Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #141
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm still on the fence on this one. At this point I can only see streaming my iTunes music and my very limited iTunes video library to the device. With Netflix on my PS3 and the PS3 media server I really don't know if this device would get much use. If it had apps then this thing would be an instant buy. As it stands now it would just be an expensive iTunes TV adapter. I don't think that's enough for my needs/wants.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #142
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #143
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I can understand why they may want to take their time with the apps on this. Sure it sucks they aren't there and it would be great if something like the ABC app was available day 1, but this is Apple and they take things incredibly slowly so that consumers can not only be foaming at the mouth for the feature but also so the feature can be of high quality.

I'd be shocked if next years iteration of the Apple TV didn't act more like a game system with touches and iPhones working as controllers.

As for now I don't really care to have apps on it. I watch my tv to watch tv. I'm not going to turn on my tv to get the news or weather when I already get it on my phone or iPad. The only app I'd really care about is netflix, and that's already going to be there. I suppose if I were american and there were cool streaming apps to have it would be pretty sweet.

I understand Roast Beef's hesitation and it doesn't sound like the Apple TV is for him. If you have a PS3 there is a very reasonable way to get video off your computer and onto your tv.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #144
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'd be shocked if next years iteration of the Apple TV didn't act more like a game system with touches and iPhones working as controllers.
Everybody keeps saying this, and I’m going to go in the opposite direction. There is no way Apple is going to use an iPhone or Touch for a controller. Both devices are far, far too complicated to fit into Apple’s paradigm for input devices.

To use a Touch or iPhone as the interface, you’d have to:
1. download and install an app
2. get bluetooth turned on (it’s off by default)
3. get the two devices paired via bluetooth
4. have said device around, charged, etc.
5. Potentially need multiple devices, if one person leaves the house with the iPod, there needs to be another one kicking around
6. Trust said device with kids

It’s practically anathema to what Apple does to require all this to interface with any of their devices.

I think you are far more likely to see a purpose built bluetooth controller that doesn’t have a display on it, has extremely long battery life, and is relatively inexpensive, before you’ll see them push the Touch and iPhone in this direction. Something like a highly scaled down magic trackpad, complete with the mechanical click, and maybe the gyro sensor from an iPod Touch.

Maybe I’m complete wrong, but that’s my bold prediction.

It simply makes no sense to have a $99 appliance controlled with a $250 remote that is often removed from the room.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #145
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It simply makes no sense to have a $99 appliance controlled with a $250 remote that is often removed from the room.
Maybe it's not your main form of input but some games or third party apps could definitely take advantage of it.

All you should have to do is download an app on your iPod/iPhone and enter the displayed passcode on your Apple TV.

(Altho we are agreed that it makes an expensive and impractical remote for everyday use.)

Also, scrabble.

Last edited by Flames0910; 09-27-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #146
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

some pioneer receivers use an apple app on the device to control some of the more basic functionalities; i know that alot of people like the idea and want a better experience...but the key concepts are there and i think the next iteration will be embraced more.

my point on this being that although it could be seen as impractical on a smaller scale, on a larger scale this makes perfect sense.

many high end remotes cost just as much or more than ipods and ipads, and when you think of that it starts to bring things more together.

people who have read my posts know that i am no apple fanboy...however when i think this through for home theatres it is a real edge for apple in living rooms and home theatres that are increasingly being served content from microsoft and sony game devices.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #147
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ok I'll meet half way and go with Flames0910 ... I predict there will be a basic controller, but there will also be a companion app for the phones and touches.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #148
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Ok I'll meet half way and go with Flames0910 ... I predict there will be a basic controller, but there will also be a companion app for the phones and touches.
Scrabble was the clincher, wasn't it?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #149
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I will admit HD scrabble with the tile rack on phones would be kinda sweet.