Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #41
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Saw this tweet today:

Pat Sieloff ‏@PatSieloff
We take life for granted sometimes 36 weeks of staph testing is all done. Feeling great!!
I had a staph infection when about Sieloff's age. Lying in the hospital I thought this was it and gave away my car. Luckily I lived to regret that decision. It took me a long time to regain my strength though.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #42
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I had a staph infection when about Sieloff's age. Lying in the hospital I thought this was it and gave away my car. Luckily I lived to regret that decision. It took me a long time to regain my strength though.
I'm glad you pulled through man. What was it like?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #43
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting news about Sieloff at the season ticket holders function today.

All the management staff really liked Sieloff but were concerned that he might not have the size to carry over that physical defensive style to the NHL. In order to help protect him they might try him out at forward and defense.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #44
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep him on defense, he's not exactly a midget. He's 6 feet and 200 pounds, basically the same size a Giordano and Gio doesn't have an issue playing a physical game. Sieloff doesn't have the offense to be any better than a 4th line forward. On defense I can see an upside of a #4 D-man.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #45
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

All the management staff really liked Sieloff but were concerned that he might not have the size to carry over that physical defensive style to the NHL. In order to help protect him they might try him out at forward and defense.
This is the knock I had against him (size), still I think if he adjusts his game a bit, he may work out as a NHL defenceman. He's kind of built like Scott Hannan so if he uses his strength and positioning more than his hitting, he could have a good career.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #46
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He was at Beacon Hill Costco yesterday, with Eric Roy and Keegan Kanzig. He doesn't look size deficient, even being the smallest of the 3.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #47
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome, so all three plus whoever else are all in CGY training this off season. Love it.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #48
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
He was at Beacon Hill Costco yesterday, with Eric Roy and Keegan Kanzig. He doesn't look size deficient, even being the smallest of the 3.
Did Keegan look intimidating?

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #49
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Did Keegan look intimidating?
He's looked every bit of the 6 and a half foot, 240 pound, 7% bodyfat monster. He was freaking huge. Just a massive, massive man.

I wasnt scared, however, as I wasn't carrying a hockey stick or wearing opposing team colors. That being said, why anyone would willingly engage in fisticuffs with him is beyond me.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #50
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

That's interesting considering he's not exactly an offence powerhouse. He has 12 goals in his entire junior career. I really doubt he would have any upside as a forward...

I like him as a D prospect. He may not be tall, but when he was healthy he looked very, very strong.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #51
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

here he is fighting 2 guys at once, what a beaut

AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #52
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
here he is fighting 2 guys at once, what a beaut

That is Kanzig, not Sieloff.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #53
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I'm aware.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #54
Dime_On_Flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can someone in the know update us on Seiloffs progression this season? Whenever I check the game threads it seems like he's been healthy scratched.

This guy really is "No News"
Dime_On_Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #55
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not his year... Not noticeable enough to be always kept in the D with the over-abundance of D.. I'm holding out hope for next year.. Using this year as just a recovery from injury and learn how to play again year.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #56
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Not his year... Not noticeable enough to be always kept in the D with the over-abundance of D.. I'm holding out hope for next year.. Using this year as just a recovery from injury and learn how to play again year.
Too bad, weird how our D prospect depth can be so 'shallow' but overloaded on bodies.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #57
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Maybe with Kulak up, Sieloff will be sent down? It'd give him an opportunity to work on offense, and soak up tons of minutes.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-10-2015 at 11:08 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #58
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Too bad, weird how our D prospect depth can be so 'shallow' but overloaded on bodies.
Our defence is really something we are lacking in prospect development and they needed to sign the AHL vets to that positions so that we aren't icing 5 kids with less then 100 games collectively. Point in case:

Nolan Yonkman - AHL Veteran, AHL Contract
Sena Acolaste - AHL Veteran, limited chance at NHL
Dustin Stevenson - AHL Veteran, AHL Contract
Mark Cundari - AHL Veteran, limited chance at the NHL

Brett Kulak - 1st year AHL Rookie
Ryan Culkin - 1st year AHL Rookie
Patrick Sieloff - 1st year AHL Rookie
John Ramage - 2nd year AHL Player (50 games in the AHL last year)
Tyler Wotherspoon - 2nd year AHL Player

The defence that are Flames prospects are really green. They need to be supplemented by some veterans. Next year, I could see them letting go of a couple of the vets and icing a 5/6 Flames prospect defence lineup nightly because we will have some 2nd and 3rd year guys and they can mentor the kids coming in. This year, we 100% needed to get defense veterans in the lineup so we didn't get killed out there. And so we didn't get the rookies killed out there. You can't throw most 1st year kids out there and expect them to flourish. You do need to ease them into the lineup and let them develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Maybe with Kulak up, Sieloff will be sent down? It'd give him an opportunity to work on offense, and soak up tons of minutes.
I would actually like to see this happen. I believe it would be in the best interest of Sieloff and the Flames. He needs some time in the ECHL to get the bigger minutes and regular minuets and get his development back on track. He's lost some critical development time due to injury and illness and I think the ECHL might be able to help him catch up quicker then the AHL. Turner Elson struggled in the AHL last year, went to the ECHL and then came back this year very strong. John Ramage did a similar thing and it only strengthened his game.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #59
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great write-up Drury. It really is startling to see how green the D would be without the AHL vets signed. Flames mgmt are doing this right. You can't rush those prospects, especially D men.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #60
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all know defencemen take longer to develop than forwards yet we can only protect them for the same 3 years after they turn pro. Goalies take even longer but they get protected for 4 years which in my mind isn't long enough either as they still get rushed.

I'd like to see goalies get protected for 5 years and defencemen for 4 years. The NHLPA may not be on board with this but I think it would be beneficial to the young players.