Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Sergei Makarov belongs in the HHOF (article)

Good article from SI on why Sergei Makarov belongs in the HHOF:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/05/17/hoc...sergei-makarov
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Red Menace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Damn right he does.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow I just presumed he was already in the Hall. Should be in for sure.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Add Makarov.

(God, I hope people get this...)

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you are so good they change the rules because of you....

Quote:
He captured the Calder Trophy as a 31-year-old rookie (which resulted in a change in the eligibility rule) with the 1989-90 Calgary Flames, averaging over a point per game, despite playing in a totally different world and in a totally different style than the ones he’d known his entire life.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He was probably the most skilled player to ever play for the Flames, perhaps with Kent Nilsson giving him a run for his money.
That rookie season he had with us was remarkable.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

While I agree that he does, people do need to realize that the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto has always been focused on North America. I've never found much value in getting angry over this fact. At least, not any more than the fact that Cooperstown fails to honour the greats of Japanese baseball.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me in the group that's surprised he's not there already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
While I agree that he does, people do need to realize that the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto has always been focused on North America. I've never found much value in getting angry over this fact. At least, not any more than the fact that Cooperstown fails to honour the greats of Japanese baseball.
They HHOF does have a whole section dedicated to international hockey. And Tretiak, Kharlamov, Larianov, and Fetisov are in the Hall. And Makarov was a better player than Larianov, he just didn't luck into playing on loaded Wings cup teams.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

K.L.M. ! First time I saw those 3 play together . I couldn't figure it out .
They played a different kind of hockey almost telepathic
If Makarov shot more in the NHL he would have had a monster career, but his international career alone fits him in the HHOF easily
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
They HHOF does have a whole section dedicated to international hockey. And Tretiak, Kharlamov, Larianov, and Fetisov are in the Hall. And Makarov was a better player than Larianov, he just didn't luck into playing on loaded Wings cup teams.
Most of the international and female members are there because people bitched about the lack of international and female representation. They are all worthy inclusions on their own merit - and so would Makarov be - but the reality is what it is.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Most of the international and female members are there because people bitched about the lack of international and female representation. They are all worthy inclusions on their own merit - and so would Makarov be - but the reality is what it is.
Not looking for an argument here but the "it is what is" statement gets me. What do you mean?

Do we need a campaign for Makarov lol! Honestly John Scott is in an all star game. Makarov left out of the HHOF. It is what it is? Fortunately there is time to change this.

Guy deserves some praise and a spot among legends. The article praises Makarov too much, but its based off almost no praise at all. Top two in the world in the 80's. Not a chance. I can name ten players better than him. All of them are in the HHOF. I can name ten worse players too, All in the HHOF. Good article, Makarov does deserve his dues! Its the classy thing to do!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #12
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Top two in the world in the 80's. Not a chance. I can name ten players better than him. All of them are in the HHOF. I can name ten worse players too, All in the HHOF. Good article, Makarov does deserve his dues! Its the classy thing to do!
I'm not so sure they are far off with their assessment. Do you really think there were 10 Canadians better than every single Russian in the 80's??
#2 might be a stretch, but top 5 is not.
As good as he was with Flames in 90's, he was actually a shadow of his greatness in the 80's.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Not looking for an argument here but the "it is what is" statement gets me. What do you mean?

Do we need a campaign for Makarov lol! Honestly John Scott is in an all star game. Makarov left out of the HHOF. It is what it is? Fortunately there is time to change this.

Guy deserves some praise and a spot among legends. The article praises Makarov too much, but its based off almost no praise at all. Top two in the world in the 80's. Not a chance. I can name ten players better than him. All of them are in the HHOF. I can name ten worse players too, All in the HHOF. Good article, Makarov does deserve his dues! Its the classy thing to do!
Yup. You do. Remember, the selection committee is made up of 18 guys who live NHL hockey. Their bias reflects the Hall's bias, and it has been the same since the HHOF was founded. So if you want a guy who's primary career was spent in Soviet Russia and international - and who retired well over a decade ago - you're going to have to work to convince them to take a spot away from a more recently retired NHL star.

Makarov is already in the IIHF Hall of Fame, at least.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 AM   #14
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eric Duhatchuk take notice! Lanny Take notice! HTF IS Makarov not on the ballot?
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought he was already in. Dam rights he should be there.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, I agree. He should be in the HHOF.

I recall the Russians saying he was their Gretzky. He was one of the best players ever for the Flames, and certainly deserves the recognition.

Last edited by flamesfever; 05-28-2016 at 01:23 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #17
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makarov was one of my favorites for sure. One memory in particular sticks out for me.

It was a game where there were two young russians on the opposing team. Makarov got a breakaway and the two young russians broke NHL protocol and stood up in excitement as Makarov went in alone. To them he was indeed their Gretzky.

It always struck me that the raw reflex response of the two young russian players was to jump up at excitement when their hero got a breakaway against their own team.

Guaranteed they got a lot of heat for doing it. but it goes to show just how popular he was in his home country.