Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Buying a used iphone help

So i just broke my Blackberry by accidentally dropping it in the Okaganan and want to buy an Iphone. I have been wanting to make the switch and this gives me a good reason to.

With the iphone 4 just releasing there's is going to be a lot of people seeling their old ones. I'm just looking for a few pointers on buying a used one because I am pretty new to the whole locked/unlocked/tethered thing.

I am currently on a Telus plan with 2 years left, so what is the best way for me to go about this?
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd avoid the 3G and get the 3GS for the better hardware specs. Make sure it's either unlocked or it's a telus phone. I don't know about unlocking, my understanding is that it's pretty easy to get an unlock code from ebay and unlock it yourself if you're at all technically inclined. So if it's a Virgin/Bell/Rogers/AT&T iphone you'll have to unlock it.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
I'd avoid the 3G and get the 3GS for the better hardware specs. Make sure it's either unlocked or it's a telus phone. I don't know about unlocking, my understanding is that it's pretty easy to get an unlock code from ebay and unlock it yourself if you're at all technically inclined. So if it's a Virgin/Bell/Rogers/AT&T iphone you'll have to unlock it.
You never have to pay to get an iPhone jail broken. There is always free software out there that will do it.

The only thing to keep in mind with jail breaking is that every time you upgrade the iPhone software through iTunes you will have to jail break the phone again. Typically it's pretty easy to do, but sometimes it takes the jail breaking community sometime to break the latest release. So always make sure there is a solution for the latest version before you upgrade.

It's always easier to buy a phone that is already locked to your network, but if you are a little more technically inclined you can go the jail breaking route. I had to jailbreak my iPhone for the past two and a half years and I only messed it up once (didn't read instructions properly). But the software has gotten a lot easier to use and it usually does everything in one click.

You should phone Telus and ask about early upgrades it might worth it to pay a little extra for the new iPhone. Otherwise get the 3GS and as yads said stay away from the 3G as it's pretty dated.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Jailbreak and unlock are two different things BTW.

At this point in time there's no unlock for the 3GS on iOS4 with the most up to date baseband.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/
Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm also looking to buy a gently used 3gs.. and my biggest question is this:

On Craigslist and Kijiji there are quite a few popping up... many that say they are unlocked.

If I buy one for cash and show up (I am with bell for example) to switch my plan / service over is there a chance the phone I just bought (unknowingly) belonged to a suspended, contracted, or stolen account?

I know I can just pop my sim card in it, but the phone has a ESN (Electronic Serial Number)...

Is it a concern the phone could be stolen or previously have belonged to a stolen account?

I can inspect the condition when buying one off someone I don't know, but am worried I will show up to the Bell store only to be told I can't use it for some reason.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote