Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...e-notrade.html

Quote:
One thing Burke said he would not do is approach Kaberle to surrender his no-trade clause. The 31-year-old, who is under contract for the bargain price of US$4.25-million through next season, took the ice Thursday as the team leader in assists (35) and points (39).

"Kaberle has been a great Leaf, he's a great guy," Burke said. "He's played well and hard for us, and has been a quality citizen. He earned that fair and square, and I am not going to ask him to waive it."

Burke said he sent a note to Kaberle's agent saying as much on Wednesday, and said the notion of fairness to a veteran player outweighs the quality of any offers the Leafs might field for the defenceman's services. Protecting the integrity of a no-trade clause - even if it was provided by his predecessor, John Ferguson Jr. - is an important sales tool for the Leafs if they want to attract free agents, Burke said.

Kaberle has said he would prefer to remain in Toronto, but if he or his agent were to approach the Leafs with the possibility of waiving the clause, Burke said he would not accept a list of fewer than 10 potential teams. That said, Burke suggested he has not been overwhelmed by the quality of offers put forth by his counterparts around the NHL.

"We're getting wonderful offers," Burke said. "It's like watching National Geographic, when you see a dead zebra and there's vultures everywhere. Only the zebra's not dead yet."
Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #22
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Burke did say that he wouldn't ask a player to waive his NTC/NMC during the "rebuild" he was doing with Toronto. In particular he was referring to Kaberle. One could infer that he said it mainly to take media and fan scrutiny off Kaberle for not waiving his NTC/NMC during a rebuild.
Didn't Kaberle end up waiving to go to Boston? If so then he must have asked him.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Didn't Kaberle end up waiving to go to Boston? If so then he must have asked him.
No, Kaberle's NTC expired during the final year of the contract. It was no longer in effect when he was traded.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #24
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
I do not for the life of me understand why so many people want Glencross gone. I haven't heard of any off ice issues. He seems to be very well liked in the dressing room. He loves playing in Alberta. He took a steep hometown discount to play here. He puts up 40 points every year. He hits. He can play up and down the lineup.

If we trade him this year, who picks up his production?
Cause he's as frustrating as any player I can remember ever playing for the Flames. Plus his deal expires this year, and he's admitted he won't take a discount again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
If we trade him this year, who picks up his production?
Zero points and 7 total shots in 9 games played in 2015. At this point, I could pick up his production.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #26
hamburgler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

to me, it's not wanting Glencross gone, it's wanting an asset for a player who is unlikely to be resigned. If that asset is less than a 2nd round pick, I would say absolutely keep him.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hamburgler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #27
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

On pace for 40 points in 73 games.

Career High is 48 points.

I don't know how people can call that bad.

I think he's been effective. Not getting as many goals as he is capable of. But you need guys like him for playoff battles.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #28
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I've said it many times in the last four months on this board, that Glencross would be a perfect fit in Anaheim, even with Beleskey playing. They need scoring/veteran depth on the left side, especially for a deep playoff push. And Glenny needs a strong playoff performance to earn his last sizable contract.

Flames should be all over Shea Theodore if possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Glencross is also an injury plagued player. He's played 48, 38, 40, and 67 games in the past 4 seasons, whenever he gets hurt, he doesn't get back for awhile and then goes on a scoring streak and then disappears again. He's a great player and maybe his injuries are from playing a hard style, but more consistency when the team needs it would be nice.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #30
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The Flames are in a better spot this year than last year at least. Holding on to Cammalleri set the tone, Flames management won't be pushed around and won't bend when they stand firm. This year that will be even easier to sell to other teams since they will be in contention for a playoff spot. Don't want to give what they want? Fine, keeping him doesn't hurt the team, just helps their playoff chances.

So normally I would say that Theodore is way to pricey of a return for Glencross, but given this position of power go ahead and shoot for the moon.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #31
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Pittsbrugh have a 2016 2nd rounder? They don't have a 2015 1st rounder (doubt Curtis would garner that anyway) and I'm not sure they have a 2015 2nd rounder.

I'd like to trade him to the Bs for a 2nd rounder.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #32
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are 3 LW who are pending UFA who have similar stats.

Zuccarelo
Belesky
Glencross

Belesky is hurt
Rangers apparently looking to re-sign Zuccarelo

That leaves Glencross as the top LW rental. He's going to get more than a 2nd.

Furthermore, if all he is going to get is a mid-late 2nd round pick, i'd prefer to keep him.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #33
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would venture to say the market and trade values for defencemen and forwards are quite different.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #34
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before, at this point I don't think the Flames would miss his him. I also don't want him re-signed. I don't hate him but it's time to move on IMO, and if you can get an asset that might help in the future Treliving should do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #35
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Making this trade could help the team if the return involves help on defence. With Bouma playing better, and guys like Granlund and Baertschi able to be called up, Glencross has been made expendable. However, the deal looks like giving up on playoffs unless it is to improve the team in another way.
A younger guy with upside like Fowler would involve the Flames adding, or a guy like Lovejoy, who is more of a veteran complimentary piece on D would mean Anaheim add a little. Fowler would mean Anaheim shedding his contract to build around Lindholm and Vatanen (both RFAs). Lovejoy is UFA after this season.

Glencross + ??? for Fowler
Glencross for Lovejoy + ???

Those are trades with Anaheim I think make sense for the Flames perspective, balancing the future with maintaining a good team for the playoff push.

I don't see the Ducks moving Theodore, especially if Fowler ends up in play (mentioned in other rumours lately)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #36
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see Glencross taking another discount to stay with Calgary, this is his last pay day and I can't blame him for that.

IF Glencross wasn't currently on the Flames, I'd be curious to know how many of you would be ok with acquiring a player of his caliber for the playoff drive (UFA) for a 2nd round pick (+prospect maybe)

Maybe that is a good way to gauge the importance of Glencross over a pick, at this stage of the rebuild.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #37
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
There are 3 LW who are pending UFA who have similar stats.

Zuccarelo
Belesky
Glencross

Belesky is hurt
Rangers apparently looking to re-sign Zuccarelo

That leaves Glencross as the top LW rental. He's going to get more than a 2nd.

Furthermore, if all he is going to get is a mid-late 2nd round pick, i'd prefer to keep him.
His NTC could make it hard to get full value out of a trade. In the end, he chooses where he goes.

Honestly, at this point I'd take a 4th and a meh defence prospect for him. I hope Glencross' time in Calgary is almost up.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ball's in Glencross's court. It appears he may be looking for more on his next deal than the Flames are willing to pay. I feel the Flames are in the right here for not wanting to overpay or give him the term he feels he deserves as Glencross is a nice piece but is likely going to see his role diminished in the coming seasons.

With the Flames in the thick of a playoff run I imagine the Flames would only considering parting with him if the offers were hard to refuse and even at that it would be up to Glencross to waive. Seems to be overly complicated and I just don't see anything happening here as IMO Glencross plays out the season in Calgary and moves on in the offseason when a team will likely overpay for his services.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #39
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I imagine that teams are going to have a hard time giving up a 1st for Glencross. His NTC is going to make it hard to create a bidding war and that will likely lower the price you can get for him.
I bet you can get a 2nd - mid to late. So then you have to decide if that is worth it.
Tough call.
Also consider they likely don't want to trade him to a Western team because
- A team like The Peg is one your a fighting with to get a spot
- You are likely to face a team like the Ducks in the first round, if you make it in.

Really hard trade to make.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #40
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't see the point in trading him away for what would likely be a late 2nd round pick or less. The Flames are right in the mix for a playoff spot in the West with a chance at home ice in the 1st round. While I don't think the Flames should be buyers this deadline, they shouldn't be sellers either. It would be a shame to see Glencross get traded away and the Flames struggle down the stretch. The team has good chemistry right now and trading away an alternate captain at the deadline might disrupt that. It doesn't send the right message to the team when the competition will be loading up for the playoff push.
Closed Thread