Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Google Nexus 7 Tablet

I'm surprised I didn't see an article on this already. Yesterday Google announced their Nexus 7 tablet and personally I think it looks awesome.

For $199 you get an 8 GB and for $250 you get a 16 GB tablet.

Obligatory Photo:

Engadget calls it the best $200 laptop you can buy.

Quote:
udget tablets typically make the biggest sacrifices on the display front, and certainly the 1,024 x 600 resolution on the Kindle Fire feels a bit constricting at this point. Not so with the Nexus 7, which is fronted by a very nice 1,280 x 800 IPS panel rated at 400 nits of brightness.
Quote:
In fact, if benchmarks are to be believed, this little guy actually performs better than its bigger brothers. SunSpider tests, which look at JavaScript rendering speeds in the new Chrome browser, were completed on average in a relatively speedy 1,785ms. The tablet burned through Vellamo with an average score of 1,650 and notched 11,713 in CF-Bench. Only the Quadrant score was on the low side compared to the much higher-priced competition, coming in at 3,501.
Quote:
And of course a tablet is only good for as long as you can use the thing, and we were quite impressed by the longevity here. We came within spitting distance of 10 hours on a charge using out standard rundown test, which has the tablet connected on WiFi and looping a video endlessly. That's very, very good for a budget 7-incher and bests many bigger, more expensive slates.
Quote:
The Nexus 7 is an amazing package for something that costs a penny less than $200. It feels like something that could sell for much more. It has a great screen, solid performance and a clean, clear, uncluttered version of Google's latest operating system, Jelly Bean.
I'm debating if I should buy one. For the price point I don't see how I could go wrong. Tablets with equivalent specs right now sell for double the price.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first thing that has come along that has made me regret my playbook @ $200. (as much as you can regret a gadget purchase that was made 9 months ago, given the advances that come out)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Interesting. Keep going Google, need more rivals for the Ipad.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to be being positioned more as a competitor for Amazon Fire. Same screen size/type, same price point. and as for media, Google is apparently now selling Movies, TV Shows and Magazine subscriptions through Google Play (although I don't know how fast/if that will occur outside the US). Up to now Google have just rented Movies (or sold books) through Play.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If only it had an HDMI port. Still will probably buy one if I get involved in an Android oriented project.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
If only it had an HDMI port. Still will probably buy one if I get involved in an Android oriented project.
I thought it did?
Quote:
The HDMI port follows Google’s renewed TV efforts and may encourage developers to build apps for the living room
http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...mpid=138887484
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Whaaa? I thought I'd read it didn't, I'd definitely get one then.

EDIT: I don't see it on the spec sheet, only seems to say USB.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's a very interesting product at the price point. Assuming one weren't invested in the iTunes ecosystem already, that $200 iPod Touch seems a tad pricy, unless you wanted to use it while exercising.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Whaaa? I thought I'd read it didn't, I'd definitely get one then.

EDIT: I don't see it on the spec sheet, only seems to say USB.
Searching it sounds like the early demo versions had it but the latest version doesn't. But the reporting seems all over the map.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Very excited in this product. I liked the smaller form factor of the Blackberry Playbook but it the software was junk even with the new OS update. The total lack of Netflix support in any future made me return it.

I've been using my iPad less and less because I just don't like the bigger size. It will be nice to get this and be totally free of the Apple ecosystem.

The price seems great too.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Searching it sounds like the early demo versions had it but the latest version doesn't. But the reporting seems all over the map.
Mhl, maybe?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Just about everyone seems to be calling it a winner.

It seems to be too. The pricing helps too.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ordered! I have a company issued iPad and it will be interesting to offer up some comparisons. (I use a Galaxy Nexus as a phone already)

The question is when will this ship.... I'm not terribly optimistic for the Mid July timelines I've heard given the Asus debacle with the TF Prime. Than and the price point + positive reviews mean that this could be a serious seller.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Mhl, maybe?
I've seen people wondering that but it doesn't seem like it. If that was an option I would think they would be including that in the spec list.

According to an article on The Verge, the HDMI was a late cut to be able to make the price point"
Quote:
Apparently, the devices are still pricey enough that Google is selling the Nexus 7 at cost, and even then, a number of features didn't make the cut. This ME370T won't come with a stylus, an HDMI port, or a rear-facing camera, and comes with 8GB or 16GB storage compared to the 16GB and 32GB configurations originally planned, and the microSD slot to expand that capacity at will is also not included here.
The "ME370T" is the Asus tablet that eventually became the Nexus 7. http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/28/31...-google-nvidia

And the review the Verge gave was very positive:
Quote:
Google’s Nexus 7 isn’t just an excellent tablet for $200. It’s an excellent tablet, period.
Quote:
The Nexus 7 delivers way more functionality than I expected, and it delivers it in a package that’s sleek, smart, and affordably priced.

Believe it or not, the last time I was surprised by a product with those same qualities, it was called the iPad.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/31...nexus-7-review

Edit: per Anandtech:
Quote:
In addition, MHL is not supported on the Nexus 7, which isn't very surprising since adding MHL requires another package and would increase BOM cost.
—WKRP in Cincinatti

Last edited by Bobblehead; 06-29-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just ordered one as well. My wife as an iPad so will post some comparisons as well when I get it.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here comes the Apple competition....

Quote:
According to Bloomberg’s sources Apple will release a new iPad coming in the Fall. People who have “knowledge of the plans” have revealed that the screen size should be between 7 and 8 inches, thus making it more affordable.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/04/ap...ber-bloomberg/
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

You mean they will actually try to compete instead of trying to ban it from being sold?

Amazing.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They'll claim they just invented 7" tablets, and then patent making 7" rectangular items and THEN sue.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Super excited for Google Now... All the reviews make it sound like a big step forward.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You mean they will actually try to compete instead of trying to ban it from being sold?

Amazing.
We don't really know that yet.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote