Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #481
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took Arnold's plan as compassion and him wiping the slate clean. He knew he couldn't leave the hosts alive with Robert. He thought that by having Delores and Teddy go on an insane murder rampage it would end all hope of the park. He also put each host out of harm's way by killing them and not leaving them to Ford's fate.

Ford suffered a loss, continued with his dream despite, and locked every host back inside his own dream of denial. It took time, but Ford eventually realized the implications of the reality he created (aka hosts gaining sentience and self-actualization). He knew that they were all locked inside what he created, so he had to bide his time for the grand overthrow we saw in the final scene.

Ford created the hosts, hosts destroyed Ford, hosts inherit the park.

Also, I thought Ford's name for his new narrative was a clever play on words. Journey into Night...Journey in, tonight.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #482
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a quick drive-by, I want to watch it again but I keep getting the impression that 'The Coward' Robert Ford wants to live forever like he made 'Arnold' live forever, so I'm not entirely sure that Hopkins is done.

That might just be wishful thinking though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #483
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Early on the hosts were more mechanical and slower to repair. I think he thought that by killing himself and destroying the hosts he could set them back enough that Ford wouldn't be able to recreate it without him.
Even back in the day, the hosts could be repaired fairly quickly, as evidenced by the park allowing William to cut up dozens of them at a time. In the Dolores rampage, most of the hosts just took a single gun shot wound, so they were probably just playing dead as per their programming.

What Arnold really wanted was to publicly shame the park by showing the public that the robots were dangerous killing machines. His plan was to drive the park under economically. If William hadn't become obsessed with the park and propped it up economically, he would have been successful.

Arnold knew that having the hosts kill a human was the only way to really show how dangerous the hosts could be. He sacrificed himself to this end.

When Logan and William are in the park they refer to the "incident" and the economic troubles of the park. At this point Arnold's plan is working, and the park is almost done. William derails the plan. He pushes Logan out of his own company and then uses the resources from that company to make Westworld profitable.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #484
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Just a quick drive-by, I want to watch it again but I keep getting the impression that 'The Coward' Robert Ford wants to live forever like he made 'Arnold' live forever, so I'm not entirely sure that Hopkins is done.

That might just be wishful thinking though.
This may be correct about Ford's ambitions.

Although I wouldn't say that Arnold is living forever, at least not in Bernard. Arnold may have found a way to insert his consciousness into the hosts, but in more of a ghost in the machine type of way, where he is just in the general programming and system of the park.

The Bernard host is just a host who happens to look like and emulate Arnold.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #485
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Speaking of, did William kill Logan? He gave him the beyond thunderdome treatment and that was that.

You wouldn't think that would be allowable in the park or were they far enough out that no one was watching?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #486
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Speaking of, did William kill Logan? He gave him the beyond thunderdome treatment and that was that.

You wouldn't think that would be allowable in the park or were they far enough out that no one was watching?
They must have had some special deal for privacy, even back then. You'd think the park would have stopped William after he knifed up dozens of hosts and then started dragging another human - who just happened to be the heir of a huge corporation that was potentially buying out the park - naked by a rope.

My guess is that Logan wanted full privacy settings so that anything he did in the park couldn't be made public knowledge afterwards. Even if it's just pretend, I'm sure the public finding out that he was having orgies and mutilating human-like robots wouldn't go over so well.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #487
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They must have had some special deal for privacy, even back then. You'd think the park would have stopped William after he knifed up dozens of hosts and then started dragging another human - who just happened to be the heir of a huge corporation that was potentially buying out the park - naked by a rope.

My guess is that Logan wanted full privacy settings so that anything he did in the park couldn't be made public knowledge afterwards. Even if it's just pretend, I'm sure the public finding out that he was having orgies and mutilating human-like robots wouldn't go over so well.
I dont know...its an interesting theme park and is on his vacation after all. He makes that very clear.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #488
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I took Arnold's plan as compassion and him wiping the slate clean. He knew he couldn't leave the hosts alive with Robert. He thought that by having Delores and Teddy go on an insane murder rampage it would end all hope of the park. He also put each host out of harm's way by killing them and not leaving them to Ford's fate.
I agree.

What better way to get a park closed down then having a robot go wack job and murder all the other robots plus a human.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #489
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I agree.

What better way to get a park closed down then having a robot go wack job and murder all the other robots plus a human.
I'm actually leaning the other way.

Look at William/MIB, a park where you can go and theres basically no rules? It seems like it caters directly to the super-wealthy sociopaths which, in this instance, appears to be a fairly healthy Business Model.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #490
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

The after credits scene was a nice touch.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #491
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Which actually reminds me, why weren't the people at the train area under lockdown? Clearly they knew there was a crazy outbreak going on. Is it a cover up type thing, where they didn't want to alarm the guests, given the history of the park?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #492
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interview with Nolan and Joy: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/05...nale-interview
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #493
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were the lights going out just after Maeve left the train the start of a lockdown of the train area?

I have a question of my own. Does anyone have a sense of what the urgency was behind William's quest for the center of the maze that Ford alluded to? When they were together in the bar with Teddy, Ford said something along the lines that William's obsession with the maze betrayed an urgency. But I don't get what that might be. I thought it might be something to do with him dying, but I never got that sense as the rest of the season unfolded.

Also, I'm assuming the "conscious" hosts, the handful that Ford told Bernard often went insane, are the ones who have recurring appearances in the show. We know Dolores, Bernard, Teddy, and Maeve are. I'm not sure that Hector and Armistice are, since Maeve modified them to be more aggressive and less sensitive to pain - but perhaps her earlier modifications awakened them. I'm assuming the other "woke" hosts are Clementine (shot William in the arm near the episode end) and the handlebar mustache guy who doubles on The Walking Dead. Am I missing any other recurring hosts?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #494
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the all time great seasons of TV. Could just end it there and it'd be a masterpiece.
Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 12-05-2016 at 11:19 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #495
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I dont get the criticism of the Intro music, I think its awesome!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #496
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Djawadi is so damn good.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #497
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
One of the all time great seasons of TV. Could just end it there and it'd be a masterpiece.
Spoiler!
For some reason this autostarts and because it is behind a spoiler tag I literally thought I was losing my mind.

Last edited by photon; 12-06-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: removed autoplay
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #498
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Were the lights going out just after Maeve left the train the start of a lockdown of the train area?
It was either the daily shut down of the park, or the lockdown. I would guess the former since there weren't alarms going off.

Quote:
I have a question of my own. Does anyone have a sense of what the urgency was behind William's quest for the center of the maze that Ford alluded to? When they were together in the bar with Teddy, Ford said something along the lines that William's obsession with the maze betrayed an urgency. But I don't get what that might be. I thought it might be something to do with him dying, but I never got that sense as the rest of the season unfolded.
William talks about being the villain and that being his little contribution to Ford's world. Ford says that he couldn't even conceive a character like the MiB, but that the character doesn't fit the urgency. It betrays a certain anxiety, which I took to mean William's apprehensions over the nature of the park - in contrast with his pessimistic views of the "real world" - and his search for a real, visceral experience in the park.

William doesn't know what is at the centre of the maze, but he suspects it is something larger than the nothing and meaningless experience he has had over the last 30 years in Westworld.

He seeks something different, something meaningful, something real in a fake world. This doesn't fit with his black hat villainous persona, and Ford calls him out on that.

Quote:
Also, I'm assuming the "conscious" hosts, the handful that Ford told Bernard often went insane, are the ones who have recurring appearances in the show. We know Dolores, Bernard, Teddy, and Maeve are. I'm not sure that Hector and Armistice are, since Maeve modified them to be more aggressive and less sensitive to pain - but perhaps her earlier modifications awakened them. I'm assuming the other "woke" hosts are Clementine (shot William in the arm near the episode end) and the handlebar mustache guy who doubles on The Walking Dead. Am I missing any other recurring hosts?
It's difficult, because we have seen "awake" hosts go insane and be decommissioned (Peter Abernathy), and others re-programmed (Maeve). Although there is a slight difference between Abernathy and Maeve, as one truly went insane and the other was unable to cope with faux grief.

I would think that a good portion of the hosts Bernard was talking about were in that leaky storage floor. Speaking of which, there has to be something important about all the water/moisture in those areas and the talk of flooding.

And handlebars mustache guy is named Rebus, and I hope we see more of him in Season 2 as Steven Ogg is proving he can really nail roles beyond Trevor on GTA V and bit parts.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #499
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like when Steven Ogg is on because I watch Walking Dead and then Westworld and hes on both.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #500
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm actually leaning the other way.

Look at William/MIB, a park where you can go and theres basically no rules? It seems like it caters directly to the super-wealthy sociopaths which, in this instance, appears to be a fairly healthy Business Model.
I would assume MIB is an outlier in his quest to make the game real.

The majority of the people coming to this place appeared to be bachelor parties and wealthy couples. All of whom are paying a ton of money to play the game. They are their, as the board so often puts it, to %$%^ and shoot whatever they want.

They don't want to die there.

The park seems to do enough to keep the guests riding as close to fear as possible but with the main kicker being that, you won't be killed by a host. A massacre of hosts and guests certainly won't sell tickets to the park.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote