Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2016 Calgary Stampeders

Stampeders training camp started this week with mostly rookies. The main training camp starts tomorrow My 29th at McMahon Stadium. Lot of changes in the team starting with the head coaching Dave Dickenson and John Hufnagel concentrating on his GM position. Other changes from personnel are Claybrooks as Defensive Coordinator, Corey Mace as Defensive Line coach. Veteran players such as MLB Juwan Simpsons was let go due to high contract and his age. On of my favorite Stampeder Keon Raymond signed as a free agent to Toronto Argonauts, Receivers Eric Rogers(San Francisco), Jeff Fuller(also to NFL but was let go before the NFL Draft). RB Jon Cornish retired due to concussion problem, DL Freddie Bishop III to NFL, OL Edwin Harrison(retirement). Lots of competition in this training camp and it is going to be interesting.

Here's the roster for training camp: * denotes to National

Quarterback:
#4 Drew Tate, #15 Andrew Buckley*, #19 Bo Levi Mitchell, #20 G.J. Kinne

Offensive Line:
#50 Spencer Wilson*, #53 Brad Erdos*, #57 Karl Lavoie*, #59 Randy Richards, #60 Shane Bergman*, #61 Ucambre Williams, #62 Quinn Horton*, #63 Pierre Lavertu*, #64 Derek Dennis, #65 Dan Federkeil*, #67 Alex Fifita, #68 Roman Grozman*, #58 Cam Thorn*

Running Back:
#14 Roy Finch, #23 William Langlais*, #25 Lache Seastruck, #26 Rob Cote*, #33 Jerome Messam*, #34 Tory Harrison, #46 Charlie Power*

Receivers:
#1 Lamar Durant*, #16 Marquay McDaniel, #78 Jamal Nixon, #80 Matthew Norzil*, #81 Bakari Grant, #83 Juwan Brescacin*, #84 Greg Wilson, #85 Joe West, #86 Anthony Parker*, #87 Simon Charbonneau-Campeau*, #89 DaVaris Daniels

Defensive Line:
#7 Junior Turner*, #39 Charleston Hughes, #44 Ben D'Aguilar*, #69 Ja’Gared Davis, #73 Josh Francis, #90 Quinn Smith*, #91 Demonte Bolden, #93 Micah Johnson, #94 Frank Beltre, #95 Uriah Grant, #97 Derek Wiggan*, #98 Brandon Boudreaux, #99 Michael Kashak*

Linebackers:
#3 Taylor Reed, #36 Glenn Love, #37 Maleki Harris, #42 Deron Mayo, #43 Max Caron*, #47 Corbin Sharun*, #49 Alex Singleton*

Defensive Backs:
#0 Ciante Evans, #2 Adam Thibault, #8 Fred Bennett, #11 Joshua Bell, #21 Adam Berger*, #24 Joe Burnett, #27 Jeff Hecht*, #28 Brandon Smith, #29 Jamar Wall, #31 Brandon McDonald, #32 Osagie Odiase, #40 Dexter Janke*, #45 Jean-Phillippe Bolduc*, #51 Tommie Campbell, #52 Malcolm Brown, #17 Demetrius Wright

Special Team:
#6 Rob Maver*(P), #30 Rene Paredes*(K), #71 Pierre-Luc Caron*(LS)

I will keep this updated and whenever someone gets cut, I will have their name listed below.

Released:
May 30 - R Josh Harper
June 7 - R #82 Carlton Mitchell
June 7 - DL #91 Marcus Thompson
June 7 - OL #66 Byron Pinkston
June 7 - R/Ret #17 Skye Dawson - put on retirement list
June 13 - QB #20 Bryant Moniz
June 13 - RB #12 Reggie Whatley
June 13 - R #79 Chleb Ravenell
June 13 - DL #77 Quayshawne Buckley
June 13 - DL #96 Brandon Thurmond
June 13 - LB #56 Jared Brackens
June 13 - DB #41 Travis Manning
June 14 - LS #35 Tim St. Pierre*
June 14 - DL #92 Ridge Wilson
June 14 - LB #38 James Green*
June 14 - R #82 Cameron White

Last edited by OzSome; 06-14-2016 at 09:25 PM.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's been awhile since we've seen this much turnover in an off season. It'll be really interesting to see how the team looks. In my perfect world Jeff Fuller comes back, then Eric Rogers gets cut and also eventually comes back.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I already miss Jon Cornish
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's been awhile since we've seen this much turnover in an off season. It'll be really interesting to see how the team looks. In my perfect world Jeff Fuller comes back, then Eric Rogers gets cut and also eventually comes back.
I think they gave up on Jeff Fuller. The NFL team he signed for already released him.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Like you mean the Stamps gave up on him, too, even after the release? I'm no GM but I'd gladly take him back this year with the team we've got so far.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Going to be a lot of new faces on that defense.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Like you mean the Stamps gave up on him, too, even after the release? I'm no GM but I'd gladly take him back this year with the team we've got so far.
Yeah Huf said a couple months back he was pretty much ready to move on from Fuller because the guy just cant stay healthy and the import aspect of him will be hard to keep him around.

Quote:
“Jeff has great size — the only thing is he hasn’t been on the field as much as you’d like him to be,” Hufnagel said. “That’s part of the reason why our interest isn’t what it would have been two years ago when he first came on board.”

“I’m not sure what has come from those workouts,” Hufnagel said. “Jeff’s in a situation where with us changing the ratio and a receiver being a Canadian spot in this coming year — forecasted to be a Canadian spot — we can’t bring all the American receivers in that we have in the past. We want to bring some young guys up to compete, so I’m not sure where Jeff’s going to land.”

“We tried to move Jeff around, but his best position has been at the outside receiver position, and one of those is going to be a Canadian spot now,” Hufnagel reiterated. “We feel that we have enough talent, and with our off-season acquisitions, we’ll make sure that we have more than enough to make sure that we have a dangerous outside receiver.”

I heard/read that the Stamps will have 16 different receivers in camp this season...not the least of which are Joe West and Greg Wilson who both look like they can be big time WR in this league.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:25 AM   #8
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah Huf said a couple months back he was pretty much ready to move on from Fuller because the guy just cant stay healthy and the import aspect of him will be hard to keep him around.

I heard/read that the Stamps will have 16 different receivers in camp this season...not the least of which are Joe West and Greg Wilson who both look like they can be big time WR in this league.
Not saying this sarcastically because I'm actually having trouble recalling, did Greg Wilson ever really show signs during games of having star potential? I remember he lit up camp last year but for some reason I remember him having a few questionable drops during game action. Did he show flashes as well?
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #9
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Not saying this sarcastically because I'm actually having trouble recalling, did Greg Wilson ever really show signs during games of having star potential? I remember he lit up camp last year but for some reason I remember him having a few questionable drops during game action. Did he show flashes as well?
Yeah he had problems getting into games last year for sure. Though he did look very good a couple times he was able to be part of things.

His problem, again, was to do with his passport and how many guys were ahead of him at the SB position.

All of him, Bakari Grant and Skye Dawson are guys to watch closely this camp.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really interested to see what they have at RB with Seastrunk. Think he could be a steal.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any predictions about the battle for the 3rd string QB job? Usually pretty irrelevant but I'm interested to see if Canadian Buckley can beat out Moniz. Personally, I don't think Moniz has shown enough promise to be kept around, and is getting a little older.
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moniz became the short yardage guy last year after Tate struggled with it. Don't think he'll let go of that easily. He's gunning for the backup job. Especially with Tate, 31, wanting to move into coaching ranks soon.

In the end I think they'll stick with Tate #2, Moniz #3 and Buckley on the practise rosters.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I'm really interested to see what they have at RB with Seastrunk. Think he could be a steal.
Seastrunk is a returner too so if he will make the team, it is going to be a returner and a backup RB. I don't think the Stamps were very happy with Skye Dawson's return last season so there are going to be a lot of competitions on return job.

I would think the QB position will be the same as last season with BLM, Tate, Moniz but they will keep Buckley on PR. RB should probably be Messam, Harrison, Cote, Power so there should be competitions after these guys.
Receivers I think are going to be Daniels, Wilson, Grant, Parker, Durant, SCC, West. I think Brescacin will make the team as special teamer for now and kind of intrigued with Norzil. On O-Line, it is going to be a battle between Derek Dennis and maybe Randy Richards as import and Dennis will beat him out but they will keep Richards on ST. Canadian OLine are going to be Lavertu and Lavoie as a center, Bergman, Wilson, Federkeil, Erdos and I think Grozman might make it as a backup

On defense, DLine will pretty much stay the same and I think Brandon Thurmond will make it to replace Bishop on the lineup.On LB Pierre-Luc Caron will make it as a backup for LB and long snapper. Singleton will probably be the SAM LB or backing up Taylor Reed as MLB. Rounding out will be Mayo while Ontko, Harris as a backup plus Corbin on ST. DB position is going to be a battle. I wonder if they will finally put a Canadian on safety and move Josh Bell on a different position like Keon Raymond's position last few season.

I am kind of hoping a few rookies will challenge some of the veterans and make those vets earn their money to make the team.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:31 PM   #14
Major Happy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any news on Varga from the Colts? The Stamps drafted him in the 3rd round last year, 19th overall.

I know he was placed on season ending IR on October 14th.

Started 3 games with them last year, but didn't get much of an opportunity.

I hope he has a great NFL career, I will always cheer for Canadians to do well in the NFL, but he would be a nice addition for the Stampeders
Major Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #15
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Moniz became the short yardage guy last year after Tate struggled with it. Don't think he'll let go of that easily. He's gunning for the backup job. Especially with Tate, 31, wanting to move into coaching ranks soon.

In the end I think they'll stick with Tate #2, Moniz #3 and Buckley on the practise rosters.
I hadn't thought of Moniz competing for the backup as a realistic possibility, figured Tate was cemented in there. Will be interesting to see if that pans out, I doubt that Tate would be very motivated out there these days so it's entirely possible that Moniz displaces him. My prediction is that Buckley beats Moniz out for the 3rd string job.
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Calgary Stampeders site:

The Calgary Stampeders have signed international defensive lineman Ja’Gared Davis.

Ja’Gared Davis
Defensive lineman
College: Southern Methodist
Height: 6.01
Weight: 238
Born: Sept. 11, 1990

Davis signed as an undrafted free agent with the National Football League’s Houston Texans on Apr. 27, 2013. He has spent time on the practice roster for the New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins. He played four seasons (2009-12) at SMU and was named first-team all-Conference USA at linebacker on two occasions and second-team all-conference once. During his career with the Mustangs, he had 301 total tackles, including 41 tackles for loss, 20.5 sacks, four interceptions, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

International receiver Josh Harper has been released.

Last edited by OzSome; 05-30-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 AM   #17
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Happy View Post
Any news on Varga from the Colts? The Stamps drafted him in the 3rd round last year, 19th overall.

I know he was placed on season ending IR on October 14th.

Started 3 games with them last year, but didn't get much of an opportunity.

I hope he has a great NFL career, I will always cheer for Canadians to do well in the NFL, but he would be a nice addition for the Stampeders
He played well for the Colts in three games (started none) until he suffered a concussion that kept him out for 4 months http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...nths/84145580/. The Colts don't have much running back depth behind Frank Gore, nor did they draft one this year meaning it is likely Varga returns to the team next season. Hopefully his head is okay and he doesn't turn into Austin Collie 2.0. As a Stamps and Colts fan I would say it is extremely unlikely he returns to Canada next season as he is likely to make the team, and even if he doesn't, he's practice squad eligible.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #18
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stampeders will play the Edmonton Eskimos tonight at 7pm at McMahon Stadium (Saturday, June 11th). Looks like DT Demonte Bolden who played for Stampeders before he got cut and released last year is back and will play tonight.

Players to watch for are the cousins MLB Taylor Reed and DL Ja'Gared Davis both played for SMU.

With injuries to C Pierre Lavertu, OL/C Karl Lavoie and OL Shane Bergman, Stamps been practicing rookie Grozman as a centre and that's where he starts tonight.

Other players to watch: QB3 battle between Moniz and Buckley. Bo Levi Mitchell will play but he will leave early in the game. Drew Tate will get enough plays after then it'll be between Moniz and Buckley after that.

CB position battle between Brandon McDonald and Tommie Campbell.

Last edited by OzSome; 06-11-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #19
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the linebackers are the key position to watch tonight. The heart got taken out of the defence, will be interesting to see who steps up

Great night for football
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #20
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps lost to Eskimos tonight 23-13 but it is a pre-season game so not a big deal. Did not see the game but I listened to NewsTalk 770 Play-by-play for parts of the first half and the whole 2nd half.

Players that stands out on both positive and negative:

QB: Bryant Moniz did not have a good game. He threw a couple of INT that cost them points. He was replaced by Buckley in the 3rd quarter. Buckley was just okay but he definitely had a better game than Moniz. Bo Levi started the game and went 5 for 6 before giving way to Drew Tate. Tate had a decent game..

OLine: Grozman played most of the game as a centre. I heard he had a good game. Alex Fifita left the game due t injury,

RB: Seastruck and Fitch played most of the game and they both looked good from what I heard. Messam did not play and Tory Harrison played a few sequence early in the game.

REC: Nobody really stands out from this group. Greg Wilson caught a nice ball but he also made a mistake a few plays after. 2nd round pick JUwan Brescacin made a huge catch in the 2nd half. McDaniel, Parker and Grant did not play.

DL: Nobody really stands out but the whole defense looks like they played well. Hughes did not play.

LB: 1st round pick Alex Singleton sounds like he had a decent game. Max Caron played a lot and looks good. The poor guy hasn't played much in his 2 seasons with Stamps due to major injuries.

DB: The player that really stand out is Tommie Campbell. Stephens and Peterson seems to be talking a lot of this guy. He made some good play in the 2nd half. Ciante Evans recovered a fumble for a TD. Brandon Smith, McDonald, Wall, Bell did not play.

Special Team: Not much to talk about. Whatley and Finch did most of the return on the 2nd half and Finch had a nice return for 30 yards or so.

Looks like teams have to cut their rosters on Tuesday so we will probably hear some of the first cut by this weekend and by Tuesday. Stamps will play BC next week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post: