Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2016, 07:02 AM   #601
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Legally? Get Sportsnet Now for $25 a month.
Unfortunately, Sportsnet World Now is an additional subscription. Another $25 a month for full service, but at $99 for full EPL season (190 games) is not bad in my opinion.

http://watch.sportsnet.ca/world/howtosubscribe.jsp
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #602
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Shaw offered me cable for 6 months at $16 a month.

Definitely going to do that.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #603
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah finding HD Euro 2016 streams isnt easy. Tons of links but they're all ####.

Glad I'll have cable for the Olympics and half of the hockey season.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #604
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try vidtime
Old 06-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #605
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Haven't cut the cord yet. But the fact that we haven't watched TV much of late nor used the Kodi is probably an indicator it's ok to do so :-)
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #606
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was waiting for the Cup finals to finish. Now that it is over, I cut the chord last night. I have Telus internet 50 and upgraded that to the unlimited data bundle. That cost me an extra $15/month, but by cutting cable I'm saving $27/month in the end, for a total bill of $97/month. I still consider that pretty expensive. But at least this way I'm not paying for cable TV that I never watch and I don't have to worry about paying for any data overages, especially now that all of my Xbox One purchases are digital and I've gone over a bunch of times.

Just a note for everyone that when I cancelled the cable and requested the unlimited data pack, they wanted to charge me an extra $30/month instead of the advertised $15/month extra. They said that was because if you are paying for the Optik Tv service you are eligible for the $15 rate. #######s. But I stuck to my guns and got to keep the $15 rate.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #607
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cable companies going after loaded Android TV box vendors. Court rules 5 defendants must temporarily stop selling boxes that can be used for piracy.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...able-1.3633331
Old 06-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #608
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Cable companies going after loaded Android TV box vendors. Court rules 5 defendants must temporarily stop selling boxes that can be used for piracy.

I think that's a good call, for purely selfish reasons.

Hopefully the load on some of the servers will not keep climbing. Trying to watch on a Friday/Saturday had become frustrating, even with a wired connection.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #609
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If I was to participate in watching content which I did not properly pay the licensed distributor for, I would think that doing on on a service where the act of viewing that content is recorded and traceable back to me would be a poor choice.

Then again, I am always a bit paranoid.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #610
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not in Canada.
Apparently.
As long as you stream you are fine. If you download you are in violation of copyright.

Quote:
Canada's Copyright Act prohibits unauthorized downloading of copyrighted content. But viewers using a loaded Android box are only streaming, not downloading material.

"Streaming falls a little bit into that grey area," said internet law expert Michael Geist.

That's because streaming video could be considered a "transient, temporary display," he says.

"It's called the Copyright Act for a reason, and, of course, there are questions as to whether or not a copy or infringing copy is even being made in a streaming context," said the University of Ottawa professor.

Copyright lawyer Ariel Thomas of the firm Fasken Martineau in Ottawa agrees. "Receiving a stream, in itself, isn't something targeted by the Copyright Act," she said.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...ming-1.3455524
Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #611
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Netflix, Shomi, Crave. In terms of good stuff for the money it is in that order? Shaw signed us up for trial on the latter two today. Will have a look but likely stick with Netflix.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #612
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Netflix is king obviously. It works flawlessly on all devices.

Shomi has some cool shows but their mobile/tablet apps are terrible. I only use it since it came free with Rogers mobility. I've had so many stupid freezes/glitches and random crashes that it pisses me off and then I just torrent it haha

No sure about Crave, don't hear too many people using it these days.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #613
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Every time I see the commercials for Shomi, it seems to be the "C List" of content. Maybe one good thing, and then 10 others that I didn't care about. Crave seems to have a lot more that I am interested in:
- All the Star Trek
- Seinfeld
- Big bang Theory
- Southpark
- Stand up comedy
- Everything from Discovery Channel
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #614
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else have problems with CraveTV not staying signed in on AppleTV? Their sign in process is undoubtedly the worst of any streaming service out there...
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #615
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Seems a bit insane that people actually started companies for this. Back in the days of grey market/illegal dishes it seemed like it was all word of mouth, not quite as brazen as to start a company and advertise.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #616
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Netflix is king obviously. It works flawlessly on all devices.

Shomi has some cool shows but their mobile/tablet apps are terrible. I only use it since it came free with Rogers mobility. I've had so many stupid freezes/glitches and random crashes that it pisses me off and then I just torrent it haha

No sure about Crave, don't hear too many people using it these days.
Yeah I think we will check out the free period and then cancel both and stick with Netflix. Also now sure if we will keep the $25 basic cable. The lady gave me $10 off Internet 30 so I figure we would give it a try. We had the middle TV package before.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #617
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Does anyone else have problems with CraveTV not staying signed in on AppleTV? Their sign in process is undoubtedly the worst of any streaming service out there...
Yes, I kept getting errors saying I had too many devices when I only ever signed into one AppleTV. I might have continued subscribing after the trial, but the app sucked so back they lost any chance of that happening.

Crave has some decent content. Shomi is just awful.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #618
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Yes, I kept getting errors saying I had too many devices when I only ever signed into one AppleTV. I might have continued subscribing after the trial, but the app sucked so back they lost any chance of that happening.

Crave has some decent content. Shomi is just awful.
This was my experience to a tee. The app is so frustrating. Never got a response from customer service about any of the issues we experienced.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #619
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not in Canada.
Apparently.
As long as you stream you are fine. If you download you are in violation of copyright.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...ming-1.3455524
Streaming is downloading, by the technical definition of both.

The reason Geist can say that it is a grey area is that there is no precedent for it being either white or black. The copyright holders are currently putting a lot of money into setting that precedent one step at a time. Once it is established they have logs they can subpoena for thousands of people who used these services, who broke the law and owe some sort of compensation to the copyright holders.

By all means, keep using these services. It just keeps people who spend a little more effort to keep their activities private are that much more safe when the copyright holders go after the low hanging fruit.

Don't take my word for it though, I am just paranoid nut job.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #620
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

More dealers added to the court action

Quote:
According to court documents, plaintiffs Bell Canada, Rogers and Quebec's Videotron have added 11 defendants to their legal action launched in Federal Court.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...enge-1.3660656