Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #201
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh and if you can find a pirate link or even buy, the DVD for the 2009 stage play is excellent. The newer one done in 2012 with Liam Neeson is dissapointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_iTO8M-zBc
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #202
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well that was awesome. One thing bugged me though

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #203
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Come on guys, seriously Bruce Campbell!!! how in the hell can this show get any awesomer!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #204
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well that was awesome. One thing bugged me though

Spoiler!
Possibly, it was to send a message. Did seem sloppy to me also. I was surprised when he turned up alive.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #205
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Come on guys, seriously Bruce Campbell!!! how in the hell can this show get any awesomer!
He is so perfect as Reagan too. The voice, the empty rhetoric, the hints of dementia
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #206
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I dont see the point of having Reagan in this, but maybe it will make sense at the end. Seems like a needless liberal pot shot.
Also the CGI is bothering me again. Ive seen more convincing blood splatter on youtube videos. Kind of ruined what would have been a sweet shootout.
Other than that i cant really complain, except I would like to see more of Nick Offerman.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:06 AM   #207
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Hmm I don't see it as a liberal pot shot, the writer and even Bruce grew up emulating him, Bruce even practiced his mannerisms as a youngster.

If anything they have a childhood crush on the guy.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #208
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Hmm I don't see it as a liberal pot shot, the writer and even Bruce grew up emulating him, Bruce even practiced his mannerisms as a youngster.

If anything they have a childhood crush on the guy.
I thought the scene in the bathroom was very mean-spirited. Brought up his Alzheimer's, and he compared a movie role to being in Vietnam. Obviously meant to make him seem out of touch and maybe a little dumb. It also felt like a shot at his lack of combat service (apparently because of poor eyesight).
Old 11-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #209
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Fargo is not trying to take shots at anyone or anything. It's a Coen world where everything is a bit bizarre where even the "this is a true story" thing at the beginning is designed to be a lie. That's why its about people with Swedish accents, wacky criminals, Ronald Reagan, and UFOs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #210
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Fargo is not trying to take shots at anyone or anything. It's a Coen world where everything is a bit bizarre where even the "this is a true story" thing at the beginning is designed to be a lie. That's why its about people with Swedish accents, wacky criminals, Ronald Reagan, and UFOs.
Watch the scene in the bathroom again. Clearly alluding to his Alzheimer's and military service. If that's not a shot at Reagan I don't know what is.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #211
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Watch the scene in the bathroom again. Clearly alluding to his Alzheimer's and military service. If that's not a shot at Reagan I don't know what is.
It is your interpretation. I loved Ronald Reagan's oratory skill. I have spent hours on Youtube watching Reagan speeches. I've even watched the "It's Morning Again in America" political ad to relax. My view of him is not diminished by the fact that they made a hilarious joke in the context of the story (one man shares his horrific war story at a urinal, Ronald Reagan shares his war-story about being in a horrific war movie). This dissonant juxtaposition is one of the basic foundations of comedy. Not everything needs to be interpreted as some form of character assassination or political attack. One constant message in Fargo is about revealing the humour, bizarre, and sometimes darkness lying beneath the exterior. That's the reason for all the allusions in S1 and S2 about mid-westerners saying nice things on the outside but hiding the truth of their nature on the inside. That's certainly true of all politicians, Reagan included. To me, it just reveals the human side of him and it's neither good or bad.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-15-2015 at 01:34 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2015, 05:17 AM   #212
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really not that big of a deal, the season has been really, really good. I just think it's obvious it's meant to be demeaning. When you have the president Republicans revere the most portrayed as charismatic actor with little substance, it's safe to say there's some partisan commentary going on.
Also the season opened with him late for a movie shoot (because he didn't look heroic enough), then a Jimmy Carter speech.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #213
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Other than that i cant really complain, except I would like to see more of Nick Offerman.
Well you sure got your wish! And what a pleasure it was! Hilarious!

Not only was that episode a total side-splitter, but it had scenes filled with real tension and suspense. An absolutely excellent episode, that just made this season a must watch if you haven't been convinced (or haven't been able to convince others) yet.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #214
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Really not that big of a deal, the season has been really, really good. I just think it's obvious it's meant to be demeaning. When you have the president Republicans revere the most portrayed as charismatic actor with little substance, it's safe to say there's some partisan commentary going on.
Also the season opened with him late for a movie shoot (because he didn't look heroic enough), then a Jimmy Carter speech.
The Carter speech is widely considered historically as a failure that potentially sank his campaign. Carter brought a message of defeat to America and he told them that there was some disease in America. This is in the opening scene because sets the stage for the world of 1979 Fargo where there's a malaise in corruption, crime, and recession happening and America is "sick".

Reagan is juxtaposed as the movie hero, the cowboy coming in to save America by telling them the heroic story and telling them what they wanted to hear. Much of his legacy as the great communicator comes from that. We'll see what role he plays in the rest of the series.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #215
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

That was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. I can't wait to find out what happened at the Gerhardt ranch or to Dodd. Kristen Dunst pulled a Batman!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:16 AM   #216
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yes, this season now ranks up there with the best television I have ever seen, up there with the best Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc..
Old 11-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #217
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Surprised there's not more talk about the last episode. So good! Offerman had me in tears. Was watching it with my mom at her place and she was laughing so hard we had to stop it in two places so she could hear the dialogue.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #218
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This is one of those shows I find impossible to get people to watch. My office team does nothing but talk about TV all the time but it's all Walking Dead, Gotham, etc.

I tried to get people to watch Fargo and the response is like talking to a wall I don't get it. This outshines everything else I've ever seen.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #219
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This is one of those shows I find impossible to get people to watch. My office team does nothing but talk about TV all the time but it's all Walking Dead, Gotham, etc.

I tried to get people to watch Fargo and the response is like talking to a wall I don't get it. This outshines everything else I've ever seen.
I got a friend of mine to watch season 1 by buying the series for about 30 bucks. He was traumatized from it though haha and is too scared to watch season 2. I find that funny because he liked the Wire and things like that.

However, other than him and my sister it's been a tough sell. That whole rogers FxX business really put a wrench in the accessibility of the show with season 1, and it seems to have suffered a bit as a consequence. Such a shame
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #220
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Even on CP this show is a bit of a tough sell I keep bumping this thread in hopes of spreading awareness!