Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #41
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with trading Glencross is not replacing Glencross himself, its dealing with future potential injuries and replacements there.

Sure you could put Wolf in for Glencross (or call-up Granlund or whoever), but the stretch drive and playoffs are a grind. Do you really want to get in and be relying on Ben Hanowski or someone like that in a big game.

Plus the players aren't robots, trading Glencross hurts morale unless you replace him with a different addition.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #42
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
On pace for 40 points in 73 games.

Career High is 48 points.

I don't know how people can call that bad.

I think he's been effective. Not getting as many goals as he is capable of. But you need guys like him for playoff battles.
He had been effective, but Glencross hasn't been the same since his injury. It also took Raymond and Jones a while to come back to normal from their injuries too, so that isn't necessarily a surprise. What hurts Glencross the most on this forum though is confirmation bias. Some people want to believe he sucks so they can get rid of him and bring in a shiny new toy, therefore he sucks no matter what he does.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #43
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the crazy amount of depth that the Flames have among the forward ranks, it's not like dealing him would create a situation like having Krys Kolanos having to play every game. If we are not going to sign him, which at this point why would you because of the crazy depth, then it's better to get something for him. It has nothing to do with Glencross himself, it's all about managing assets and unfortunately despite a lot of people liking Glencross, it's better to move on.

We'll need his roster spot for Sven next year as he's no longer waiver eligible.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #44
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Overall, he is less helpful than helpful. Get what you can.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #45
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if we don't trade him at the deadline and keep him for the playoff push (which makes perfect sense and I'd be fine with that), I hope Treliving doesn't re-sign him. To me Glencross is asking for a 5mil+ contract over a long term and if he gets that here he will quickly go from one of the best contracts in the league currently, to one of the worst. To me he screams of a guy cashing in who will go on a fast and sharp decline. How many forwards like him who sign a big UFA deal at the age of 32+ actually go on to live up to their end and are worth that type of money in the last couple off-seasons? I could probably count them on 1 hand.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #46
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Asset management dictates that you move him. We have other options waiting in the wings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #47
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
I do not for the life of me understand why so many people want Glencross gone. I haven't heard of any off ice issues. He seems to be very well liked in the dressing room. He loves playing in Alberta. He took a steep hometown discount to play here. He puts up 40 points every year. He hits. He can play up and down the lineup.

If we trade him this year, who picks up his production?
Personally, I think that if we can package Glencross with a decent prospect at a position of strength (likely looking at Sven in this regard) for a player who is an upgrade on Glencross, it would be good. No idea who that would be, but it would help for the stretch drive.

Glencross' production is not looking to be very hard to replace this season. He's been OK, but I'm not sure he's been missed all that much when he's out.

If you can't upgrade your team now by dealing Glencross, either at forward or defence, there's no sense in trading him. I know people are looking to the future, but IMO Glencross on his own won't bring back enough of a "future package" to make it worth dealing him before a drive. You need an effective roster player coming back who is, at the very least, younger and is not a downgrade in size or skillset.

Kind of a tall order, so I doubt he is dealt.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #48
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who has been a longtime Glencross supporter, I have to say it's time to move on. He provides great value when he's on, but his inconsistencies keep him from being a regular impact player. Not only that, he fills a spot that is of organizational strength, and there are several prospects that may have been recalled to at least see what they can offer at the NHL level, as well as probably eventually being an adequate Glencross replacement.

Kenny Agostino immediately comes to mind, but there's also players like Hanowski, Ferland, and pretty soon Klimchuk, that all deserve to at least be in the conversation for the bottom 6. They still needed seasoning, so having Glencross this year is preferable to having one of those options, but we are now at the point that you're likely to get more out of at least one of those guys going forward than you're likely to get from Glencross.

Add to that, there is a market out there for a player like Glencross, especially for those teams looking to add experience and versatility for the playoffs. Glencross can easily net you a 2nd round pick plus a B-level prospect (or even an A-level if you push for it), so it only makes sense to do that type of deal for a rebuilding club.

Factor in his unlikeliness to re-sign this off-season and the Flames would be stupid not to pull the trigger if the deal was to their liking. Of course, Glencross has to be willing to waive his NTC, which he has an absolute right to use if he decides to. If he helps the Flames down the stretch and possibly win in the playoffs, I'm totally fine with that and letting him become an UFA.

All in all, I know what I would like to see for the Flames organization, but however it plays out I'll be satisfied.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Some people want to believe he sucks so they can get rid of him and bring in a shiny new toy, therefore he sucks no matter what he does.
While it's true some here have been overly critical of him for sure there are also a group that recognizes he's been an important player for this team over his last contract and realizes he's on the decline and his role is likely going to be marginalized in the coming years. I'm not pushing him out the door because I can't wait for the next shiny toy. I'm pushing him out the door because I don't think he's worth what he's going to be expecting on this next deal especially given that he's somewhat fragile which may get worse as he ages. The Stajan deal IMO doomed him as you can't have too many veteran players on the decline tied up long term when you are rebuilding.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-17-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #50
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I imagine that teams are going to have a hard time giving up a 1st for Glencross. His NTC is going to make it hard to create a bidding war and that will likely lower the price you can get for him.
I bet you can get a 2nd - mid to late. So then you have to decide if that is worth it.
Tough call.
Also consider they likely don't want to trade him to a Western team because
- A team like The Peg is one your a fighting with to get a spot
- You are likely to face a team like the Ducks in the first round, if you make it in.

Really hard trade to make.

I agree. That said there are lots of games left between now and march 2nd. Tough eastern trip and Minny and Ducks at home. Flames are in it right now but if a losing streak does happen, flames could easily be out of it come March 2nd. If that does happen, then flames should get what ever they can to a team he would waive too.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #51
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not a Glencross hater, but he is a UFA and it doesn't sound like he will sign. The flames need to pursue options, and if the value is there (and he will waive), they need to pull the trigger.
It's about asset management. A team can be a buyer and a seller deadline time, it just depends on the assets. I think we are dreaming if Theodore is the return, but a decent pick or D prospect, and I would do it.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #52
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not a Glencross hater, but if you can get a first rounder for him than take it and run. Glenny should be playing really good hockey right now, being in a contract year.

Before his injury I thought he was back to playing the power forward game. After his injury, it's back to the same old crap from last year. Drop passes that rarely land and taking long point shots instead of driving to the net. Half of his career goals were scored by driving the net and scoring on virtually every 2-on-1 opportunity or deflecting pucks from in close. He's no longer going to the net and looks disinterested in the offensive zone. Some of you really need to take off your homer glasses..
Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #53
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cali, I think Poirier fits the mold for a Glencross replacement. Fast, physical, size and determination are all big parts of his game. Ferland is a good one too. I'm not sure that Hanowski has the offensive punch to cover for Glencross, and I'm not sure that Agostino has the physical side of his game to replace him either.

I could be wrong though, I don't pay a huge amount of attention to Addy to be honest.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #54
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bouma is developing into glencross type player. Plays with grit and determination with a little scoring touch and more consistency. He has for all intensive purposes replaced glencross. I don't see the downside in moving him, and if it's a second rounder, I say we do it. I'm doubtful GlenX will waive but if he does, I just hope that treliving gets the list of teams in writing unlike a certain ex Flames GM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #55
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm, wonder what kind of a return we could get from those teams?

Anaheim - DSP or Etem
Boston - Morrow + mid round pick
Pitts - Pouliot
Winnipeg - Glencross + for Morrisey
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #56
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Addition by subtraction. Nothing against Glenny but I truly feel getting rid of him frees up a roster spot for Sven who, even though his point production lacks, hasn't looked terrible 200-foot wise when called up this year. I think his offense will come with consistent play and we are going to have to start playing him sooner rather than later with how he will be passing through waivers next year. Get a pick or what ever you can for Glencross at this point IMO.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #57
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
While it's true some here have been overly critical of him for sure there are also a group that recognizes he's been an important player for this team over his last contract and realizes he's on the decline and his role is likely going to be marginalized in the coming years. I'm not pushing him out the door because I can't wait for the next shiny toy. I'm pushing him out the door because I don't think he's worth what he's going to be expecting on this next deal especially given that he's somewhat fragile which may get worse as he ages. The Stajan deal IMO doomed him as you can't have too many veteran players on the decline tied up long term when you are rebuilding.
And that is fine. I actually agree with that position.

But there are definitely people here - and not just two or three - that basically want to beat him into the ground over every little mistake while offering zero credit for what he does well. Those are the ones i am criticizing.

Those same people are going to be trashing players like Gaudreau and Monahan at some point in the future too. Just pick a whipping boy and beat of them mercilessly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #58
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post

Anaheim - DSP or Etem
Pitts - Pouliot
We're talking about Glencross here. I don't know anything about Morrow, but he's not getting you anywhere near the rest of those players.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #59
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to look at the big picture. The team isn't gunning for this year, they're building for the future. If you can get a decent return, ideally a young D, you deal him regardless of his value to the Flames. He's not part of the long term. Dealing him may or may not impact this year's chance at the playoffs, but it is a risk you have to take.

On the other hand if all you get offered is scraps then pass.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #60
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post

Anaheim - DSP or Etem
Pitts - Pouliot
I'd say no chance on all of those. Zero.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread