Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #21
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Leave arnold alone!!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This gif posted in the comments perfectly sums up everyone's feelings.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
This gif posted in the comments perfectly sums up everyone's feelings.

Terminator: Swanson.

This is the climactic scene where he deep-sixes Skynet.

Still better than Genysis.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #24
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is truly devastating. I've been looking forward to the "future" part of the franchise for years. Salvation wasn't bad IMO, certainly the best one they released since T2.

I even thought the TV series was good, was really disappointed that got cancelled and now this.

Damn damn damn.....
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #25
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
“It’s like going on tour again if you’re Pink Floyd — the audience always wants to hear some of the old songs,” Doctor Who alum Matt Smith tells EW. “There are enough nods to the past that people will feel satisfied.”
Quote:
“Skynet no longer has to break down our front door, because we line up in front of Apple stores to invite it in,” producer David Ellison says. “We’re constantly giving away our privacy.”
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...nator-genisys/

Old 10-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Ambient yet chilling music
No Brad Fiedel is what is killing the franchise. His music makes Terminator in my opinion. It sets the mood with it's foreboding mechanical themes and emotional, ghostly, synthesizers that make you feel like you are starting on that long road to the future.

The techno'd up dance sounding version of the theme in the T3 credits doesn't count. The entire movie needs to be scored with that feeling and not another regurgitated piece of crap thumping 2000's Hans Zimmer theme like everything sounds like these days.

This is also bloody awful casting just like T3 and Salvation. Constantly getting actors who evoke none of the feeling of the characters that embody this franchise is baffling. I like all these people as actors but together, as Terminator characters, it looks like a joke. It looks like bad cosplay and photoshop.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-31-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #27
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I am not a fan at all in what's coming. I watched the original Terminator last night, and it's the type of movie I would consider to be "perfect". I wouldn't say that about many movies, but I can't find a single fault with the original (Judgement Day has a few problems).

T
I'm sorry, what?
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #28
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I don't know why I find this so funny but where she is looking and where she is shooting are two different things.

lol
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #29
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I'm sorry, what?
I've explained it before, but the whole subplot with John trying to humanize the T-1000 doesn't work for me. Things like Arnold cracking jokes, being sarcastic, and that the movie tries to be too funny when it doesn't need to be. Also as much as like much as I like Robert Patrick, I still thing the dynamic between Kyle Reese and Arnold in the first movie makes for a better movie. Then of course there's the relationship between Reese and Conner, which is a real absence in the sequel.

It's also just a matter of tastes as to whether one prefers Terminator and Alien or Terminator 2 and Aliens. Sure the action in the sequels is better, but I think as a movie nothing beats the gritty, more effective (suspenseful, yet terrifying) originals. They don't need the quips, one liners, explosions, and jokes to be great.

T2 and Aliens are 4 1/2 star movies for me, but still they're not quite perfect. That being said I would watch them any day of the week, but in a way they're just two of the best popcorn movies.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #30
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

subplot with John trying to humanize the T-1000?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #31
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's in there, watch the movie again, for some of the cheeseball dialogue between John and Arnold (even Sarah mentions it).

Then there's scenes like this.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #32
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

The biggest mistake Salvation made was having the most significant plot reveal in every trailer for the movie. It's the equivalent of having a movie trailer for Empire that has Vader telling Luke he's his father.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 11-04-2014 at 08:06 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
It's in there, watch the movie again, for some of the cheeseball dialogue between John and Arnold (even Sarah mentions it).

Then there's scenes like this.

T-800 dude. Yeah I really want to see the movie where John Connor tries to get along with Robert Patrick's T-1000.

Arnold plays a T-800 which has a learning neural net CPU, from a series of Terminators designed to understand human behaviour and mimic it - versus the crude rubber-faced T-600 infiltrators. The ability for him to learn and attempt to mimic and interpret human languages/emotions/etc. is not cheeseball.

The Edward Furlong/Arnold pairing is the strong point of the film but obviously it's not to your tastes. I personally feel that The Terminator (1984) is a pretty weak film with a Sarah/Kyle relationship that feels forced and unnatural. It's also incredibly dated while T2 still looks like a polished, modern film on repeated viewings.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I've explained it before, but the whole subplot with John trying to humanize the T-1000 doesn't work for me. Things like Arnold cracking jokes, being sarcastic, and that the movie tries to be too funny when it doesn't need to be. Also as much as like much as I like Robert Patrick, I still thing the dynamic between Kyle Reese and Arnold in the first movie makes for a better movie. Then of course there's the relationship between Reese and Conner, which is a real absence in the sequel.

It's also just a matter of tastes as to whether one prefers Terminator and Alien or Terminator 2 and Aliens. Sure the action in the sequels is better, but I think as a movie nothing beats the gritty, more effective (suspenseful, yet terrifying) originals. They don't need the quips, one liners, explosions, and jokes to be great.

T2 and Aliens are 4 1/2 star movies for me, but still they're not quite perfect. That being said I would watch them any day of the week, but in a way they're just two of the best popcorn movies.
Agree about Aliens but disagree about the human relationship part in T2. In the moments where there was no danger the Terminator was able to interact with John and learn human behavior to better adapt and fit in so that he could protect John further. It was true to the era in which it was produced and is nearly a perfect movie in my opinion, much like Die Hard. May not have 100% perfect dialogue but as a whole it stands up very well in comparison to pretty much anything nowadays. Alien, T2, Die Hard will be watchable in 20 years compared to any action movies that came out in the past 10 years.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #35
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to watch T2 right now
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #36
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

yup ... still ####ing awesome and pretty much perfect
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #37
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, this is perfect.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator/

Yes I am aware perfection is in the eye of the beholder, but Terminator is as perfect as an action movie can get. It didn't need the 100 million dollar budget to be perfect either, I can't even believe how inexpensive the budget was. Before you go and check it was only 6.4 million, that right about 1/15 the budget of Judgement Day.

Even Alien cost 11 million, but most of the effect of Terminator do stand up in my view (aside from the movements of T-800 in the end).

Last edited by trackercowe; 11-08-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #38
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
yup ... still ####ing awesome and pretty much perfect
Which version did you watch?

Watched the normal theatrical release on Netflix a couple months ago and while it is perfect, it's slightly less perfect then the directors cut I used to watch on DVD over and over. The scenes with the T-800 taking the damaged chip out, Sarah wanting to destroy it.. the added stuff of the T-1000 starting to fail.. all that stuff really fleshed out an already perfect(bold, italic, underline) movie for me.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #39
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theatrical. That chip removal scene is a good scene for sure, but I just have the flow of events of the theatrical release burned into my memory so I stick with it.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #40
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, this is perfect.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator/

Yes I am aware perfection is in the eye of the beholder, but Terminator is as perfect as an action movie can get. It didn't need the 100 million dollar budget to be perfect either, I can't even believe how inexpensive the budget was. Before you go and check it was only 6.4 million, that right about 1/15 the budget of Judgement Day.

Even Alien cost 11 million, but most of the effect of Terminator do stand up in my view (aside from the movements of T-800 in the end).
T1 was good but the grainy lower image quality ages it a little bit. Overall yeah T1 was pretty damn good as well, the music was just amazing. When they are getting chased through the stores into the alleyway, that's how movies should be made as the audience is inclined to actually care when there isn't constant overstimulation.The music serves to induce the feeling of dread while being chased by an unstoppable robot but not in a way that is too overt.

Last edited by AcGold; 11-08-2014 at 11:58 AM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote