Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #2601
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
Meh, it's actually only 15 games worth and with what, 4 cups in that span?

Do you know how long it's been since the flames won a March 4th game?

Me either, but I'm sure there is a date somewhere on the calendar that has not been good in years. Or perhaps an arena...
The Oilers won 4 cups? Really because those cups have been pretty much washed away by the fact that the Oilers have literally been one of the worst franchises in NHL history.

The fact that throughout their horrible history that they had a brief period of possible competence but really lead by a guy like Gretzky who was really the difference maker for that franchise makes it even more painful to Oiler fans who continue to live in those glory days like a long past Bruce Springsteen song is even more sad.

Its time for Oiler fans to admit that their franchise is more shame worthy then respected and that their current window to compete will probably end next year due to their managements continued incompetence under Chia.

I mean frankly I wouldn't trust a guy who constantly overpays on contracts and hasn't seen a bad trade that he hasn't loved to over see the Oilers having to thin out their talent pool due to the upcoming 20 million dollar boost in payroll for probably 3 players between this year and next year.

But you have 4 cups, won when the majority of their fans idea of cable TV was 14 channels and the idea of style in Edmonton was skin tight Oiler Jersey's with the number 99 on it and sweat pants which hilariously enough is still the current fashion in Edmonton.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #2602
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, it's actually only 15 games worth and with what, 4 cups in that span?

Do you know how long it's been since the flames won a March 4th game?

Me either, but I'm sure there is a date somewhere on the calendar that has not been good in years. Or perhaps an arena...
Oh and Verda, just so you know. It aint been 31 years, that is for sure.
Friday, March 4, 2011 Columbus Blue Jackets 3 @ Calgary Flames 4 W
Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #2603
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

Quote:
Clearly it was in jest, due to the fact 31 years was brought up, hence the eyes rolling...

but if things are required to be so serious and specific with no conversations in an open forum, perhaps there should be prerequisites to joining and participating here...
It is one thing for Oilers fans to post in a thread titled "Edmonton is no good," but then utterly laughable to see complaints about the content therein.

Are you serious? If you are looking for an "open conversation" then I would expect you to be smart enough to recognize that you won't find it in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #2604
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
the oilers won 4 cups? Really because those cups have been pretty much washed away by the fact that the oilers have literally been one of the worst franchises in professional sports history.
fyp
Old 01-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #2605
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
You should look it up and start a thread over at an Oilers site with that detail in it.

This thread is about how bad the Oilers have been and continue to be. It is typical of an Oiler fan to have to bring up Stanley Cups that were won 27 years ago or something like that to defend their team's awfulness.
But then how will an Oiler fan tell us how much money he has and brag about it constantly and spend his time in this thread thanking other Oiler fans posts?

I really don't understand why an Oiler fan would choose to read this thread, and even post in it.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #2606
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its like some Hobo bragging about how he used to be worth millions and had three mansions and a jet. But at the end of the day, now, like the Oilers and the fans, they're hobo's

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #2607
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Oh and Verda, just so you know. It aint been 31 years, that is for sure.
Friday, March 4, 2011 Columbus Blue Jackets 3 @ Calgary Flames 4 W
Wow you guys don't get it. He just picked a random date (March 4) as an example. In the grand scheme of the NHL regular season a January 31 game is the exact same as a November 15 game or a February 2 game. It is a pointless piece of trivia that means nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #2608
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Wow you guys don't get it. He just picked a random date (March 4) as an example. In the grand scheme of the NHL regular season a January 31 game is the exact same as a November 15 game or a February 2 game. It is a pointless piece of trivia that means nothing.
Whoosh.

They got it, the response was sarcasm.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #2609
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A January 31 game is ordinary. However, the December 31 game carries a certain cachet.

Seriously, it's always been a bigger game - nationally televised usually, often against a name opponent like Edmonton or Montreal, coaches used to wear tuxes. It was along the lines of a home opener - you can say it's only the same as importance, but IMO the players don't see it that way.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #2610
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its like some Hobo bragging about how he used to be worth millions and had three mansions and a jet. But at the end of the day, now, like the Oilers and the fans, they're hobo's
The Oilers are the "Al Bundy" of the NHL. Constantly talking about the glory days, but now stuck working in the shoe store with no real hope of things getting better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #2611
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
A January 31 game is ordinary. However, the December 31 game carries a certain cachet.

Seriously, it's always been a bigger game - nationally televised usually, often against a name opponent like Edmonton or Montreal, coaches used to wear tuxes. It was along the lines of a home opener - you can say it's only the same as importance, but IMO the players don't see it that way.
Oops Yeah, December 31 game!

I have no idea how the players feel but I doubt they really care. What makes a game on December 31 so special to the players? You are telling me a Coyotes v. Flames game was a huge deal in Calgary? Cars honking horns down your main street, flags being flown? Or after the game people just said it was a good game now let's get drunk for New Years.

I have no idea the last time the Leafs won a New Years game nor do I care. Oilers have been bad for a long time, but you guys pick any little tiny thing and then when their fans try to get in a friendly debate they are just shutdown with E=NG!!!11!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #2612
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have no idea how the players feel but I doubt they really care. What makes a game on December 31 so special to the players? You are telling me a Coyotes v. Flames game was a huge deal in Calgary? Cars honking horns down your main street, flags being flown? Or after the game people just said it was a good game now let's get drunk for New Years.

I have no idea the last time the Leafs won a New Years game nor do I care. Oilers have been bad for a long time, but you guys pick any little tiny thing and then when their fans try to get in a friendly debate they are just shutdown with E=NG!!!11!!!
E=NG is the title of the thread...those coming in expecting anything else have themselves to blame
Old 01-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #2613
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The Oilers have been bad for a long time, but you guys pick any little tiny thing and then when their fans try to get in a friendly debate they are just shutdown with E=NG!!!11!!!
Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #2614
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And you threw out the 'you guys just don't get it' card just a couple posts ago?

Holy crap dude.

Toronto fans = NG
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #2615
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow you guys don't get it.
Nope, you don't get it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #2616
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know who else didn't get it? That restaurant in Kensington when the greasers skipped out on their "not special in any way regular season game" post event meal tab a couple of seasons ago.

Which was part of the continuing magical 31 year losing streak.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #2617
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is a big deal to the fans and to the players.

What happens on December 31st? People celebrate! Your local hockey team that you are a big fan of winning on that day helps to celebrate that evening. Your local team that you are a big fan of loses that game? Well, it may not ruin your night, but it sure as heck isn't as good. I am sure the players like to get off a WINNING game on New Year's and start celebrating, without worrying about how bad they played, wondering if the coach is going to take it out on them next practice...

I guarantee you that winning on New Year's Eve is important to the players. It doesn't mean 'everything' of course. It does, however, mean something extra on those 'special days'.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #2618
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
The Oilers are the "Al Bundy" of the NHL. Constantly talking about the glory days, but now stuck working in the shoe store with no real hope of things getting better.
...and watching McDavid with their hand tucked into their pants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #2619
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Ha ha. The No Goods haven't won a New Years Eve game since 1985. 31 freaking years!!!
and the Flames haven't won in Anaheim since 2004, a record 25 game losing streak and counting...whats your point?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #2620
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
and the Flames haven't won in Anaheim since 2004, a record 25 game losing streak and counting...whats your point?
His point is simple (so no doubt hard for you to understand), the oilers are no good and a complete embarrassment to the NHL.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread