Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #4481
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
TAlso has through axles...although I'm not really sure what the benefit of that is, ha.
To your earlier question, absolutely discs.

Rim brakes seem to need constant adjustment, and grime builds up and interferes with their operation eventually.

If you want a low maintenance disc brake, just go BB7s and you'll likely never need to touch them again. They aren't the prettiest, unfortunately, but they are the absolute best mechanical disc.

I personally have never had maintenance issues with any hydraulic discs, but BB7s are basically the absolute safest option in that department, so you have a fallback if you find hydros painful for some reason.

The through axle is fantastic for discs. It means if you ever have to take your wheel off, it will go back on in the exact same position, and there will be no readjustment needed.

Depending on the style of through axle, the other big benefit is rigidity. This is a way bigger deal on a mountain bike, probably of negligible benefit here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #4482
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
If you want a low maintenance disc brake, just go BB7s and you'll likely never need to touch them again. They aren't the prettiest, unfortunately, but they are the absolute best mechanical disc.
Actually, TRP Spyre's are now seen as the go to mechanical disc. They have a twin piston design like their hydro cousins that make them easier to setup and center.

They're about the same price too.
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #4483
leah12
Draft Pick

Looking for some advice on a new fork. I have a Kona Nunu and I'm looking for a fork that will fit a 26' wheel, 1 1/8 diameter, 100mm travel, straight not tapered.

Thinking about getting a Rock Shox TK 30 Gold or maybe silver. Any advice on forks?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #4484
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah12 View Post
Looking for some advice on a new fork. I have a Kona Nunu and I'm looking for a fork that will fit a 26' wheel, 1 1/8 diameter, 100mm travel, straight not tapered.

Thinking about getting a Rock Shox TK 30 Gold or maybe silver. Any advice on forks?
I think that's your best bet unless you find something used. I'm assuming it's also a 9mm QR and not a thru axle. I know when I needed a similar fork I ended up getting the TK 30 for my friends bike. It was reasonably priced. On the heavy side from what I was replacing, (Manitou R7) but it worked. He's happy with it.

Looks like CRC now carries this
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod149015

and jenson this
http://www.jensonusa.com/Forks/Rocks...rk-26?cs=Black

Last edited by bossy22; 04-24-2017 at 01:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #4485
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
They have a twin piston design like their hydro cousins that make them easier to setup and center.

They're about the same price too.
Those are a lot nicer looking.

BB7s also had the adjustment on either side, via knob. So no tools and you could fix a rubbing brake without dinking around. That was my favorite feature.

I have some other off-brand cable discs on my commuter that are meh, and I may check out the Spyres as a replacement. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #4486
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

I personally have never had maintenance issues with any hydraulic discs, but BB7s are basically the absolute safest option in that department, so you have a fallback if you find hydros painful for some reason.
Thanks, good to know. I think I'll be going with discs, and if that's the case, I might as well go hydraulic. The maintenance doesn't seem that hard to do.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #4487
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Thanks, good to know. I think I'll be going with discs, and if that's the case, I might as well go hydraulic. The maintenance doesn't seem that hard to do.
On my mountain bike which has notoriously crappy hydraulics on it, lots of years of hard use, a few crashes and I think I've had them bled once. Pad changes are dead easy. Stopping power is magnificent and predictable.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #4488
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bleeding some of them (my commuter has avid 3's which were recycled from my mountain bike) can be very tricky and required a kit for $70. Given it is my only bike with avoids, I left the job to the Pro's at Cyclepath.

I tried to bleed the xt' son my thunderbolt on the weekend and I either made a mess of them, or I have a bigger issue. I wound up taking that bike to Cyclepath as well and given I have not heard from them, I assume I may have a leaky caliper or lever.

Just to cap off my frustrating Sunday of bike wrenching, it tried to convert my wife's bike to tubeless using the Schawlow rocket Ron tires and could not get them to inflate at all. At first I figured my compressor was too weak, so I ran to lowes and bought a new one, and still no luck. Tried with a set of maxis I had for my thunderbolt and had the job done in about 10 minutes. That orange seal stuff can be messy.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #4489
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pathways belong to us winter riders again today!

Yay?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #4490
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, put the studs back on. Yesterday I went and bought full wheel fenders, glad I had them today. They are kind of manky though, so hopefully they don't cause issues in the real winter. They were a PITA to get setup centred. Biggest issue? The fenders don't fit in my bike rack at work or home now!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #4491
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Bleeding some of them (my commuter has avid 3's which were recycled from my mountain bike) can be very tricky and required a kit for $70. Given it is my only bike with avoids, I left the job to the Pro's at Cyclepath.

I tried to bleed the xt' son my thunderbolt on the weekend and I either made a mess of them, or I have a bigger issue. I wound up taking that bike to Cyclepath as well and given I have not heard from them, I assume I may have a leaky caliper or lever.

Just to cap off my frustrating Sunday of bike wrenching, it tried to convert my wife's bike to tubeless using the Schawlow rocket Ron tires and could not get them to inflate at all. At first I figured my compressor was too weak, so I ran to lowes and bought a new one, and still no luck. Tried with a set of maxis I had for my thunderbolt and had the job done in about 10 minutes. That orange seal stuff can be messy.
I used to ride only Schwalbe's, but then I started having issues with running their tubeless tires. Their UST tires were great, but their tubeless ones were a pain in the ass. I switched to Specialized and have really liked them. They seat really well, and they are a lot cheaper than the Schwalbe's.

Do you use a valve core remover when doing Orange Seal? Makes life so easy. Get the tire on and seated, pull the core, put in the Orange Seal through the stem, put back the core and inflate. No hassle, no mess.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #4492
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

My fenders were caked with slush today, it was like having the difficulty level cranked up all the way here. Luckily, I had a tailwind so it wasn't too difficult.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #4493
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
My fenders were caked with slush today, it was like having the difficulty level cranked up all the way here. Luckily, I had a tailwind so it wasn't too difficult.
Well I hope I get that wind at my back on the way home, cause it sucked riding into this morning with all the extra weight of slush and the old bike compared to the new one.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #4494
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I used to ride only Schwalbe's, but then I started having issues with running their tubeless tires. Their UST tires were great, but their tubeless ones were a pain in the ass. I switched to Specialized and have really liked them. They seat really well, and they are a lot cheaper than the Schwalbe's.

Do you use a valve core remover when doing Orange Seal? Makes life so easy. Get the tire on and seated, pull the core, put in the Orange Seal through the stem, put back the core and inflate. No hassle, no mess.
next time I am at the LBS I am going to pick up a valve removal tool to make the process easier.

for now I am really liking the maxxis ardent - frustrating part is that I got the schwalbe's set up the first time, and they went flat. it dawned on my that perhaps the rims were not a tubeless set up, so I took the tire off and ran some gorilla tape around the rim. when I went to reseat the schwalbe's - there was so much gap between the rim and tire that it seemed they would never seat, whereas the maxxis were much tighter to the rim - hated to dip into my private stock as I was saving those tires for my trip to revelstoke in august - but I'll just have to get new ones - I guess.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #4495
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Valve removal tool? Don't you just twist it off with needle nose pliers?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #4496
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valve core removal tool. You can get them at any auto parts shop too. By taking the core out, you remove flow restriction and can fill it with a burst of air. You then need to get the core back in, but the bead should be seated by then.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #4497
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

How many PSI does your compressor max out at?

It doesn't matter how much your compressor flows, but more the tank size and PSI.

For car lug nut removal, I jacked my max up from 100 to 120 on my compressor and it made a world of difference not only in torque applied on bolts, but also tubeless setups.

The pressure differential and air volume is what matters to get the tire seated up.

I've run Ardents a few times and really like them as well. Very easy to setup tubeless. Specialized tires are a really good deal, the Butcher is fairly comparable to an Ardent and also sets up really easy.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #4498
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought one of these at bow's blue light sale.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ac...-117288/117288

you fill it up with your regular pump to 140psi, then you hook it up to your tire, flip the switch and bam. I also have a compressor, but with this, I can take on bike trips. I have yet to try it though. I will be next week on my wife's bike.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #4499
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

a lot easier to ride in today without the 15 pounds of slush stuck to my bike!
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #4500
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attention guy driving the 109 bus: if I can touch your bus when you're passing me, you are way too close. Now your supervisor knows. If 20 other buses go by and give me ample room, what exactly is your excuse?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread