Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #821
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the advice. What I am really looking for is a cheap Kodi player. I lug my laptop in each time I want to watch an it is a bit of PIA. Any suggestions for something like that?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #822
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah a Roku isn't an android box and you can't really get kodi on it http://www.tomsguide.com/us/can-you-...view-4175.html

I have 2 and love them for streaming media within network or Netflix but that's it.

I bought this one last year and works well. Netflix suddenly stopped working on it a few months ago and I haven't been able to figure it out why, admittedly I haven't tried that hard to fix it. Kodi and Emby work great though.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #823
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm with Shaw and I cut the cable cord today.

I've been paying in the $160 range for HDTV package and internet (50) and called and told them up front that I was cutting the TV portion. I said I was already sure, and didn't want to hear options to keep it, and that if they made it difficult I'd drop internet today too.

Once they got the message I was set on doing what I requested, it was smooth.

I upgraded to 150 internet (had been wanting to do that anyway) and had the option of paying $49.99 for 24 contracted months, or $60 a month for 12 months (no contract) which escalates to $85 after month 12. I went with no contract.

The only reason I had TV was for Flames games. I now have a few months to consider options.

Thinking of trying NHL Centre Ice (legit subscription) through Kodi...

or the online Sportsnet subscription.

Can anyone speak to the HD quality of those two options? I could always go back to some kind of TV package once the season starts, but think I'll try one of those options as long as the quality isn't awful.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #824
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Online quality with Sportsnet Now and Game Centre (if you have a strong Internet connection, which sounds like you will) is pretty damn good.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #825
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I found NHL.tv through the Eracknophobia Kodi extension wworked flawlessly. It requires a subscription to NHL.tv, but it streams far more smoothly and reliably than the garbage browser flash player. Downside so far is that I can't find how to rewind or skip like on the web app.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #826
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks,

The other thing I forgot to ask about (A) Online Sportsnet Subscription or (B) NHL TV through Kodi...

Which (if either) allows for on-demand archived watching?

Cable was good for PVR'ing if I was out for the evening... which is my best bet if I want to watch games later on the same evening?

And the NHL TV option through Kodi, is it still accurate there are no black-outs?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:12 AM   #827
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is blackouts for NHL.tv through Kodi.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #828
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, Shaw called me the other night to ask me why I cancelled last year and what they could do to get me back. A little late their, fellas. Have they been losing a tonne of money or something?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #829
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, their still rolling in their money bin that I have filled.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #830
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
LOL, Shaw called me the other night to ask me why I cancelled last year and what they could do to get me back. A little late their, fellas. Have they been losing a tonne of money or something?
Pretty sure both Shaw and Telus do this... them money grabbing hungry. I used to have Telus reps come come door to door at 8-9 pm being super aggressive. I find them worse of the two.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #831
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Telus guys come to my door every couple months and I tell them to get stuffed. I'm not sure why they haven't blacklisted my house yet.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #832
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you are a heavy user of the internet
- more than a 1TB dl/ul a month
- can get Telus Fibre
- and can run your router (tech savvy enough to do so)

Then Telus by far is the superior choice. Symmetrical 150/150 speed, unlimited data (extra $15/month). Rock solid stability and no slow downs. It's fantastic, Shaw cannot touch that. I used to be with Shaw before Telus came out with Internet 100, haven't looked back since.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #833
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't get an availability map for Telus Fibre to work in Chrome, Edge, or IE.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #834
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I can't get an availability map for Telus Fibre to work in Chrome, Edge, or IE.
call them, or online chat
Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #835
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just typed in my address, and it's not available. It's not available at my last 4 addresses either. It's probably a good service if your community has won the lottery and can get it.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #836
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think some of that unavailability has to do with Calgary's city council and Nenshi reluctance to allow fibre installation without allowing wholesale providers (Teksavvy, Yak etc) access to the network. Telus doesn't want to spend the money to put it into established neighbourhoods and then have to give away that access. In new neighbourhoods Telus is only installing fibre, no more copper lines. Note that Edmonton struck a deal early with Telus and Telus committed $1BB to run fibre to 90% of the households there.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #837
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I think some of that unavailability has to do with Calgary's city council and Nenshi reluctance to allow fibre installation without allowing wholesale providers (Teksavvy, Yak etc) access to the network. Telus doesn't want to spend the money to put it into established neighbourhoods and then have to give away that access. In new neighbourhoods Telus is only installing fibre, no more copper lines. Note that Edmonton struck a deal early with Telus and Telus committed $1BB to run fibre to 90% of the households there.
They are doing a lot of work around my neighborhood. See telus trucks everywhere pulling those large orange conduit with directional drilling trucks. Pretty crazy.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #838
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Note that Edmonton struck a deal early with Telus and Telus committed $1BB to run fibre to 90% of the households there.
What is $1BB? One billion billion? Seems expensive...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #839
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
What is $1BB? One billion billion? Seems expensive...
Lol yeah that would be a lot of money. Meant to write BN
Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #840
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been using an antenna for a few years now, but a recent move to Thorncliffe has me only picking up 2 channels. I'm not sure if my antenna got damaged in the move, if Nose Hill is blocking the signal, or something else all together is causing the problem. Does anyone else get all the OTA signals in this neck of the woods?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote