Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #41
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

#1 goalie

Scoring RW

#4 D

If the Flames are filling these through free agency, there's probably only enough money for two of the three.

As the marque forward available, some team going to blow their brains out with money and term for Oshie. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5 x 6 mil. And it's extremely unlikely he'll sign with a Canadian team. So I don't see it as realistic.

Radulov likely re-signs with Montreal. Then we're getting down to guys 34+ at the tail end of their career. There's really not a lot there.

So I don't see where we'll fill that RW slot outside a trade. And a trade for a true #1 RW would cost the Flames a core piece. Not a road I see this team going down.

In net, we're probably looking at Bishop or MAF. Or Treliving might take a shot at one of the younger guys looking to become a starter.

The obvious choice for a #4 D is Alzner. But again, as the premier defenceman available, he'll cost an arm and a leg. Is it worth it to upgrade the second pair? I think it is. Stone is fine in that slot. But no more than fine. Alzner slotted beside Brodie, with Stone in the 3rd pairing with a younger player, really improves the Flames D.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #42
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting Goalie, Physical D×2, Losing Brouwer to LV.
Forward depth I like and who we lose to FA can be replaced with a good crop coming up and found also in FA. Flames are not going to lose any forward that was a major impact. I think Versteeg will resign. The HC, GM and players liked what he added to the team, he was solid.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #43
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Needs, in order:

1) #1 goalie

2) #4 defenseman

3) Top line right winger.

The exact same s*** we needed last year. Get it figured out Treliving. This same old story is getting boring.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #44
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Needs, in order:

1) #1 goalie

2) #4 defenseman

The exact same s*** we needed last year. Get it figured out Treliving. This same old story is getting boring.
The Flames were not able to add a #4 defensemen last summer with Wideman still under contract. Otherwise, I suspect things would have worked out differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #45
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Oshie makes me salivate
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #46
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Oshie makes me salivate
I don't see Oshie choosing to sign here.

He'll have his pick of many elite teams, and is American. I think there's almost no chance he'd come here unfortunately.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #47
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Needs, in order:

1) #1 goalie

2) #4 defenseman

Haha.

First off, he couldn't go out and spend valuable assets to get a top notch #4 defenseman because they'd just lose that player in the expansion draft. Bye bye acquisition assets, and bye bye #4 Dman. So either way we'd still be looking for a good #4 Dman. Finding a pending UFA like Stone, who wants to be in Calgary so we can actually wait to sign until after expansion was a near stroke of genius by Treliving. Especially with the way he fit the roster like a glove on the 2nd pairing with Brodie.

Secondly, he's been hot after a goalie ever since the end of the 2014/15 season, and that was despite Hiller and Ramo having decent years that season. He was rumored to be in on Jones and Talbot that off season, and later that season he was rumored to be in on Murray, but Murray soon got called up to the Pens with the MAF injury and that was that. Also, in regards to Jones and Talbot, he let them go when Dougie Hamilton was made available which makes sense. Better take the 21 year old 40+ point stud RHD you know you can get instead of waiting around to see if you can still land one of the goalies and risk ending up with neither.

He was also hot after Bishop, but supposedly dropped that when it was clear the price was too high not only to acquire him, but also to extend him. So instead he went out and got 2 of the top 5 save percentage leaders from last season to platoon in net, which I don't remember anyone complaining about too much when it happened. Even then there was still rumors of him flipping Elliott + for Bishop.

As for the top line right winger, which top line RW did he miss out on in the last calendar year? I don't recall one being traded, and besides Okposo there really wasn't one available as a UFA last summer. Do you really doubt that BT hasn't turned over every rock and shaken every tree the NHL has to find one?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel the need, the need for speed....
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #49
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Speedster who can forecheck like there's no tomorrow

Grinder who can lay punishing bodychecks
simonarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #50
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonarea View Post
Grinder who can lay punishing bodychecks
Promote Hathaway full time. Perfect 4th liner.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #51
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha.

First off, he couldn't go out and spend valuable assets to get a top notch #4 defenseman because they'd just lose that player in the expansion draft. Bye bye acquisition assets, and bye bye #4 Dman. So either way we'd still be looking for a good #4 Dman. Finding a pending UFA like Stone, who wants to be in Calgary so we can actually wait to sign until after expansion was a near stroke of genius by Treliving. Especially with the way he fit the roster like a glove on the 2nd pairing with Brodie.

Secondly, he's been hot after a goalie ever since the end of the 2014/15 season, and that was despite Hiller and Ramo having decent years that season. He was rumored to be in on Jones and Talbot that off season, and later that season he was rumored to be in on Murray, but Murray soon got called up to the Pens with the MAF injury and that was that. Also, in regards to Jones and Talbot, he let them go when Dougie Hamilton was made available which makes sense. Better take the 21 year old 40+ point stud RHD you know you can get instead of waiting around to see if you can still land one of the goalies and risk ending up with neither.

He was also hot after Bishop, but supposedly dropped that when it was clear the price was too high not only to acquire him, but also to extend him. So instead he went out and got 2 of the top 5 save percentage leaders from last season to platoon in net, which I don't remember anyone complaining about too much when it happened. Even then there was still rumors of him flipping Elliott + for Bishop.

As for the top line right winger, which top line RW did he miss out on in the last calendar year? I don't recall one being traded, and besides Okposo there really wasn't one available as a UFA last summer. Do you really doubt that BT hasn't turned over every rock and shaken every tree the NHL has to find one?
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying here, but after the draft, and after some salaries come off the books, he has no excuses left to not address these needs in SOME SORT of meaningful way. No more half measures. Go get a guy, especially in goal.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #52
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying here, but after the draft, and after some salaries come off the books, he has no excuses left to not address these needs in SOME SORT of meaningful way. No more half measures. Go get a guy, especially in goal.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Getting a solid top line RW might still be tricky, but for #4 D the worst we should expect is Stone, because the only reason I can see for him not to be back is because the expansion draft shook somebody even better loose, and this off season will be the best time in a long time to get a top notch goalie.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #53
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Agree wholeheartedly.

Getting a solid top line RW might still be tricky, but for #4 D the worst we should expect is Stone, because the only reason I can see for him not to be back is because the expansion draft shook somebody even better loose, and this off season will be the best time in a long time to get a top notch goalie.
I'm in the midst of doing a mock expansion draft and I'm shocked to see so many good players un-signed. Free agency is going to be insane this year, especially for goalies and defensemen.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #54
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

#1 goaltender and a top 3 rw.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #55
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames offseason will be dependent on what Stockton does these playoffs. But I wonder if the Flames can pull off the following:

1) Lose Brouwer to Expansion
2) Trade Bouma + Stajan
3) Re-sign Versteeg + Stone to fair deals
4) Acquire a number one goalie
5) Hire better goalie coach

There's a few free agents I think the Flames should consider if the deal makes sense, namely:

-- Bishop
-- Iginla
-- Radulov
-- Jagr
-- Oshie
-- Hudler
-- Bernier
-- Alzner
-- Hanzal
-- Vanek
-- Shattenkirk
-- J. Schultz
-- Bonino
-- Yakupov
-- Eaves
-- Elliott

I don't think acquiring anyone from free agency is a big priority. I think there's better players to be had via trades, such as a #1 goalie. I would also have to agree that the Flames really need to get push from prospects, namely:

-- Jankowski
-- Klimchuck
-- Mangiapane
-- Shinkaruk
-- Kylington
-- Andersson
-- Gillies

I'm not worried if the Flames don't re-sign Engelland, Chiasson or Johnson, but I would explore Engelland depending on his ask. I think the Flames should prioritize on ensuring they get the right Bennett, Lazar and Ferland contracts
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #56
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
or wah wah wah?
Is it ok if I hear that as all the Adults on Peanuts?
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #57
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ironically for about a decade Flames' strength were G and RW and now those are our biggest needs.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #58
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I think we should stay the heck away from TJ Oshie. The guy shot 23% this year. He's a career 12% shooter. He's going to regress right back to barely cracking 20 goals a year.

Now I would be thrilled to have a 20-goal scoring 1st line right wing. But at 4.5 million dollars a year. Not the 6+ that Oshie's probably looking for.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #59
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Biggest needs going into the season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
What are teams biggest needs going into the offseason?

For me:

A true #1 goaltender(someone who can play 60+ games and post above .920 Save % and a GA of 2.25-2.35.)

Very good 2 top 6 forward(one preferably a top line RW to play on the top line and another one to play with Bennett.)

A very good top 4 defensive defenceman(some one is physical.)

Young depth in the bottom 6(get rid of Brouwer, Bouma and Stajan.)

Fix the bottom of the D.

Get rid of the dead weight.
So,

Gaudreau – Monahan – _____
Tkachuk – Backlund – Frolik
_____ – Bennett – _____
Ferland – Lazar – _____
_____ –_____

Giordano – Hamilton
Brodie – _____
_____ – _____
_____

_____
_____
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #60
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
?

You guys are the ones with the same bitching about goalies like last year.

Last year it was justified. This year it's not. Elliott is good value, all of your replacement suggestions will bring similar performance at a higher price.

I'm fine with replacing him if there's a good deal to be had though. Definitely don't think it's as important as you whiners.
Do you really want to roll the dice with Elliott again next year?

I watched the Bos-Ott game last night and it was wild to actually watch goalies make timely saves throughout the game. I want no part of the Elliott horror show in next years playoffs.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote