as being a starter is concerned in my opinion, which could pay off nicely for a team looking for improved goaltending, but the flames can ill afford another year with rocky goaltending.

I am glad i am not GM. I find it real frigin easy to bash management for poor decisions when they don't pan out, but having to make the call now with the options on the table, is very tough.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
I'd want Mrazek, but realistically Detroit would need Gaudreau coming their way. He's their future
Haha, that scenario isn't realistic at all.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #33
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

This really depends on who else the Flames are bringing in to help the team. Bring in Kovalchuk at 6 million and you still keep Stajan and Bouma around, well, chances are you can only afford Elliott at 3.5 million
Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #34
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Screw it I'm all in on Bishop. Proven starter, proven workhorse, saturated market should make him a bit cheaper, it seems to be a perfect fit.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Price or Saros as a starter

Gillies or Rittich back up
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #36
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I think I voted for Mrazek. Weirdly, I just completely blanked on who I just selected when I went to go refill my coffee.

In any event, my preference—all things being equal—would be to see Bishop in Calgary on a <5-year deal. I don't believe there is an especially realistic scenario that sees Detroit trade Mrazek, and Darling doesn't seem to me like a better option at 28-years-old.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-25-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #37
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
This really depends on who else the Flames are bringing in to help the team. Bring in Kovalchuk at 6 million and you still keep Stajan and Bouma around, well, chances are you can only afford Elliott at 3.5 million
My dream offseason is the departure of Stajan, Bouma, Brouwer. That frees up close to $10M bucks to re-allocate towards starting goaltending, top6 RW, and defensive depth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #38
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gilles, Riitch or Parsons.

Then they become the next Gibson/Murray/Vasilevsky/Andersen/Mrazek.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #39
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

See, I want Bishop but I don't want to pay what it's gonna cost. So Bishop but not really.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #40
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
See, I want Bishop but I don't want to pay what it's gonna cost. So Bishop but not really.
That's basically where I'm at with Bishop. He's probably the best option, but probably at the worst price.
Closed Thread