Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #41
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sucks but it seems the Nissan Quest isnt available in Canada.

I looked at the Honda Odyssey and it looks really sweet. Guess a test drive is in order. Besides resale value is there any other tangible differences between a caravan and a Odyssey?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is stupid. What is the point of a vehicle that moves 7 people if you don't even have a spot for a purse? Prius V, BTW. Just absolutely useless.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #43
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
It sucks but it seems the Nissan Quest isnt available in Canada.

I looked at the Honda Odyssey and it looks really sweet. Guess a test drive is in order. Besides resale value is there any other tangible differences between a caravan and a Odyssey?
I say this as a long time Dodge/Chrysler Owner, I have always had small issues with my vehicles....that cost roughly $800 per year on stuff I never thought I would have to deal with(Tie rod ends multiple times,slippery transmission) and this with regular dealership maintenance.

Honda's just seem to have better reliability and lower cost of ownership.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #44
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^
Yeah, how do you get out when you're in the 3rd row?
I guess you fold a seat down and climb over? You'll run into the same problem as if you had a 3-row SUV. Its really awkward for an adult to do.

You really need 2 captains chairs with an aisle to make the 3rd row usable. I think that may point you to a van, exclusively.

Does the Nissan Armada have an aisle?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #45
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
^^^
Yeah, how do you get out when you're in the 3rd row?
I guess you fold a seat down and climb over? You'll run into the same problem as if you had a 3-row SUV. Its really awkward for an adult to do.

You really need 2 captains chairs with an aisle to make the 3rd row usable. I think that may point you to a van, exclusively.

Does the Nissan Armada have an aisle?
The second row seats will food down then flip up to allow access to the 3rd row. There are thousands of different ways to build a vehicle and second row seating options are either a bench or buckets. Each manufacturers has their own way of acces tot he third row and different "designs", many of which awkward.

If looking at vans I would say the Toyota Sienna is the best van option on the market based on my personal and professional experience. Once you get beyond 4 passengers most crossovers are useless and many SUVs come up short as well, specially if you are on a budget.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 04-25-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #46
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I say this as a long time Dodge/Chrysler Owner, I have always had small issues with my vehicles....that cost roughly $800 per year on stuff I never thought I would have to deal with(Tie rod ends multiple times,slippery transmission) and this with regular dealership maintenance.

Honda's just seem to have better reliability and lower cost of ownership.
After talking with two neighbors that both had Caravans, an 09 and an 11, I will never ever consider buying Chrysler. Both sounded like absolute nightmares to own with a multitude of issues. Both had their transmissions replaced before 100K with one looking at a second replacement. Brake issues, power issues door issues, this list was long.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #47
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
After talking with two neighbors that both had Caravans, an 09 and an 11, I will never ever consider buying Chrysler. Both sounded like absolute nightmares to own with a multitude of issues. Both had their transmissions replaced before 100K with one looking at a second replacement. Brake issues, power issues door issues, this list was long.
Yep, these were similar issues I faced.

Last edited by Since1984; 04-25-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a co-worker with a Caravan, same issues. Brakes, tie rods, transmission, all before 100k.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #49
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Friends of ours recently traded in thier Grand Caravan for a 12 passenger Ford Transit. I am totally jealous of the room in that thing. I could haul my whole family and a load of renovation materials at the same time!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #50
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Friends of ours recently traded in thier Grand Caravan for a 12 passenger Ford Transit. I am totally jealous of the room in that thing. I could haul my whole family and a load of renovation materials at the same time!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #51
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want something a bit more unique, don't forget the Transit Connect passenger van. They aren't very common in passenger form, and many dealers don't stock them, but they are an option.

Being a box it has a ton of space on the inside, but has a relatively small footprint on the outside. Lots of glass too so you can see out of it, and the driving dynamics were actually more car like than I anticipated. The only downside is the horrendously over-designed Ford dashboards.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #52
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

screw your specifications and get a Mercedes G63
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #53
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
screw your specifications and get a Mercedes G63
But only if it's the 6x6.

Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

the back is for the machine gun mount
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #55
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

We loved our Santa Fe, and that could easily be had for less than 30k. But we had the 5 seater, the 7 has pretty much no trunk with the seats folded up.

I'd suggest the Odyssey, it's a great van but it's a Honda so don't buy one.
Check out the Kia Sedona. Great van, a little boring to drive but it's a van so that shipped sailed, and you get a lot for your money with them. Brand new might be a tad close to your budget but I'd recommend buying a year or 2 old used anyway
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #56
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

For your budget price, you're probably looking at a Dodge Caravan if you want to buy new. I think there is good value there but would consider trading it before the powertrain warranty expires.

For your budget, a 2-3 year old Honda Odyssey is worth looking at. A used Chey Tahoe also might work.

My sister and our friends had Toyota Siennas, and both had problems with them. Iirc the power sliding doors in particular.

Edit: my wife and I also looked at a Buick Enclave at one point. We thought it was a bit big for what we needed, but she loved that thing. Might be worth a look.

Last edited by automaton 3; 04-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #57
WinColumn
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have one toddler and we bought a Sienna. We use it to tow a tent trailer and you can load all sorts of crap in the back. I can put a stroller in unfolded.

As others have said, the sliding doors are essential, especially for loading and unloading in a tight garage.

Go for a used Sienna or Odyssey. They should last forever.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
WinColumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #58
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get the base model dodge Journey or Dodge Caravan 2 years old. New they are 20k. 2 years old you can find them for 12-14 with warrenty left on them.

There is no better value out there. Yes they are underpowered with the 4 cyl engine in them but you are buying a box with wheels spend the savings on a zippy little 2nd car.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #59
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a reminder that the Sienna is the only van with AWD on the market which in Calgary is a big deal for 6 months of the year (11?) You do get run flats though...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #60
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
We loved our Santa Fe, and that could easily be had for less than 30k. But we had the 5 seater, the 7 has pretty much no trunk with the seats folded up.

I'd suggest the Odyssey, it's a great van but it's a Honda so don't buy one.
Check out the Kia Sedona. Great van, a little boring to drive but it's a van so that shipped sailed, and you get a lot for your money with them. Brand new might be a tad close to your budget but I'd recommend buying a year or 2 old used anyway
Why not buy a Honda?
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote