Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #161
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

One thing I don't think has been brought up enough is how much ass Black Widow kicks in this movie. She has some of the most excitingly choreographed scenes, and is probably the most fun version of her character. Scarlett. Let's be friends.
Not as many form fitting clothes though. Had me wondering if Johannson is pregnant.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #162
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Not as many form fitting clothes though. Had me wondering if Johannson is pregnant.
I did notice during the hanger scene that she fights with her zipper conveniently lowered to still show cleavage.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #163
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I did notice during the hanger scene that she fights with her zipper conveniently lowered to still show cleavage.
That's some crazy zipper as it doesn't budge at all with her flipping, moving, and general ass-kicking.

Last edited by Looch City; 05-17-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #164
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yes Black Widow's ass..... kicking is something we need more of.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #165
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

just finished watching it as I had some time to kill before catching a plane home. It is my hands down my favorite Marvel movie. I would describe it as James Bond meets the Avengers with a little Expendebles thrown in.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #166
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Just saw it with the family. Great movie. Only nitpick for me was Tony's anger at seeing how his parents died seemed overblown to me. He knew Bucky was being controlled - he called him Manchurian Candidate. Seemed way too over the top to cause the rift that it did.
If someone chocked my mom to death, I wouldn't care what his excuse was. Also, it's not like he was cured either. He could easily be controlled by someone else and kill more people. Most people in Iron Man's shoes would put him down.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 AM   #167
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Maybe it's fatigue from Batman v Superman and the creative methods they use to have former team mates fight each other but I didn't enjoy that as much as I thought I would have.

They really turned it into Captain America's battle to save and redeem his friend. There's nothing wrong with that but it sacrificed some of the real meaning that they could have brought across.

In the comics, Civil War was not about the Sohcovia Accords but about the Superhero Registration Act. This was in the aftermath of 9/11 in the climate of political fear, of racial profiling, of Guantanamo Bay, etc. Sort of how the Nazis forced the Jews to wear the Star of David, anybody with abnormal abilities or basically anyone who was "different" was forced to register themselves, give up their identities, their lives, and their personal freedoms, etc. Those that did not comply found themselves in that horrific prison.

That's the battle I wanted fought in this movie. Not a super-hero team up or a buddy vs buddy flick...but Captain America standing up for freedom and civil liberties against Tony Stark's control-freak drive leading to a near-facist state.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #168
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Civil War comics are, for the most part, terrible. This movie is a huge improvement on the pedantic and illogical comic series.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #169
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be way too hard to do that version of the Civil War in this universe.

Unlike the comic universe with it's many characters everyone already knows who the super heroes are in this universe.

Iron Man and Captain America have already revealed their identities. Thor, Hawkeye, Falcon, Widow, and Scarlet Witch don't even have a secret identity.

So really the only people you would be revealing would be Hulk, Spiderman, and Ant-Man.

This storyline pretty much simplified it to just the second half of the Superhero Act. You had to register, and give up your lives and personal freedoms to become an army for the United Nations, who would decide when and where you could use your powers. Much more manageable for a 2 1/2 hour movie in my opinion.

Do agree though that they could have focused and expanded on that idea a little bit more, as opposed to it just being Captain America trying to save his best pal Bucky.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #170
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It made more sense as to Captain America's ideological motivations in the comics, but they just couldn't do it in the MCU. Not enough superheroes to actually make it a civil rights debate.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #171
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Virtually nobody's motivation makes sense in the comics. At least in the movie it's believable how the different characters line up with the issue as presented. It's so starkly an ideological conflict in the comics that it's mostly tone-deaf to how actual humans would have reacted in that situation.

That and the comics is about 104 different issues of characters rehashing the exact same ideological argument, literally. The amount of times the collective safety vs. individual freedom argument is brought up in the comics is like every single issue. And there's no way to resolve that argument! It's fundamentally boring.

In the movie you have Cap who can see how regulation and oversight can limit them from effectively doing their job of protecting people and you have Iron Man who has experienced his own destructive power with things like Ultron and realizes that they can do their work more effectively if they have the trust of government.

In the comic you have Cap who refuses on ideological principles to register because that's not "American" and you have Iron Man who wants everyone to register because then the government will be able to "regulate" superhero activity (how they can do that is never explained). It boils down to turning Cap into an ideological simpleton and Iron Man into a fascist. And they reach those positions almost immediately within the narrative arc. The story is so forced and cheesy with painfully brute allegories to September 11th. There's not an inch of an actual human being acting like how a human being would in that story. No nuance, just smashing.

Compare to the movie where instead of Cap and Iron Man fighting over registering with the government (makes no sense), to Cap and Iron Man fighting over Cap who's trying to rehabilitate his childhood friend that he knows is fundamentally a good person and Iron Man who's in a blind rage because that person killed his parents. The motivations are much more associative to the audience and connected to between the characters. It makes *sense*.

Anyway, rant over. Just because the comics came first doesn't mean that they're infallible. Infact the movie demonstrated just how bad and ham handed the comics were.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post: