Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #1701
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird. A buy that would actually fill a need.

In his prime, at a reasonable price.

I won't believe til I see it.

That said, questions have to be asked of Arsene and the board-- the exodus is perpetual. They were one of the two best clubs in the prem. Just pay the wages.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #1702
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wenger already needs to buy another CB, I don't see him doubling his CB shopping list. Well, I shouldn't...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #1703
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find this funny:

Quote:
Wesley Sneijder has said he would find it hard to reject a move to Manchester United if new manager Louis van Gaal wanted to sign him.

The midfielder, a target for Sir Alex Ferguson during the final years of his reign at Old Trafford, is a key member of Van Gaal's Netherlands squad
http://www.espnfc.com/story/1890694/...hard-to-refuse

I remember Fergie tried to sign him, twice I think? But wasnt the sticking point the fact that his wage demands were absolutely outrageous?

So....what? His wage demands are now reasonable or United are just willing to pay them now because they're desperate? And Galatasaray are in the CL whereas United arent, which isnt a huge deal except for the fact that if United now are willing to pay Sneijder his reportedly ridiculous wages, they'll have to do so without CL money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #1704
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wages wouldn't be a problem with Vidic and Ferdinand coming off the books, plus hopefully a couple others (Young etc). That being said, I wouldn't want Snejider. 2-3 years too late.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #1705
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Wages wouldn't be a problem with Vidic and Ferdinand coming off the books, plus hopefully a couple others (Young etc). That being said, I wouldn't want Snejider. 2-3 years too late.
I agree on the timeline, Sneijder is well past his best before date, but wages can still be an issue. I think he was asking for £300k+ and that was 2 years ago!

A new guy coming in making that much cake can cause unrest in the squad.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #1706
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah 300k+ sounds right. All I remember is that he wanted more than Rooney got and Ferguson basically told him to feck off

but of course, United is now linked wirh every Dutch player on Earth. My guess is they'll buy Strootman in January, as LvG is a huge fan of him and he'd fill a void in midfield. Just a pity that Moyes blocked a move last summer ... Ferguson wanted him an had already laid the groundwork for the deal, only to be vetoed by Moyes.

Read somewhere that Liverpool are close to buying Shaquiri. Good player, just too injury prone ... but good business nevertheless if they can get him for around 10-15m.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #1707
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah 300k+ sounds right. All I remember is that he wanted more than Rooney got and Ferguson basically told him to feck off

but of course, United is now linked wirh every Dutch player on Earth. My guess is they'll buy Strootman in January, as LvG is a huge fan of him and he'd fill a void in midfield. Just a pity that Moyes blocked a move last summer ... Ferguson wanted him an had already laid the groundwork for the deal, only to be vetoed by Moyes.

Read somewhere that Liverpool are close to buying Shaquiri. Good player, just too injury prone ... but good business nevertheless if they can get him for around 10-15m.
I hadnt heard that. I like him, that would be a nice fit to expand the squad, but you're right, he is very injury prone.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #1708
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I hadnt heard that. I like him, that would be a nice fit to expand the squad, but you're right, he is very injury prone.
it's in German newspapers today. They say he'll likely leave Bayern because he's not getting enough opportunities. Juventus and Liverpool interested, with Liverpool favourites after offering €20m (about £16m).
Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #1709
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it's in German newspapers today. They say he'll likely leave Bayern because he's not getting enough opportunities. Juventus and Liverpool interested, with Liverpool favourites after offering €20m (about £16m).
He should leave Bayern, he barely ever starts. I'd be happy with him at Liverpool.

Tags
diving , tears and writhing