Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #41
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seen it at a buddy's today, it's like putting smartphone features on a flip phone.

How about some 4k content? Bell,Rodgers and Telus have a little at least and are once again are ahead of Mr. Shaw.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #42
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lies. None of the other providers have any 4K content because no television broadcasters are airing 4K content, eith the exception of a half dozen sporting event trials over the last 6 months. The only thing their 4K devices put out is a bad 30hz 4:2:0 non HDR feed. Your TVs apps will have better quality than that.

I mean, you can watch Netflix and Amazon in 4K, but your aTV should do that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #43
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, we don't even have 1080p and people are already asking about 4k.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I'd take 1080p with HDR over non-native, upscaled 4k without HDR. After seeing Gears of War 4 with and without HDR I'm a believer. Huge difference in color richness and vibrancy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #45
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'd take 1080p with HDR over non-native, upscaled 4k without HDR. After seeing Gears of War 4 with and without HDR I'm a believer. Huge difference in color richness and vibrancy.
Pretty much this. Just finished watching The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime in 4K HDR and I love the richness and color depth HDR/Dolby Vision offers. The flow of color is really cool and surprisingly noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
To be fair, I've noticed since I got BlueSky that some channels are transmitting (certain programs/mostly commercials) in 1080p. It's kind of neat. 60FPS programs are rare but they exist nowadays too.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 01-23-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #46
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Lies. None of the other providers have any 4K content because no television broadcasters are airing 4K content
Really?, Telus optic said they had World Jr's on TSN in 4K, as well as the Raptors,CFL and a few other sporting events, on demand movies such as Jason Bourne and a few others are rolling out in 4k. plus the dedicated stingray channel. all lies?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #47
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, a few sporting events are what I mentioned above.

It's still non-HDR 30hz 4:2:0 which really, is not real 4K. Higher resolution is not what makes the current content generation novel, it's the color ranges and bit depth.

Did not know they were rolling out On Demand 4K which is cool however. Is the Stingray channel supposed to have upscaled music videoa or?

Quote:
Old 01-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #48
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I own the Arris Gateway HDPR with four portals and have now for about six or seven years. My Gateway still does work fantastically but the menu and overall interface is extremely outdated. It doesn't navigate well, you cant create folders or groups on your record list and the search function is slow and cumbersome. So yesterday I looked into this BlueSky TV and was severely disappointed to find out it only has 500 GB of record space which in my opinion is not nearly enough but what I found to be even more discouraging is the BlueSky's eSATA port will not support any external hard drives which is completely ludicrous. I created my own 4TB external hard drive for my Arris Gateway which allows me close to eight hundred HD hours of recordings and with a wife plus two boys who all like to record everything then binge watch it later, it is very much needed.

Now I mentioned this lack of storage space to a representative of the BlueSky team and his solution was to have me rent (you can't buy the hardware but instead can rent the equipment from Shaw for a two year contract) additional primary units plus a corresponding portal and place them on separate TV's giving me 2TB of space but the kicker is it means that those TV's are no longer connected to each other. To me this is absolutely counterproductive as its going backwards to how the old separate PVR's use to be, remember when you didn't know where you might watch a movie or hockey game and you would have to record it on the living room TV, the bonus room TV and the bedroom TV all separately? Having BlueSky literally means going back ten years when it was a pain to have to do that and now Shaw is asking us to do it again?!?!?!

I have read conflicting forum posts saying that three primary BlueSky units can talk to each other but both Shaw tech operators I've spoken to said they were pretty sure the primary units would not be connected, only the portals would but either way, I don't understand how Shaw can be so slow when it comes to introducing new technology, they have a free census within their own customer base to obtain the necessary feedback as to what we would expect in a product like BlueSky. Instead they start with all of these limitation placing the product itself in danger of not even being relevant in today's content streaming world. If BlueSky had the specs necessary in a product like this then i would have been easily sold where as now I'd guess its probably at least a year away before any type of "storage expander" is available for this which is just sad since the wait seems so unnecessary.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI, you can get the gateway to group recordings if you sort by name instead of date. Far from perfect, but it works.

That lack of expandability is ludicrous though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #50
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have BlueSky and I really like the Sports App. On demand stats is a nice feature.

http://imgur.com/a/AKB5i
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #51
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I own the Arris Gateway HDPVR with four portals and have now for about six or seven years. My Gateway still does work fantastically but the menu and overall interface is extremely outdated. It doesn't navigate well, you cant create folders or groups on your record list and the search function is slow and cumbersome. So yesterday I looked into this BlueSky TV and was severely disappointed to find out it only has 500 GB of record space which in my opinion is not nearly enough but what I found to be even more discouraging is the BlueSky's eSATA port will not support any external hard drives which is completely ludicrous. I created my own 4TB external hard drive for my Arris Gateway which allows me close to eight hundred HD hours of recordings and with a wife plus two boys who all like to record everything then binge watch it later, it is very much needed.

Now I mentioned this lack of storage space to a representative of the BlueSky team and his solution was to have me rent (you can't buy the hardware but instead can rent the equipment from Shaw for a two year contract) additional primary units plus a corresponding portal and place them on separate TV's giving me 2TB of space but the kicker is it means that those TV's are no longer connected to each other. To me this is absolutely counterproductive as its going backwards to how the old separate PVR's use to be, remember when you didn't know where you might watch a movie or hockey game and you would have to record it on the living room TV, the bonus room TV and the bedroom TV all separately? Having BlueSky literally means going back ten years when it was a pain to have to do that and now Shaw is asking us to do it again?!?!?!

I have read conflicting forum posts saying that three primary BlueSky units can talk to each other but both Shaw tech operators I've spoken to said they were pretty sure the primary units would not be connected, only the portals would but either way, I don't understand how Shaw can be so slow when it comes to introducing new technology, they have a free census within their own customer base to obtain the necessary feedback as to what we would expect in a product like BlueSky. Instead they start with all of these limitation placing the product itself in danger of not even being relevant in today's content streaming world. If BlueSky had the specs necessary in a product like this then i would have been easily sold where as now I'd guess its probably at least a year away before any type of "storage expander" is available for this which is just sad since the wait seems so unnecessary.
So I was at a buddies house over the weekend who just got BlueSky TV and I have to admit, it was a lot of fun to use. The menu is super responsive, the On Demand section is setup a lot like Netflix with shows being easier to find, the voice search is not gimmicky, it works quite well and makes changing channels, recording series or searching for new shows much easier by limiting it to only a two or three button process. Now it turns out that the BlueSky primary units are in fact connected allowing you to record on one TV and watch it on another. Each BlueSky unit holds 500 GB of space with 6 tuners which means you could actually record eighteen different shows at the same time, lol. Even though switching from the Gateway to BlueSky will reduce our "record space" from 4 TB to 1.5 we've gone ahead and booked the appointment for the week before Easter giving us time to watch or delete the shows we have saved on our expander and then time over the long weekend to play with the BlueSky.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote