Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #41
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

So I finally set mine up and played a bit. Shark encounter was cool. But I'm a bit surprised at the graphics. Really grainy. A bit of a disappointment.

The space mission made me motion sick and I never get motion sickness.

Does anyone else have an issue with the way the unit sits on their head? I have quite a bit of space around my nose area and beside my eyes. Let's in a lot of light.

Also it doesn't seem to sit well on my face and loses focus a bit.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #42
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
So I finally set mine up and played a bit. Shark encounter was cool. But I'm a bit surprised at the graphics. Really grainy. A bit of a disappointment.

Does anyone else have an issue with the way the unit sits on their head? I have quite a bit of space around my nose area and beside my eyes. Let's in a lot of light.

It's hard to tell if you've done something wrong or you're just noticing graphics more than other people (everybody varies in how much they care/notice bad graphics).

I'm not sure you can gauge motion sickness in VR to real-world motion sickness. I can barely sit shotgun without feeling sick, but VR hasn't given me too much trouble. That's something that'll get better as long as you ease yourself into it and don't get crazy.

As for light leak, I find the unit works best in very low light, so I don't notice too much. Did you use the button to slide the headset towards your eyes and get it as close as possible? Did you turn the dial on the back to tighten it around your head? It shouldn't really be shifting.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #43
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

One thing I found with the PS VR (versus the Rift and Vive) is that there is more "play" with how it can sit on your head. I realized that the halo ring on your head holds the weight but can be tiled back, not just in a horizontal plane if that makes sense. I found that I could adjust the angle of the ring as well as the distance of the visor to fine tune the focus better than just the visor alone.

The motion sickness is a personal thing and you might adjust to it over time. Some games are better with it than others. Games that track your motion like job simulator will be better that those that don't (like space games). Driving games are in the middle, you aren't being tracked but your mind is much more used to the scenario of motion. It can still mess with you though.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #44
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Motion sickness causing gimmick or no, I'll be getting PSVR next week. Only challenge is the fact that everybody in Canada is sold out of the camera. Any thoughts on where I can pick one up that doesn't involve paying $70 American on Amazon.com?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:25 AM   #45
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

$50 new on varagesale

https://www.varagesale.com/airdrie-a...2v5-ps4-camera
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #46
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I have tried to watch some of the media. It seriously looks like lower definition than a tv out of the early 80s. Is this the content or is the device just that ####ty?

I almost want to resell it. I used the Samsung VR and it seemed better than this.

Edit: I want to clarify my issues. The edges of the field of view is incredibly blurry. I've tried adjusting the size of the screen. It's really distracting. I played a 1080 movie off of Netflix and NHL17 in cinematic mode and again, the field of view seems tunnelled and blurred in the edges.

Is anyone else having this issue? When I played with my friends Samsung, the graphics were pretty mediocre but I felt much more immersed in the experience. Which seems silly I guess.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 01-01-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #47
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I have tried to watch some of the media. It seriously looks like lower definition than a tv out of the early 80s. Is this the content or is the device just that ####ty?

I almost want to resell it. I used the Samsung VR and it seemed better than this.

Edit: I want to clarify my issues. The edges of the field of view is incredibly blurry. I've tried adjusting the size of the screen. It's really distracting. I played a 1080 movie off of Netflix and NHL17 in cinematic mode and again, the field of view seems tunnelled and blurred in the edges.

Is anyone else having this issue? When I played with my friends Samsung, the graphics were pretty mediocre but I felt much more immersed in the experience. Which seems silly I guess.
It's definitely not for people who want to watch video or play non-vr PS4 games. Sony basically came out and said it would suck before launch (they phrased it better, but that was the gist). It's an available feature, but not one that Sony actively pushes as a reason to buy. I could be wrong, but because you're splitting video in half and feeding it to each eye, whatever signal you're feeding it, you're going to get ½ the resolution. The PSVR is technically one screen, but each eye is only capable of getting 960x1080 (it's a 1920x1080 split vertically).

If watching media was a big reason for the purchase, I'd definitely sell it. I tried playing NHL in it and it was pretty awful. Because you need to see the entire ice surface and the score clock, there's too much to look at. I actually learned this weekend that competitive Call of Duty players will often times avoid playing on a big screen of any kind for this same reason. There's a guy I follow on Twitter that uses a 30" monitor instead of his 72" TV.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #48
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Motion sickness causing gimmick or no, I'll be getting PSVR next week. Only challenge is the fact that everybody in Canada is sold out of the camera. Any thoughts on where I can pick one up that doesn't involve paying $70 American on Amazon.com?
The Buy n sell store on Macleod (right past southland, next to the fit4less) had one in the box for 40$
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #49
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Tks, I got one though. Now just waiting on the headset to arrive.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

What's the consensus on this thing so far? Sounds like the lower resolution screen is much worse than the HTC Vive... And what's up with the launch bundle prices?

~$1000 CAD on Ebay? Are people just wanting the bundle for collectability? You can buy the individual components separately much cheaper. I just saw one at Sage Hill Wal-Mart so they are still out there or maybe they are back in distribution again.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-15-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #51
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

There was a shortage in supply over the holidays. THere were lots of people complaining about not being able to get one or the camera. This of course increased the price on places like ebay and kijiji. They are starting to come back into the market now though.

As for the resolution, I have not tried a Vive but I have not had issues with it. I have played a fair amount of games and have not found one where I was like "oh this is a bad resolution"
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #52
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ya I certainly wouldn't say it's much worse. It's kinda odd... the screen door effect is worse on the Vive, so while the screen is better, satisfaction with the screens is closer than you'd expect. The much bigger difference is in the controller tracking. That's where the Vive shines.

It's a tough comparison to make as the price is quite different. Whenever I've tried a Vive it's been awesome, but looking at the price tags I can't say it's worth the price difference for me. If I had the money and was a PC gamer I think the decision would obviously curve towards the Vive for sure.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #53
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I would compare the display on PSVR to that of a high-end 3DS. It's not outstanding, but it's still pretty good for most things. We're also early adopters of a first gen release. Can't expect perfection.

The biggest challenge is finding games I like. Multiplayer is not something I'm terribly interested in, which means I'm largely toying with tech demos and mini games. Having fun with Gunjack right now.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #54
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I've given up. Must be something with my eyes. Absolutely brutal resolution in my opinion. Will be selling my setup.

As a for instance: I tried to play London Heist. When the text messages come through on the phone it is nearly unreadable no matter how I adjust the headset.

I've played with the eye distance setting too. It's so blurry I feel like I need glasses even though I have perfect laser corrected vision.

I was excited for VR by playing my cousins Samsung VR. It was far crisper and a much better experience for something that came off of a phone.

I'm baffled.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 01-20-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #55
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I cannot wait to start RE7 this weekend in VR!
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #56
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
I've given up. Must be something with my eyes. Absolutely brutal resolution in my opinion. Will be selling my setup.

As a for instance: I tried to play London Heist. When the text messages come through on the phone it is nearly unreadable no matter how I adjust the headset.

I've played with the eye distance setting too. It's so blurry I feel like I need glasses even though I have perfect laser corrected vision.

I was excited for VR by playing my cousins Samsung VR. It was far crisper and a much better experience for something that came off of a phone.

I'm baffled.
Sorry if you've said this before but has anyone else tried your system? Do they have any issues with it? Just troubleshooting to see if it's your eyes or the system that's the issue.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #57
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
I cannot wait to start RE7 this weekend in VR!
I wish I could fully explain the fear I felt playing the demo. Once the immersion kicked in I found it to be wayyyy too much. I had a buddy next to me while I was playing and essentially enacted a rule that we had to chat the entire time or I was going to piss myself.

I want to play it because it legitimately sounds like a great game, but my god no.

Quote:

I'm baffled.
I wonder if you might have a defective unit? Are you resolution sensitive in general? Does 720p make you recoil in horror? I've shown mine off to probably 10 people now and I've never had one person comment on the resolution. Do you know anybody who has one that you can try to see if it's unique to your headset?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #58
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I've never been overly sensitive to resolution. I can barely tell the difference between 720 and 1080 and UltraHD or whatever the heck it is now.

A couple of my friends tried it and they have no issues, but they have never used VR before. I feel like if there was a focus dial like on the Samsung, it would fix my problems. The Samsung was crystal clear and far more immersive, which sounds dumb. The graphics were obviously much worse but clear.

With London Heist it felt like I was trying to play it with a concussion. I'm baffled.

The field of view is noticeably less too. Feels like I'm looking through a small dive mask....

Maybe I'm too picky....
Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #59
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The "small dive mask" effect is an anti-nausea effect, I believe.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #60
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I've never been overly sensitive to resolution. I can barely tell the difference between 720 and 1080 and UltraHD or whatever the heck it is now.

A couple of my friends tried it and they have no issues, but they have never used VR before. I feel like if there was a focus dial like on the Samsung, it would fix my problems. The Samsung was crystal clear and far more immersive, which sounds dumb. The graphics were obviously much worse but clear.

With London Heist it felt like I was trying to play it with a concussion. I'm baffled.

The field of view is noticeably less too. Feels like I'm looking through a small dive mask....

Maybe I'm too picky....
It sounds like you aren't moving the headset up to your face? With the button on the bottom?

I've owned Oculus, Vive, and now PSVR. They all have the dive mask feel and of the three, the PSVR actually has the least "screen door effect" because you can move the screen back and forth. Have you adjusted the screen position away from or closer to your eyes? This is the best mounting system I've had out of all the above.

My main problem is the pixel pitch/resolution issues but its comparable to the Vive, if only slightly lower. The main thing is the black levels of the screen are terrible. In dark scenes in games, you still get constantly lit pixels just colored dark. It's like the first gen LCD TVs where everything was a shimmering gray instead of actual black which they now do by selectively turning off certain pixels in dark areas of the TV screen.

For issues with focus, try closing one eye at at time while moving the headset around and back and forth until it's sharp in one eye. Then open the other eye and try the same. If it's not working, have you tried adjusting the eye distance setting?

PSVR's focus is a combination of the button on the bottom of the screen which moves the unit back and forth and measuring your eye distance with the PS camera (it's an app in the settings).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote