Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #121
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm...Does the Flames still have a chance to pick up Erixon for free or is it too late? Wouldn't be a bad pick up if the Flames sends him down and let him earn his way in. If he whines again, just trade him and get something for nothing. :0
CSharp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #122
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Hmmm...Does the Flames still have a chance to pick up Erixon for free or is it too late? Wouldn't be a bad pick up if the Flames sends him down and let him earn his way in. If he whines again, just trade him and get something for nothing. :0
Thing is, you're not permitted to send him down after being claimed off of waivers.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #123
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also: circumstances have changed for Tom. He's quickly realised he's not going to step right into the top 6 D of whatever NHL organisation he wants. He thought he was a blue-chip prospect (so did we, to be fair) but now it should be clear to him (one would hope) that he needs to earn his place in the NHL.

I don't see the history between the Flames and Erixon being an issue with anyone other than some fans.

You have to think that the Coilers will put in a claim though. Sorry Tom!
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #124
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would be goofy as hell if the Flames claimed him and he panned out as a good defenseman after all. All kinds of "full circle" hocus pocus type weirdness. Would surely be a first in NHL history.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #125
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Erixon has shown anything, it is that he is NOT an NHL defencemen. For all the crapping everyone does on Engelland, Diaz and Smid - they are at least NHL defencemen.

Engelland as well brings great character to the team. I look at the team post '04 run, and I can't help think that character was an issue overall. I am in no way crapping on Iginla - I think he is unfairly criticized here. However, something 'overall' on that team made them suck. It was the overall character of the team (or lack of it - just not enough strong characters on that team maybe?). Now Engelland is NOT going to be this team's leader and show the way for the rest of the team. However, I strongly feel he adds loads of it. Hartley stated something like: "Engelland is a born leader". He brings tonnes of intangibles to the locker room - something that McGrattan did as well and why many thought McGrattan would be worth holding onto just for that intangible. Engelland can play - again, not an allstar, but not nearly as bad as people crap on him for - and provides leadership and a very strong character. Ideally he should be the 7th defencemen who dresses occasionally when playing against the bigger or nastier teams.

Erixon is probably at or at best slightly better on the ice than Engelland - and this is arguable. What there is no question of is his 'character'. It is a poor one. Not only was he dishonest the entire way with the Flames (thank goodness for Backlund letting Feaster know to chat with him!), but you see him look at his team mate - while on the Rangers which was his DREAM TEAM to be on - while said team mate was getting jumped by 4 guys, and skates to the bench. Once again, this was his 'dream team' to be on. If he wasn't willing to bleed for his favorite childhood team, he won't be willing to bleed for anyone.

I don't want him anywhere near this team. Not as a 7th defencemen even. Point of this long post is to emphasize that Calgary should be looking for players with high character and integrity. It is a philosophy they have started pursuing in the draft under Darryl Sutter, it is a philosophy that they continued to pursue under Feaster, it is a philosophy that Burke has stated is mandatory, and I am only going to guess it is a philosophy that Treliving will continue to adhere to. This team has great character on the ice. You don't need to bring in someone with a poor character on the simple chance that he MAY be an improvement on the 6th defencemen.

He has bounced around a few organizations now, and it looks like he will continue to do so until he bounces back to Europe eventually. Flames are the LAST team that should be giving him any sort of a chance. Let's allow the guys already in the system who are working hard that opportunity, not someone who has already proved that they not only don't deserve that opportunity, they have failed to seize it in a few other organizations already.

I just don't see the upside. Erixon had LOTS of potential. He was a very solid pick, and only increased his potential every single year post-draft. The minute he was about to enter the NHL, he has been stumbling. He dropped the ball big time by being incredibly dishonest with them. He stumbled every place he went to. Every organization took a chance on him because they all saw that potential in him. They have all given up on him.

Someone will claim him. Someone will see the potential in him still. I would bet that same team will eventually give up on that potential sometime next year. I just hope it isn't the Flames. I would bet on Wotherspoon's potential more. Or Kulak's. Or Culkin's (even with his injury). Or whomever else. In my opinion, all Erixon has done thus far is proved that it is wrong to take a chance on him and give him the benefit of the doubt.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #126
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember having a grudge against a young defenseman for opting to play in Russia than on our farm.
Not the same I know, but I'm pretty sure I can get over the Erixon grudge too.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #127
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Either way, they held the cards with the organization and used the leverage they had to get what they thought was a better chance to play
No, this wasn't the case. That wasn't what they were after.

Feaster offered him the max ELC. He signed for less on the Rangers.
Feaster offered him guaranteed playing time with an out-clause if he wished to go to Europe. NYR didn't offer him any guarantees at all.

His best chance to play was in Calgary. His best opportunity to make the NHL was Calgary. Feaster even told him and his agent that they were making moves on the blueline and that he would have a spot. Feaster traded Regehr very shortly after that at the draft. Him and his agent were fully aware that Calgary was his best opportunity to start his career, but he still chose his 'childhood favorite team' that was tampering in the negotiations.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #128
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
My issue with Erixon was that he wasn't honest with the organization. No player has an obligation to sign with the team that drafted them. They are within their rights to not sign and re-enter the draft. So if he had gone to the Flames and said "look I'm going to be honest - I'm not signing with you under any circumstances"...that's fine. Cruddy in some ways but at least honest.
But he strung them along, expressed some concerns, and as the Flames addressed those concerns he changed his reasons for not signing.
That's why the guy can F off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I agree with everything you said. I do however wonder how much his dad and agent had to do with the whole situation?
That's where the problem of him only willing to sign with New York came into play. It effectively reduced the Flames' list of potential trading partners to one. And yeah, obvious tampering was obvious. Worked out for Sather though. He managed to parlay Erixon into a piece for Nash before Erixon's NHL stock went the way of Bre-X.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #129
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Thing is, you're not permitted to send him down after being claimed off of waivers.
Yes you can. But you have to pass him through waivers again. And, IIRC, any teams that put in a claim the first time around get first refusal on the second waiver.

It's a moot point though. You don't claim someone like Erixon in the hopes he helps the AHL team. You claim him because you think he can give you more than Wotherspoon (first demotion) and then Potter (second demotion when Gio is healthy) and Engelland (sixth D; first year of a three-year contract) could.

Calgary doesn't seem to be a fit, really.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 02-28-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #130
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

One would have to expect a team or two to put in a claim. What would the Oilers have to lose given Petry is on his way out of town?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #131
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yes you can. But you have to pass him through waivers again. And, IIRC, any teams that put in a claim the first time around get first refusal on the second waiver.

It's a moot point though. You don't claim someone like Erixon in the hopes he helps the AHL team. You claim him because you think he can give you more than Wotherspoon (first demotion) and then Potter (second demotion when Gio is healthy) and Engelland (sixth D; first year of a three-year contract) could.

Calgary doesn't seem to be a fit, really.
I really hope the bolded isn't something that management cares about, though I could see how it could be. It would be one thing if Engelland could shut down 4th lines, but he can't. It's a fire drill out there even when the other team's depth players are out there against him. He's just not good enough IMO. Maybe he was better with Pittsburgh this year, maybe it's nagging injuries or something I don't know, but I'm more nervous when now when he's on the ice than I ever was when we had Anders Eriksson doing his pylon routine when we had him. They should try him at RW if/when he gets pushed out of the top 6, I could see him being okay in a 4th line role.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #132
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Like it or not, it matters.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #133
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's no way Calgary claims this guy, and they shouldn't. He's not going to make any more of an impact than Wotherspoon, and he carries tons of drama. Let the Oilers take a shot at him. The Flames don't need this garbage.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #134
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
There's no way Calgary claims this guy, and they shouldn't. He's not going to make any more of an impact than Wotherspoon, and he carries tons of drama. Let the Oilers take a shot at him. The Flames don't need this garbage.

Depends how management feel Wotherspoon would develop better. Playing top minutes in Adirondack, or a healthy scratch with Calgary.

Whatever they decide, I trust they do what's best for the team.

As far as "drama" goes. That's usually media and fans and not so much teams/management.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #135
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn't Florida just trade for Corbin Knight?
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #136
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Not picking him up would be silly.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #137
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
No, this wasn't the case. That wasn't what they were after.

Feaster offered him the max ELC. He signed for less on the Rangers.
Feaster offered him guaranteed playing time with an out-clause if he wished to go to Europe. NYR didn't offer him any guarantees at all.

His best chance to play was in Calgary. His best opportunity to make the NHL was Calgary. Feaster even told him and his agent that they were making moves on the blueline and that he would have a spot. Feaster traded Regehr very shortly after that at the draft. Him and his agent were fully aware that Calgary was his best opportunity to start his career, but he still chose his 'childhood favorite team' that was tampering in the negotiations.
The big benefactor was Brodie, there might not have been two spots availAble for young defenseman. Brodie mavericked erixon's cougar and now Brodie is a top gun defenseman in the NHL, one of the best of the best.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #138
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The big benefactor was Brodie, there might not have been two spots availAble for young defenseman. Brodie mavericked erixon's cougar and now Brodie is a top gun defenseman in the NHL, one of the best of the best.
You're still dangerous.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #139
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Not picking him up would be silly.
Why? Erixon is 23 and hasn't been able to stick anywhere yet. He's on his 3rd NHL team now in 3 years. If he isn't already, he is pretty close to being a bust.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #140
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If anyone wants a good laugh, go and read the Erixon trade thread. Spent the last 10 minutes reading it and it was 10 minutes well spent. Every 3rd post was about someone hoping he never pans out as an nhl player haha. I honestly don't think we need Erixon on this team. We have Wotherspoon who is close to NHL ready and I would much rather he get a chance on this team than Erixon. Let the Oilers pick him up and help continue the cycle of suck.
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote