Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #21
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

true but there are times when i think they need to take it to the net and they seldom do it. Snider used to do it and Mcfeteridge also
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #22
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...&postcount=484
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #23
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Being new to Calgary I took in my first NLL game for the Roughnecks home opener. Let's be honest, no one really follows the NLL if you do not have a team in your city unless you are a die hard lacrosse fan. I don't mean to take a shot at the league like that as I really enjoyed the game and will be going back to the next one. The atmosphere was actually more electric than any of the Flames games I've been to here when you factor in the difference in attendance for each. I could see the NLL working in a lot of markets and I hope they take the time to grow this sport properly. They have gained my interest!

I was hoping someone who knows the game well to explain it a little more to me on this forum. I've played high levels of hockey so my perception of the game tends to relate to my biased knowledge of how to play hockey. I was confused right away about the line changes. Both teams seemed to allow fast breaks and odd man rushes down the court? (don't know my lacrosse language) to change when turn overs occurred. I assume it has to do with keeping fresh legs on the court as running obviously takes a lot out of you but it seemed to create most of the scoring chances against both teams. Whats the thought behind that. What am I seeing?
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #24
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

In many ways it is closer to basketball. In terms of your question - the skills required, and therefore players you use on D, is much different than the guys you use on offense. So it isn't like hockey where you have D and F playing at the same time, you basically have attackers and defenders.
Transition players are a blend - that are designed to push the ball up the floor - but the line between what is a Transition player v. a D is becoming very blurry.

The frequency of odd man rushes is also a lot higher when the teams have the long change. Dane Dobbie has made a living scoring goals on breakaways during those quarters.

Glad you enjoyed your first game.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #25
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the info. What are the basic rules for penalties. I can see you're allowed a lot of contact with the stick but at what point is it crossing the line. Mid section to shoulders all legal? Allowed to set picks?
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #26
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Yeah pretty much above the waist and below the shoulders is fine. In reality they often get away with a lot of other stuff.

You set a pick, but you can't get in the way of a player that is actively defending an attacker. Frankly it is often hard to tell what gets called and not called.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #27
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Transition players are a blend - that are designed to push the ball up the floor - but the line between what is a Transition player v. a D is becoming very blurry.
Particularly since they reduced the roster size.

As far as penalties go, your guess as as good as the referees most games. I've been watching since the Roughnecks' second ever game, and I still don't know what is going to be called from one quarter to the next.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #28
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Particularly since they reduced the roster size.

As far as penalties go, your guess as as good as the referees most games. I've been watching since the Roughnecks' second ever game, and I still don't know what is going to be called from one quarter to the next.
The penalties are tough, the infractions that cause a change in possession are even together.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup. Near as I can tell, that is really just a push to the back or an illegal screen of someone away from the ball.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #30
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

went to the roughnecks game and couldnt believe the reffing, the Stealth were basically the Canucks out there. constant diving and embellishment. nice to see the roughnecks win though
Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #31
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure if the rush are this good or CALGARY is this bad but this is a blood bath so far and from what I have seen is a complete lack of interest and just aa ton of bad penalties. I think they are looking forward to the superhero game tomorrow and not the job tonight
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #32
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Both. Rush are damn good and you simply cannot give them that many 5 on 3 powerplays. 5 straight goals by Greer by himself is pretty impressive.
Riggers should manage floor time in the 2nd half as they have the Swarm tomorrow - a team that hung 20 on the Rock last weekend.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #33
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have loved the d coverage at all the last few games that Center pass just seems to always be there
Old 02-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #34
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nice to see Saskatoon buy into the team though. 8600 last weekend, 9800 last night. The NLL needs some stability with some of these teams. And whenever Katz gets his replacement team, a solid Calgary-Edmonton-Sasktoon triangle would be big for the Roughnecks themselves.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #35
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nice to see Saskatoon buy into the team though. 8600 last weekend, 9800 last night. The NLL needs some stability with some of these teams. And whenever Katz gets his replacement team, a solid Calgary-Edmonton-Sasktoon triangle would be big for the Roughnecks themselves.
I got season tickets to the Rush. Great sport to watch live. Hopefully the city continues to support. Supporting the team 9 times a year should be easy specially with a good team right from the start. I'm actually surprised how many rush jerseys i see in the crowd.

GeoffSK
GeoffSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #36
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

hope the sask. fans embrace the rush, they are a damn good team
Old 02-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #37
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nice little comeback win for the Roughnecks last night. Given how inept they looked in the first quarter, that was a remarkable win.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #38
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Took my friends to their first lacrosse game last night, they were getting a little antsy and wanted to leave when we were down 9-3 or something, I told them things can change pretty quickly in the NLL and we should stick around. Think they were more than a little surprised when the roughnecks actually did manage to come back and win it

Great game, my only complaint was the dickbag in my section yelling out random #### during the anthems (Ps. The girl who sang was absolutely remarkable, hope she gets to do Flames games in the future)
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #39
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you were in 219 I was in that section as well and wanted to drop kick him over the rail.
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #40
JiriHrdina

Exp:

That's a very young Swarm team and once they started to lose the momentum, they didn't know how to get it back. I think the other thing is that Brodie Macdonald simply isn't a great goaltender. He had a lot of balls just hitting him throughout the game. He is a big guy so that's part of his approach - but when you have Dickson just ripping one off his big toe and he doesn't react - that's telling.

The game should have been closer at half time based on that alone, but once the Riggers started to put balls behind him - I think they knew they could score enough to come back.

Fun game and a big win. 3-3 now instead of 0-6 this time last year.

The Rush are in an entire class right now in the league. The rest of the league (except the Rock) are just a big mess of teams that can beat each other on any given night.