Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
And that is where the similarities end. He plays a different position, is better defensively, but nowhere near offensively talented as either player. Just a strange comparison.

By no means should the team trade Backlund but at the same time that is one of the most unrealistic comparisons I have ever read, why not compare him to Forsberg while we are at it.
Wow. I suppose heart of the team isn't a comparable either. Don't be so smug as to think the ONLY tangible, comparable traits are goals and assists. As far as growing to be an integral part of team success goes, and perhaps a guy who bleeds team colours for life, I sure as hell do believe Backlund is right there with the two players I mentioned.

Last edited by dammage79; 04-22-2017 at 10:58 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #22
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok, I troll, I admit it.

But seriously backlund is the very heart of this team, he drives them to where ever they go.

He stays
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #23
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to keep him and 5 years is probably fair but I would bet he gets 6m a season

He might only be at this level for another 3, and then maybe he just becomes a more defensive guy

But he drives the bus on the team, the possession stats were insane, plus you would never get fair value for him
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #24
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The window is opening next year. The last thing you want to do is weaken the roster, especially up the middle. When you're still rebuilding you can dump upcoming UFAs to stockpile picks/prospects/etc. But when it's time to go for it, the present has to take priority.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem is the Flames really have little depth from which to make a trade. I suppose if Bennett or Jankowski emerge as an elite center you could consider trading Backlund. Absent that, you can't win without being strong down the middle so trading him makes little sense.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #26
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Key part in Carey Price trade, which will be 3 way involving Fleury to Mtl
Old 04-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #27
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Backlund is not our 3rd line Centre. He's our second

Bennett has not proven he can be a top 6 centre yet. Let him prove that first before there is any talk of trading Backlund
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:48 PM   #28
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Players like Backlund will always serve a purpose on a team. Even if he starts to score less as age goes, he will still be serviceable. His defensive awareness and ability to make those around him better is his key. He has shown the ability to make even the less talented or raw rookies look NHL ready.

Speed isn't his forte, but rather his positional and hockey iq. You cant teach that. Jankowski still could be a bust, we don't know that for sure. Best to sign Backlund. He should have an A.
soulchoice is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #29
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Players like Backlund will always serve a purpose on a team. Even if he starts to score less as age goes, he will still be serviceable. His defensive awareness and ability to make those around him better is his key. He has shown the ability to make even the less talented or raw rookies look NHL ready.

Speed isn't his forte, but rather his positional and hockey iq. You cant teach that. Jankowski still could be a bust, we don't know that for sure. Best to sign Backlund. He should have an A.
He won fastest skater in the skills competition this year.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #30
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As much as I like Backlund I'm not giving him anywhere close to 6 million. He was absolutely fantastic this year during the season but part of the reason we lost is because he is our 2nd line centre. He doesn't have the offensive ability to be paid that amount of money or be a player you can count on in the playoffs to create during crunch time. Absolute perfect 3rd line centre but nothing more. I wouldn't even trade him because you aren't going to get some crazy player in return either.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #31
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's not good enough offensively to give him $6 million but there is no way you should trade him unless it's an offer you absolutely can't refuse.

He's the only good defensive Center we have and no offense to Bennett, Stajan and Monahan but there is nobody who could replace him.

5x5.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:46 AM   #32
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
As much as I like Backlund I'm not giving him anywhere close to 6 million. He was absolutely fantastic this year during the season but part of the reason we lost is because he is our 2nd line centre. He doesn't have the offensive ability to be paid that amount of money or be a player you can count on in the playoffs to create during crunch time. Absolute perfect 3rd line centre but nothing more. I wouldn't even trade him because you aren't going to get some crazy player in return either.
I think that Backs could score 70 if he was given butter o-zone minutes, copious amounts of time on the #1PP and was paired with Gaudreau.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:02 AM   #33
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backlund's contribution goes beyond just being a great shutdown player. He also makes his teammates better. Look at his wingers who have had strong/career years who have seen their stats decline away from Backlund: Bouma, Colborne, Bennett, Tkachuk(?).

I know this been said before in this thread, but it's worth mentioning again.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #34
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I think you're really underselling Backlund here. Comparing the years of 3rd line centres of some of the top teams in the NHL this year, Backlund vastly outscores all of them. While I understand that this has been a good year for him, I think it's disingenuous to call Backlund offensively a perfect 3rd line centre based on this year he just had. Bergeron had the same amount of points and he most definitely would be considered a top line centre.

Calgary: Mikael Backlund (22G/31A/53P)

3rd Line Centres:
Washington: Lars Eller (12G/13A/25P) $3.5M
Pittsburgh: Nick Bonino (18G/19A/37P) $1.9M
Anaheim: Antoine Vermette (9G/19A/28P) $1.75M
Chicago: Marcus Kruger (5G/12A/17P) $3.08M
San Jose: Tomas Hertl (10G/12A/22P) $3M
Edmonton: Mark Letestu (16G/19A/35P) $1.8M

He's definitely more comparable offensively to the 2nd line centres, while maintaining a heavy defensive workload. He's obviously below the high end centres (Malkin, Kuznetsov), while being comparable to the rest of the centres on the list.

2nd Line Centres:
Washington: Evgeny Kuznetsov (19G/40A/59P) $3M
Pittsburgh: Evgeni Malkin (33G/39A/72P) $9.5M
Anaheim: Ryan Kesler (22G/36A/58P) $6.875M
Chicago: Artem Anisimov (22G/23A/45P) $4.55M
San Jose: Logan Couture (25G/27A/52P) $6M
Edmonton: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (18G/25A/43P) $6M

Based on these numbers, $5M would be a steal and $6M would probably be about (or just below) market value.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #35
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Also - he hates the Canucks and the Oilers.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:31 AM   #36
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Here is my thinking.

July 1 comes around you offer Backs a 5Mx4Y contract.

You also offer Martin Hanzal a 4.5Mx4Y contract.

I see Hanzal as a very similar player. He is also very good defensively, way better in the dot, and better goal scorer. Backlund does drive play better. Negotiate with both players to see which one you can get on the contract that makes the most sense. Factoring in that if you go the Hanzal route you trade Backlund for probably a decent haul.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:51 AM   #37
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Mikeal Backlund: Long term piece, or sell high trade bait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Here is my thinking.

July 1 comes around you offer Backs a 5Mx4Y contract.

You also offer Martin Hanzal a 4.5Mx4Y contract.

I see Hanzal as a very similar player. He is also very good defensively, way better in the dot, and better goal scorer. Backlund does drive play better. Negotiate with both players to see which one you can get on the contract that makes the most sense. Factoring in that if you go the Hanzal route you trade Backlund for probably a decent haul.
This take is:

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-23-2017 at 09:51 AM.
MoreDrank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoreDrank For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 05:14 AM   #38
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any decisions about trading Backlund are for the trade deadline. It all depends on how the Flames are doing and how pieces like Jankowski are emerging.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #39
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski may very well force one of our centers out, but that's an egg not hatched yet.
In the mean time we do what we reasonably can to keep #11 where he is.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #40
debil
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sell high but not sure anyone would be willing to give big return for a guy that didn't show up for seven seasons, had one fluke regualr season and disappeared again in the playoffs.
debil is offline   Reply With Quote