Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Acolatse 1 0.27%
Agostino 7 1.90%
Arnold 35 9.49%
Billins 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Cundari 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 7 1.90%
Gilmour 0 0%
Hanowski 1 0.27%
Harrison 0 0%
Hickey 0 0%
Jankowski 190 51.49%
Jooris 0 0%
Kanzig 7 1.90%
Knight 13 3.52%
Kulak 9 2.44%
McDonald 1 0.27%
Ollas Mattson 0 0%
Rafikov 0 0%
Ramage 0 0%
Roy 0 0%
Sieloff 90 24.39%
Smith 2 0.54%
Thiessen 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 6 1.63%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #21
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Had to vote Sieloff. Jankowski just isn't putting up enough points to pick him yet.
I really hope you see the irony in this post.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
it is definitely something really interesting.... Can a dman who has never shown the ability to put up any points, at any level, ever become a impact D man in the NHL (even a strictly defensive stay at home dman at that)...

If seiloff didn't get hurt, and played back in windsor last season, would he have gotten some points playing in a more predominant role among that d corpse?
I think to be a good NHL player you need to be good offensively, even if you are playing a shut down role. A top 4 d man needs to be able to move the puck up the ice and especially out of the zone. If you are going to be on the ice for 20 minutes every game, you need to be offensively talented.

If Sieloff makes it he will be an Engelland type. And that is if he makes, the injuries being the obvious deterent.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Voted Jankowski and leaving these here.
What do Arnolds numbers look like if plotted on this graph. I am debating between Arnold and Jankowski.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough choice now. Lots of reasons to pick guys like Jankowski, Sieloff, Kulak, Knight etc., but the standout for me was Bill Arnold. Not purely for stats, because we all know that Gaudreau helped him in that category, but because he improved in all of the small areas of the game over his time at BC. Faceoffs, defensive zone, skating, leadership, tenacity. The guy might not be more than a 3C, but he could be a championship calibre 3C if he continues to improve and adapt to the NHL game.

I've liked Arnold a lot more than people did last year too. Ranked 18th out of all of our prospects? Criminal. The guy is a winner. I'll take a guy who's a proven winner over someone that has "upside" any day of the week.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is where we start getting diverse votes. I voted Sieloff, but Jankowski and him were neck and neck for me.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
I really hope you see the irony in this post.
One is a potential top 6 center that should be putting up points, the other is a stay at home defenceman and he's not expected to put up points.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #27
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Sieloff's ceiling isn't a 5/6 guy. He won't be a #1/2 d-man, but his potential is certainly a top 4 player. Not saying he'll get there, but I wouldn't say if all things go perfectly he's at best a bottom pairing defenseman.
Being that his offense is nearly non-existent, I have a hard time believing he could be a 2nd pairing dman in the NHL.

To have that 2nd pairing potential, Sieloff would need to show he does well in rushing the puck up the ice and/or using his skill/speed to create plays. If he had that ability, it'd be reflected in his numbers, even if they were just secondary assists.

I see his potential as a hard-hitting, stay at home, 3rd pairing dman.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #28
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jankowski has progressed as expected IMO. Next year is a huge year for him but right after Sieloff's injury I think Janko is ahead of him. I also think both of them are the forgotten guys in our system.
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One is a potential top 6 center that should be putting up points, the other is a stay at home defenceman and he's not expected to put up points.
Yeah................no.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, Arnold!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #31
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah................no.
What's wrong? You don't think Jankowski is a top 6 center? Or you don't think Sieloff is a shut down defenceman?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #32
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

so because Krieder and Hayes had week sophomore years Jankowski is a pro in 2 years.

Does anyone think that Jankowski will be ready for the NHL playoffs after he goes pro at the end of his Junior season ( this season) like 6-3 230 lb Kreider?

Or are they hoping for the slower development pattern of Hayes so Jankowski can be a UFA and turned into a 2nd round pick #51 overall in the 2017 draft?

Right now ... other than looking at the 2 guys who appeared to be failures as sophomores (Hayes was injured) who had the huge jump in their 3rd year lets look how Jankowski compares with his contemporaries.

Last year of the drafted Sophomores Jankowski was #17 in ppg. Of all sophomores he was #46

In answer to the immediate push back but Mark is a baby, he is a very young Sophomore:

Lets drop him and his .64 ppg into the freshman class. He moves up to #11 of drafted players and #33 overall. Of the 33 freshman with better scoring years than Jankowski there are 6 with 1994 birthdays and 2 with 1995 birthdays..... some are younger than Mark was in his Freshman year and most would be a young as Mark is now.

Jankowski is a long shot to play any NHL games with the Flames.... Him being ranked so high is a result of him being a high draft pick. If he was picked in the 4th round like Bill Arnold who had 36 pts in 42 games as a sophomore he would be properly rated as someone who could might, if the cards break properly play some games in the NHL.

If he has a development spurt he might end up with a NCCA year as good as Agostino, Knight, Arnold or Hanowski.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's wrong? You don't think Jankowski is a top 6 center? Or you don't think Sieloff is a shut down defenceman?
That's not the argument as it's more the irony of this post;

Quote:
Had to vote Sieloff. Jankowski just isn't putting up enough points to pick him yet.
You picked a player that made no progress last season (2 games no stats) over one that did make some progress yet made lack of progress the basis of not picking Jankowski.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Interesting because I would put Jankowski and Sieloff ahead of Gillies, but I was robbed of the opportunity!! ROBBED BINGO!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #35
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A guy complains that one player isn't putting up enough points then votes for a another who played two games last season and had 11 points in his junior career.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #36
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
so because Krieder and Hayes had week sophomore years Jankowski is a pro in 2 years.

Does anyone think that Jankowski will be ready for the NHL playoffs after he goes pro at the end of his Junior season ( this season) like 6-3 230 lb Kreider?

Or are they hoping for the slower development pattern of Hayes so Jankowski can be a UFA and turned into a 2nd round pick #51 overall in the 2017 draft?
Or you have people that are fans of the players skill set and understand that ppg as a Freshman in college is not the only determining factor for a player.

He plays on a very low scoring team, with little PP time, while being required to play a strong defensive game.

That itself will limit his offensive potential.

When you actually watch him play you see the skillset that makes you think he has the potential to be a good player.

Then you look deeper at the stats and see that in terms of contributing to his teams offense he is actually performing admirably and is one of the top scorers on his team.

The comparisons are just to show two similar players that went through similar development paths and that we shouldn't write off Jankowski just because he isn't putting up a ppg in college.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #37
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Either Arnold or Kulak here for me. Great Final NCAA year vs Great Final CHL year. Bah, I vote Arnold but it's basically a coin toss.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

A guy complains that one player isn't putting up enough points then votes for a another who played two games last season and had 11 points in his junior career.
I'll say this again, one is the 2nd line center for his team and the other is a shut down defenceman.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #39
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Only View Post
Don't think any of the guys left are good bets to have more than a cup of coffee at the NHL level so went with Hunter Smith who I think if he can put it all together has the highest upside left.
While I certainly wouldn't say the next five or so will all play, I wouldn't say none of them are more than a cup of coffee

Arnold seems like a good bet, one of the two Dmen (Culkin/Kulak), heck by demeanor I wonder if Ollas Mattson is a good bet.

We will look back on this list in 5 years and see two of the top ten busting out, and a guy ranked 17th playing a huge role.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #40
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to go with Jankowski with this pick. Ferland and Sieloff were considered but missing most of last season hurts them. Arnold should also be selected soon as well.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote