Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #1121
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau rarely gets hit for 2 reasons.

1. He avoids center mass. When he sees a hit coming he puts himself into a position to take the hit grazingly instead of the oppositions crest making contact.

2. Because he is off centre mass he puts his weight to the outside skate and spins off the check turning the oppositions forward momentum into angular momentum. His reaction time is so quick and he is so light that the 8 or 9 inches he shifts turns it from a hit to a play where his opponent is out of position. They rarely try to hit him because of this only taking advantage behind the net or in races to the corner. Hitting him in open ice is like squeezing wet soap, he'll slip right through their fingers.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #1122
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cool article about Johnny's "welcome back tour". Love the comparison to Doug Flutie

Quote:
York first saw Gaudreau play at age 15, at a hockey festival in Syracuse. While other coaches and scouts scoffed at his size, York had a knack for developing undersize players like Brian Gionta, Nathan Gerbe and Cam Atkinson. York realized Gaudreau took advantage of his superior vision to compensate for size deficiencies.

“He was like 135 coming to school,” said York, who was talking about his weight and who thought a more fitting football comparison for Gaudreau was to Doug Flutie, the 5-foot-10 Boston College alumnus who played 12 years in the N.F.L. “You had to be concerned. But once you watched him play, it became not a factor. He knows how to utilize the whole ice surface. His hockey I.Q. is right off the charts. He’s elusive and knows where to go and handles the puck well.”
Quote:
Another affirming moment occurred when the Rangers visited Calgary in December. Gaudreau had dinner with Hayes and Martin St. Louis, a 5-foot-8 player, whom he grew up idolizing.
“Marty was asking him questions, Johnny was asking him questions; it was a pretty cool experience,” Hayes said.
Last month, Gaudreau was also able to get advice from players like Jonathan Toews at the All-Star Game in Columbus, Ohio. The charisma of Johnny Hockey quickly became the buzz of the weekend.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/25/sp...ef=hockey&_r=0
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #1123
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Marty was asking him questions, Johnny was asking him questions; it was a pretty cool experience,” Hayes said.

Johnny: "How did you get such big legs, Marty?"
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #1124
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Hahaha, the ironing
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #1125
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is anyone on this board that is qualified to say much about Gaudreau's weight. Even if you are in fact a professional trainer. Without testing Gaudreau, and really examining his physique, who can honestly say what Johnny should or shouldn't do?

Is 10lbs optimal for him? Maybe those extra 10lbs wear him out just enough by the third period that he starts to get caught by hits. Maybe in reality, he needs to put on 15. Maybe 5. Maybe he is 'perfect' the way he is at the moment. Point is, NOBODY here can make definitive statements saying that Gadreau should or should not put on 'x' amount of weight.

This Eastern road swing is going to be huge for the Flames - lousy record against the east, and if they don't correct that now, they might find themselves completely out of it by the time they return home. Should be quite the exciting road trip. Aside from how the Flames perform, I am really looking forward to all the "Gaudreau Hype" that is going to come from this trip. Sounds like we are in for a treat for articles like the one posted just above.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #1126
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...r-isnt-better/

Interview/video on Gaudreau about his size and skittles.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnnySkittles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #1127
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Seeing his name as "John" in this thread's title always looks off to me now. He'll always be "Johnny".
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 AM   #1128
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Came in to see men get obsessed with weight.

Left satisfied.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #1129
ssjshmo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...r-isnt-better/

Interview/video on Gaudreau about his size and skittles.
LOL Brodie
"At first, I thought he was the new stick boy"
ssjshmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #1130
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anybody else watch the flames breakout on TV and scream at the exact moment the defenceman should be passing the puck to gaudreau flying up the ice? You can see the moment he wants the puck by how he starts to pick up speed. I am usually frustrated cause the lane for the pass is there at that moment and he's ready to take it but the pass usually comes a little too late or not at all. Johnny is so dangerous when he gets the puck at the right moment with speed through the neutral zone. Hope the coaching staff makes an effort to get the defence to start looking to make that pass more often.

You see the same thing with guys like Crosby and Patrick Kane.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #1131
BChockeyJunkie
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Does anybody else watch the flames breakout on TV and scream at the exact moment the defenceman should be passing the puck to gaudreau flying up the ice? You can see the moment he wants the puck by how he starts to pick up speed. I am usually frustrated cause the lane for the pass is there at that moment and he's ready to take it but the pass usually comes a little too late or not at all. Johnny is so dangerous when he gets the puck at the right moment with speed through the neutral zone. Hope the coaching staff makes an effort to get the defence to start looking to make that pass more often.

I agree, I've been noticing it more and more over the last couple weeks, I have the pleasure to be at the NYI game last night and majority of the passes he gets, he is already lowering his speed as he approaches the blue line. By that by either his momentum is gone or a defender is able to close down on him quickly and he is left spinning off a check or just dumping it into the zone. Monahan Hudler Gaudreau is best carrying the puck into the zone and creating plays. If you remember the play with about a minute left in the game, Johnny got the puck around the red line and burnt through 2-3 defenders and almost created a scoring chance by himself. The past couple games you see the strategy of stretch passing right near the blue line, and for many lines I like that, but for Johnny he needs to get the puck on his stick with momentum early up the ice to access the zone and create. At worse he gets into the zone and gets pressured and he decides to dump at that point, but that is still more effective they him forced to dump and a standstill 5 feet outside the blueline. I hope they change it soon....
BChockeyJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BChockeyJunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #1132
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

It seems to me that the Gaudreau line has been playing more with Diaz+Engelland pretty frequently. Would explain the lack of anything good happening on the break...
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #1133
smoothessence
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

smoothessence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smoothessence For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #1134
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #1135
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Now I'm curious...

Quote:
With his teammate Mark Giordano, Gaudreau concocted an idea to pay tribute to the Flames’ nickname during the skills challenge exhibition by lighting his stick on fire.

“I said, ‘All right, are you just going to use a lighter?’ ” Gaudreau said. “He said: ‘Nah, we’ll grab some gasoline from somewhere in the building, and I’ll bring a bucket of gasoline up. You dip it in, and I’ll light the stick on fire.’ I was like, ‘All right, that sounds perfect to me.’ ”
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #1136
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Now I'm curious...
Sounds dangerously awesome!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #1137
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wearing a backwards hat at a catholic school for your jersey retirement. C'mon Johnny!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #1138
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Wearing a backwards hat at a catholic school for your jersey retirement. C'mon Johnny!
I was thinking the same darn thing! I just didn't wanna seem like sour grapes.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #1139
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm confused why that matters in a catholic school more so than a regular school or any other building for that matter. Does thy lord not take favorably to thy baseball cap?
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #1140
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I'm confused why that matters in a catholic school more so than a regular school or any other building for that matter. Does thy lord not take favorably to thy baseball cap?

It matters in Church. A Catholic school is not a church.

Sour grapes is right.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post: