Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #1021
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Lol at the angry old man bigot posters that only showed up in the thread to complain after Episode 3, wandered off and are back again for this episode now. Was obvious in the gaming thread and so obvious now.
It's also entirely possible he's making an observation lol. Given that they account for roughly 3% of the western demographic (based on people that openly identify), statistically it is impressive that there is such strong representation in a small ensemble of post-apocalyptic survivors.

Careful with your argumentative fallacies. Quite a jump from observation to bigotry. Even if there is suspicious timing, one doesn't necessarily prove the other.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:35 PM   #1022
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Craig Mazin talks a bit about this in their official podcast.

I was neat to see the awe of standing in front of a long lost arcade, "This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen". Even in the real world, they are mostly gone already. Except in Japan.

(Easter Egg in the name from Uncharted)

Spoiler!
Doesn't virtually every cineplex location have one?

And places like the Rec Room do exist too.

Mall arcades are a rarity nowadays though, sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 03:38 PM   #1023
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Doesn't virtually every cineplex location have one?

And places like the Rec Room do exist too.

Mall arcades are a rarity nowadays though, sure.
Oh, I'll have to check out the Rec Room! Neat.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #1024
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol at the angry old man bigot posters that only showed up in the thread to complain after Episode 3, wandered off and are back again for this episode now. Was obvious in the gaming thread and so obvious now.
Huh, I cant say that I noticed anyone really complaining. Maybe I just blocked it out?

I actually think one of the best elements of this episode is that subtle but clear bubbling, youthful romantic tension between the two actresses, it was almost palpable.

To me that was amazingly well done and both actresses absolutely killed it. They did such a good job, but in an interesting and unique way to differentiate that performance from the Bill and Frank story.

I kind of think thats why I would have preferred the ending of that episode to have been a little darker? We know Riley is done and we know Ellie is fine, I guess I thought there could have been a more concrete conclusion to the episode? To give the audience that payoff?

Like I said there was that tension and then it broke and then the zombie shows up it was so well done.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:40 PM   #1025
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It's also entirely possible he's making an observation lol. Given that they account for roughly 3% of the western demographic (based on people that openly identify), statistically it is impressive that there is such strong representation in a small ensemble of post-apocalyptic survivors.

Careful with your argumentative fallacies. Quite a jump from observation to bigotry. Even if there is suspicious timing, one doesn't necessarily prove the other.
I’m not sure it’s “impressive.”

It’s a show. They write the stories. There are shows where 90% of the characters are gay, which isn’t meant to represent the population, it’s what the stories are focused on.

The show has featured what… four gay characters? Out of how many hundreds they cross paths with?

Not every representation needs to be population accurate either, so citing population numbers doesn’t really add anything.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #1026
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, do yourself a favour and check it out! Huge arcade space with a variety of games, including some new games I'd never seen before. Appears the arcade scene has evolved a bit over the years, even though it's been dramatically reduced
Old 02-27-2023, 03:48 PM   #1027
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the odds that the guy at the start of the episode died from drugs bought from Joel?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #1028
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m not sure it’s “impressive.”

It’s a show. They write the stories. There are shows where 90% of the characters are gay, which isn’t meant to represent the population, it’s what the stories are focused on.

The show has featured what… four gay characters? Out of how many hundreds they cross paths with?

Not every representation needs to be population accurate either, so citing population numbers doesn’t really add anything.
"Statistically" speaking. Yes, I agree. It doesn't matter because it's fiction. it's also in the game

Just poking holes in what came across as a pretty big jump in logic by borrowing Locke's perspective on the matter at face value

I have no feeling on that matter whatsoever.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #1029
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh, I didnt think he was accusing me...maybe he was. But I've been in this thread since the beginning and I think both of the homosexual stories told in the show made for fantastic television.

But yeah, that was the comment I was really going for. For a group that is statistically typically really small, they are doing really well!

And here we are, I thought it was just a funny little throw-away comment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #1030
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Shout out to the real arcade of Northland Mall - Wizards Castle? I remember it being there in 96
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 04:09 PM   #1031
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Shout out to the real arcade of Northland Mall - Wizards Castle? I remember it being there in 96
Market Mall?
Old 02-27-2023, 04:15 PM   #1032
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Huh, I cant say that I noticed anyone really complaining. Maybe I just blocked it out?

I actually think one of the best elements of this episode is that subtle but clear bubbling, youthful romantic tension between the two actresses, it was almost palpable.

To me that was amazingly well done and both actresses absolutely killed it. They did such a good job, but in an interesting and unique way to differentiate that performance from the Bill and Frank story.

I kind of think thats why I would have preferred the ending of that episode to have been a little darker? We know Riley is done and we know Ellie is fine, I guess I thought there could have been a more concrete conclusion to the episode? To give the audience that payoff?

Like I said there was that tension and then it broke and then the zombie shows up it was so well done.
Certainly not you sir.

Knowing that Ellie said "it wasn't her first timing" to Joel after the ambush leads me to some dark places after the end of episode 7 considering the small time jump after Ellie gets bitten to episode 1.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #1033
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remembered Northland having a theater in the 90s but was only like 70% sure for some reason, I think because there's been a few mall theaters that closed

It did from '88-'02. 5 screens.

I believe it's where "Battlefield Live" was, which replaced it

I think the games shop (puzzles, board, pool) was always my favourite place there. I don't recall when that closed
Old 02-27-2023, 04:22 PM   #1034
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Market Mall?
Maybe something Illusions or something Den then? It was around the middle of Northland mall. We'd go there and play at lunch during school.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:23 PM   #1035
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I remembered Northland having a theater in the 90s but was only like 70% sure for some reason, I think because there's been a few mall theaters that closed

It did from '88-'02. 5 screens.

I believe it's where "Battlefield Live" was, which replaced it

I think the games shop (puzzles, board, pool) was always my favourite place there. I don't recall when that closed
No, the theatre was a Cineplex Odeon and it was in the middle of the mall beside a Cinnabon. It had a lot of white tile & pink neon. It turned into Gold's Gym when it closed.

Battlefield Live was a Bed Bath Beyond that shuttered.

Dufferin's Game Room was around for quite awhile, I stopped going to that mall after highschool so I don't remember when it disappeared.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:30 PM   #1036
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
No, the theatre was a Cineplex Odeon and it was in the middle of the mall beside a Cinnabon. It had a lot of white tile & pink neon. It turned into Gold's Gym when it closed.

Battlefield Live was a Bed Bath Beyond that shuttered.

Dufferin's Game Room was around for quite awhile, I stopped going to that mall after highschool so I don't remember when it disappeared.
I remember the (checkered?) tile floors and pink neon lights

Oh okay. Thought it was Battlefield Live since it would have to have been in a sizeable space

Yes, Dufferin
Old 02-27-2023, 04:34 PM   #1037
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a very retro arcade for 2003.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:36 PM   #1038
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
That was a very retro arcade for 2003.
Yeah its a bit odd their timeline of nostalgia things is more apt for an apocalypse that happened in the 90s than 2003. Ellie is even using a 1979 walkman and not the POS plasticky things that were commonplace in the late 90s and already on their way for discmans by 1995+
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #1039
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah on second glance, not a lot of 2003 era games there. Pretty vintage selection

We weren't that primitive in 2003

Where's the house of the dead, DDR and buck hunter?

Discmen were the ####. Back when people carried around their disc collections in those little cases. It was like show and tell every day man
Old 02-27-2023, 04:59 PM   #1040
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a lot of fun. If you just want to play some games, there is pinball and racing games. Not a lot of vintage arcade games. If that's your jam Revival Brewcade in Inglewood is an option.

But Rec Room you play a combination of skill-based games and luck games to win tickets and then get a prize.

Great afternoon with the kid. Spend 90 minutes playing games, and they walk out with a pretty good little prize.

Great time. My daughter and I do it a lot.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: