Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will the Tkachuk hearing result be?
No discipine 57 14.29%
Fine 175 43.86%
1 game 123 30.83%
2 games 37 9.27%
3 games 3 0.75%
4 or more games 4 1.00%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #161
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
@myregularface posted the hit on Tkachuk afterwards.

See it here
The retaliation elbow is worse then Chuckys shoulder/back hit.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #162
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who missed it this was Craig Button's take on the Tkachuk hit on Doughty.

Says supplementary discipline is a possibility, but this is exactly the guy the Flames wanted when they drafted him. Not nearly as sucky as Shannon is about the incident.

http://www.tsn.ca/doughty-on-tkachuk...t-kid-1.701024
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #163
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made my thoughts on this particular play known and for sure the aggressor and the victim are playing a big role into why this is such a story and why it's getting a hearing.

All of that said, the constant "but what about this" argument that goes on (everywhere) with fans when their player gets or might get suspended, and all the situations that have happened that didn't incur discipline get brought up as though that's a good argument as to why this situation can't get discipline. It's basically saying, you aren't allowed to make any mistakes NHL, and if you do, you aren't allowed to do anything with the things you do catch or decide to look at. Can you imagine if all other areas of life worked like that?

Here you go Mr. Murderer, you get to go free, as we were unable to convict some other murder's of their crimes, and it wouldn't be right to punish you if we can't assure you all other murders will also be caught and convicted.

Tkachuk has earned the fact that folks in the NHL aren't going to look the other way with him (and I'm not complaining, he's what we need), just part of the price he's going to have to pay to play the way he does.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #164
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still no evidence of an elbow at all. Looks like Tkachuk backed into Doughty and made contact with the head.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #165
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gronk would be proud

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #166
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as no one is injured, I have no issue with it. We need players from other teams thinking twice before they take liberties on our players. Just look at what JG puts up with. Maybe if he threw a few elbows, they would lay off him a bit. This team is too much of a push over at times.

Of course, my favourite player back in the day was Gary Roberts, who also had a bit of a nasty streak.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #167
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuck is developing a reputation. First the slew footing and now elbows to the head. No place for either in the game in my opinion. If the league does not step in to enforce thing like this with suspensions (they won't) then players will take it into their own hands. He's playing with fire and is going to get himself hurt, along with whomever he takes out along the way. This is the stuff the league needs to crack down on if they are at all serious about concussions and head injuries.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #168
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
All of that said, the constant "but what about this" argument that goes on (everywhere) with fans when their player gets or might get suspended, and all the situations that have happened that didn't incur discipline get brought up as though that's a good argument as to why this situation can't get discipline. It's basically saying, you aren't allowed to make any mistakes NHL, and if you do, you aren't allowed to do anything with the things you do catch or decide to look at. Can you imagine if all other areas of life worked like that?

Here you go Mr. Murderer, you get to go free, as we were unable to convict some other murder's of their crimes, and it wouldn't be right to punish you if we can't assure you all other murders will also be caught and convicted.
When games and specific plays are able to be reviewed after the fact (just like this so called ‘elbow’) then no the NHL can’t arbitrarily pick and choose which are reviewed/disciplined and which are deemed OK.

With that said I’m not surprised, spin the wheel NHL justice department.

https://distinctkickingmotion.files....ie-l_40864.jpg
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #169
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a quote from Tkachuk himself from a TSN story back in early Feb - but seems appropo to show again.

Quote:
“It’s just how I play the game,” Tkachuk said. “My dad was telling me he’d rather see me play hard and I might get forced into something rather than playing soft and not being around the puck. I just try and be around the puck as much as possible and be in the game as much as I can.”
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/flames-tkac...ation-1.667949
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #170
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fine if MT is suspended for a game, to me that's no more then a 2 minute elbowing penalty, but Pearson's retaliation was to me completely about targeting and he's not being called up on the carpet.

At some point MT is going to dial it back a bit, he's a 19 year old and 19 year olds tend to be all about energy and stupidity at times. He'll find that edge and stray over it less.

The hyperbole of other fans like LA fans and Oiler fans is unbelievable though, you'd think that MT had loaded up his elbow pad with metal coins and tried to kill Doughty.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #171
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope we draft his equally douchy and talented brother Brady next year.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #172
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Fine if MT is suspended for a game, to me that's no more then a 2 minute elbowing penalty, but Pearson's retaliation was to me completely about targeting and he's not being called up on the carpet.

At some point MT is going to dial it back a bit, he's a 19 year old and 19 year olds tend to be all about energy and stupidity at times. He'll find that edge and stray over it less.

The hyperbole of other fans like LA fans and Oiler fans is unbelievable though, you'd think that MT had loaded up his elbow pad with metal coins and tried to kill Doughty.
Tkachuk has dialed it back. 1 penalty in his last 20 games, and this to me is a borderline fine at best.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #173
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Tkachuck is developing a reputation. First the slew footing and now elbows to the head. No place for either in the game in my opinion. If the league does not step in to enforce thing like this with suspensions (they won't) then players will take it into their own hands. He's playing with fire and is going to get himself hurt, along with whomever he takes out along the way. This is the stuff the league needs to crack down on if they are at all serious about concussions and head injuries.
Can't forget about the 'headbutt' either.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #174
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
For those who missed it this was Craig Button's take on the Tkachuk hit on Doughty.

Says supplementary discipline is a possibility, but this is exactly the guy the Flames wanted when they drafted him. Not nearly as sucky as Shannon is about the incident.

http://www.tsn.ca/doughty-on-tkachuk...t-kid-1.701024
Not nearly as sucky as > 50% of the posters on here.
ie: Tkachuk is "dangerous and out of control"!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #175
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
and then the Canuck fans will call them the Tkachuk Sisters.

I'm all onboard to drafting him!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #176
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I honestly don't see an issue with this. He is aware of the player coming in and prepares for a check. I don't see intent at all. The most should have been a 2 min call on the ice.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #177
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the all-star break, Matthew Tkachuk was 2nd in NHL with 92 PIM. Since then, he's tied for 403rd with 4 PIM. Coyote G Mike Smith has more.

https://twitter.com/DarrenWHaynes/st...54673165668354
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #178
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No problem with the play, should have been a penalty but whatever. Also fine if he gets a slap on the wrist but if he does it won't be much, I suspect a fine.

I hated watching the Kings crosscheck the hell out of Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler that last game two years ago. Pretty sure Hudler never recovered from the beating his arm took. Flames need to be tougher and stronger on the puck and in the dirty areas. If it takes a 19 year old rookie to take them there so be it.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #179
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
At the all-star break, Matthew Tkachuk was 2nd in NHL with 92 PIM. Since then, he's tied for 403rd with 4 PIM. Coyote G Mike Smith has more.

https://twitter.com/DarrenWHaynes/st...54673165668354
Nobody cares about facts or information.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #180
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
...and bigger!
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...80&encode=TRUE
Closed Thread