Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #701
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
There's no need to rush them. Send them down for a year and have them do what Drouin's doing now. We don't "need" them next year.
We're fortunate in that regard. I think the organization wants at least one of Gaudreau and Sven to make the roster out of camp next year, preferably both. To say nothing of their expectations for Poirier.

It's been discussed before, but the team can't survive with too many kids having their rookie seasons at the same time. The way things are setting up right now, it'd be great to see Bennett coming into a camp that has Monahan in his 3rd NHL season, Sven/Johnny/Poirier hoping to build off good first full seasons (knock on wood). Now Bennett (or whoever) gets the luxury of coming and with almost zero pressure. He doesn't have to save the franchise, he just has to be a part of a bigger machine.

Him and McDavid. We're winning next year's lottery.

PS. How fantastic would it be to win the lottery, and then send McDavid back to junior. Don't rush him. No pressure. Then, championships.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #702
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We're fortunate in that regard. I think the organization wants at least one of Gaudreau and Sven to make the roster out of camp next year, preferably both. To say nothing of their expectations for Poirier.

It's been discussed before, but the team can't survive with too many kids having their rookie seasons at the same time. The way things are setting up right now, it'd be great to see Bennett coming into a camp that has Monahan in his 3rd NHL season, Sven/Johnny/Poirier hoping to build off good first full seasons (knock on wood). Now Bennett (or whoever) gets the luxury of coming and with almost zero pressure. He doesn't have to save the franchise, he just has to be a part of a bigger machine.

PS. How fantastic would it be to win the lottery, and then send McDavid back to junior. Don't rush him. No pressure. Then, championships.
1st through 3rd overall would be amazing next year.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #703
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
If they're even willing to do it, probably something like a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd? I don't remember what the costs to move up have been in the past, but I think they were along those lines.
That's what I was thinking, and they would only accept Calgary's 2nd and 3rd rounders since they are higher than the Avs and Pens' picks.

Burke will do that if he feels the need to, but I am pretty sure he is going to settle on a Sam or Dal Colle, whoever is available at 4.

In this year's draft, quantity > quality. I think the picks that we acquired from the deadline need to be kept to add some sized players. Lots of big boys in this draft, let's capitalize on them.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #704
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Sending guys back to junior because we don't need them yet, is good but the other consideration is, will they be wasting a year because the junior level is no longer demanding. Gaudreau had to make the decision that another year of college would be more about spinning his wheels than progressing.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #705
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Sending guys back to junior because we don't need them yet, is good but the other consideration is, will they be wasting a year because the junior level is no longer demanding. Gaudreau had to make the decision that another year of college would be more about spinning his wheels than progressing.
That's true. I'm sure if we got McDavid we wouldn't send him back, though it does occur to me we'd be drastically reducing the pressure he'll undoubtedly face when he enters the league.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #706
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Gaudreau had to make the decision that another year of college would be more about spinning his wheels than progressing.
Yeah... but Gauderau is almost 21. He's far more mature a prospect then an 18yo coming out of junior. I mean, no way would I send McDavid back if he's as generational as folk say but other then a talent like that I find it difficult to imagine someone not having aspects to their game that simply cannot be improved upon at a developmental level.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #707
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I get what you're saying. The 1st overall is a sure thing, the 2015 pick is not. But IMO, neither GM can take the risk. If Florida does the trade and Calgary's pick ends up being 12th overall, they'll be an even bigger laughing stock than they already are. If Calgary does the trade and the pick is a lottery pick, people will want Burke's head.
I agree. If the Flames were drafting in the 7th or 8th spot then the Flames make that deal (of course the Panthers wouldn't). When drafting at the #4 spot the Flames could easily end up with a better player then the guy they would have drafted in the #1 spot.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #708
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Listened to Connie today on the Fan and it sounded like there was a group of players in this draft the scouts etc were going to start arguing for and against. Thought it sounded like they think there were multiple players available at #4 that were valuable.
bucksmasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #709
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
And on the other side of the spectrum there's the equally dangerous thinking of "Things will be better next year" to the point where you're willing to trade away the 2015 1st. Moot point.

Even if they progress, it would be nowhere near substantial enough to justify giving next year's 1st up. The jump would be trivial, probably to like 6th or 7th from 4th this year. In a draft this deep no way do you take the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
With this awesome logic, why are you stuck on a message board when you could be in the big office calling the shots? Surely you can convince the powers that be to make reckless trades because of near certainties you're convinced of?

The only negativity here is your inability to assess the situation at hand as it relates to our probable drafting spot next season and the depth of players that will be available.
Saved for posterity. Gaskal says Flames are guaranteed the first and GoJetsGo says the 5-10 pick next year will be better than the 2nd this year (except for the part where he backtracks his own point).

Your singleminded negative thinking will make it easy for me to ridicule you next year.

Flames will finish better than this year. Flames will draft no sooner than 5th in 2015.

GoJetsGo, if that is unrealistic positive thinking than I think you are simply burdened by a geographical mental handicap - being from MB, or even worse a MB wanna be, has conditioned you to see the worst in everything.

I realize that Winnipeg lacks the necessary infrastructure for you to congregate with your miserable peers, so why not let the good light of positivity from our fair city wash away those cynical thoughts? Calgary is the engine that drives Canada and the Flames are on the upswing. It's only going to get better from here on out.

The locals who are down on this team are just a bunch anonymous fence sitters who take easy cautious stand. You were all wrong this season just like you will be next.

You can go back to violently agreeing with each other now. Bye.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #710
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Gaskal says Flames are guaranteed the first
Stopped taking you seriously as soon as you took my signature seriously. And doing a quick once-over with the rest of your post, it looks like that was the right thing to do.

More than one CP'er was fair enough to give you a fair assessment without personally insulting you, myself one of them, and this is how you respond? Not gonna waste any more time replying to this garbage post.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #711
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Strange post indeed. Where did Gaskal say they would be drafting first next year?? He said 'their first.'

Don't really get the Mb take on GoJetsgo comment. That was weird.

Almost as weird as your comment about the Flames driving Canada..unless you're still stuck in 2004.

Altogether just a weird post. Why not just admit those two thoughts, amongst others, cast your take on things, along with Snipe's, as extremely unreasonable and risky from both ends? I guess we shouldn't expect a rebuttal from you, since you packed your bags and went further into fantasy land. Have a nice trip!

Edit: I don't have sigs and avatars enabled, so I guess I missed something there. Seems like Gaskal covered that anyway.
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #712
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoreface View Post
Edit: I don't have sigs and avatars enabled, so I guess I missed something there. Seems like Gaskal covered that anyway.
I have a gif of Akuma from Street Fighter channeling a beam as my signature.

Above it in small red lettering is "Flames will win the 2015 Draft Lottery and pick Connor McDavid. If not, I will change this bandwidth-eating sig."
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #713
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I smell a melt down coming
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #714
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm legitimately scared that if we're worse next season Badgers Nose might kill himself.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #715
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I want 1 more year of suck. I want 1 of McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin... after that, lets get better.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #716
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 9 weeks until the draft. This thread is going to get derailed several more times with wild baseless speculation I suspect.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #717
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Only 9 weeks until the draft. This thread is going to get derailed several more times with wild baseless speculation I suspect.

Isn't that what this thread is?
snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #718
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
Isn't that what this thread is?
I think it is more about talking about the players at the top of the draft who the Flames are going to pick. Not this garbage about trading our 2015 1st for a lottery pick in a scenario that would never happen.

Having said that this thread started 3 months before the draft and until the combine there is not much new to discuss. It sucks none of the top 5 are playing deep in the playoffs
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #719
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too soon?
Spoiler!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #720
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote: