Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #141
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
K I'm on it
They rejected my offer. Oh well, worth a shot I guess.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #142
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
That seems like a massive exaggeration to me
I can't remember which game it was in the series, but I'm pretty sure it was at Honda and it was in the third period. Things were getting chippy and Bennett grabbed a hold of Kesler's collar and was jerking him around (pause) and he did it like 5 or 6 times basically begging him to drop his gloves and he refused lol. I'll try and find the clip.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #143
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some other points from last night, some already mentioned. All my interpretations and paraphrasing.

King
- Ken King started the entire thing by repeating the elderly Filipino lady in hospice story again. So odd that he keeps bringing it up.
- The City was reviewing the Stampede ground plans last night and the Flames hoped the hear the outcome either after the season ticket holder presentation or this morning.
- The Stampede proposal will not include a football stadium - McMahon would need to be repaired on its own.
- Some more of the usual CalgaryNext and arena propaganda
- Easy for the mayor to drop one-liners about the need for public benefit when the Flames have a 20- to 30-page document outlining all the public benefit. Believes people are smarter than listening to small sound bites and headlines.
- Raised ticket prices to "keep up". With what? Flames have a budget of $100-million CAD but players are paid in USD.
- According to the Flames, they rank sixth in ticket prices among Canadian teams. Also, the Flames could have higher ticket prices as, according to their own analysis, they are losing $10- to $15-million per year to the secondary market. Chalked it up to generous owners.
- Ticket prices will probably increase in the new arena, but not to the extent the Oilers raised theirs.
- Flames ranked 16th in revenue, meaning they will get a small cheque from the league.
- A fan brought up that Forbes disagrees, and Ken King ripped into Forbes saying they never contact the Flames and have no idea how the business works. Fan asked why the Flames don't release their financials, then, and King did not answer.

Treliving
- Treliving was asked about Backlund and said he was probably the best choice for team MVP last season. But, better than that, is what a great person Backlund is. His charity work is well known, but Treliving told a story about how the players get provided meals after each game. Well, one game Treliving stayed late and dropped into the dressing room and saw Backlund packing all the leftovers and unused food into takeout boxes and joked that they weren't paying him enough for him to feed himself at home. Turns out Backlund does this after each home game and makes a stop at the Drop-in Centre on his way home to drop off the unused food. What a terrific person Backlund is.
- Asked whether the priority was a #4 defenceman or a first-line RW: Of those, the #4 defenceman would take priority, but #1 priority is a starting goaltender. Mentioned that Gaudreau and Monahan have had terrific success as youngsters with a rotating cast of RWers so why spend big money there. Mentioned Ferland as someone who he thought meshed well with them.
- Doesn't think the Flames make the playoffs without Michael Stone. Joked that in contract negotiations, Stone/agent have brought up the 10-game winning streak that happened as soon as the Flames acquired him. Obviously a joke but read into "contract negotiations" if you will.
- The Flames will protect 7-3-1 and the slots on defence are obvious. Hard to make a move, particularly for a defender, because of the effects on the protection slots.
- Once the protection lists are released, Treliving will be all over Vegas on inquiring about trades where Vegas would draft a player from another team then flip them. Imagines every GM will be burning through batteries during that time.
- Mentioned the conference call where the League urged GMs, in particular Vegas, not to leak things prior to the awards show. If Vegas complies, the Flames will find out who they lose the same time the fans do.
- Lazar oozes character and leadership; can play all three forward positions in any role. Sees him as a utility player for 10+ seasons with the Flames. As mentioned many times, Lazar will be better than the player they picked in the second round.
- Tough start was, in hindsight, hard to avoid given: Gaudreau missing camp, Monahan and Backlund recovering from injuries, and a complete 180 in systems play. Took longer than they expected for the players to become fluid in the new tactics, but it wasn't due to a lack of buy-in. Impressed everyone, including Gulutzan, stuck with things despite all the "bullets" being shot their way at the start.
- Always looking to get bigger but it can't come at the expense of skill. When you're playing against McDavid or Crosby, size doesn't mean anything if you can't defend to begin with. Mentioned Brouwer as someone with size who can play as an example. (Really, Brad?!)
- The Flames young centres have gone through significant growing pains, specifically with face-offs, but that's because the Flames haven't sheltered them. When you're 19 or 20 and facing Thornton, Getzlaf, and Kopitar in the span of a week, you're going to get beat up, which they did. Part of the learning process and they will be better long-term as a result.
- If he had to handicap it, the Flames will pick at 16.
- No superstars in the draft, but the draft has been beat-down so much it's now under-rated. Still solid players to be had who will become all-stars - just a matter of identifying them.
- Flames plan on drafting a goalie in the second or third round every second draft. This year they would have if they hadn't acquired Lazar/Stone, so next year they definitely will.
- Stockton was the second youngest team in the AHL and they intend to keep it a young team. Some AHL teams try to win, while the Flames' intention is to develop. Would rather a 20-year-old lose a key faceoff and get scored on than a 28-year-old journeyman win the draw and clear the puck. The youngster will learn and get better as a result. The Heat may struggle against the older teams as a result, but that's fine because they only want players on the Heat who they think could play for the Flames one day.

Burke
- Apologized for and regretted his comments from last week, but maintains his opinion of the man he was talking to. Thinks the whole thing was a setup. Shouldn't have lost his cool but he did and can't take it back.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Anduril, Badgers Nose, Brad Marsh, Bunk, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, CliffFletcher, csnarpy, Cycling76er, D as in David, Demaeon, Dion, drewtastic, dustygoon, Erick Estrada, Fighting Banana Slug, flambers, Flamboyant 14, Flamezzz, flame^thrower, FlatLandFlamesFan, Freddy, Gaskal, getbak, GoFlamesGo, Gondi Stylez, GranteedEV, GreenHardHat, gvitaly, Hey Connor, It's Mess, HitterD, IamNotKenKing, Inferno099, jtfrogger, KevinKlineReadingABook, Large11, MarkGio, Matata, mile, Mony, Plaedo, powderjunkie, psyang, Radio, rayne008, Reign of Fire, robertsfanatic, Roof-Daddy, Rubicant, Samonadreau, Savvy27, Slacker, slybomb, squiggs96, StAlbertFlame, Stay Golden, Stochansky, Strange Brew, StrykerSteve, The Cobra, TheCommodoreAfro, TheFlamesVan, TheScorpion, Toonage, tvp2003, Vulcan
Old 06-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #144
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund really is a special guy. Humble, authentic and giving. A real example on what a pro athlete should be.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #145
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund packing all the leftovers and unused food into takeout boxes and joked that they weren't paying him enough for him to feed himself at home. Turns out Backlund does this after each home game and makes a stop at the Drop-in Centre on his way home to drop off the unused food. What a terrific person Backlund is.
This is pretty awesome. Hard to not like Backlund as an Oiler fan.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #146
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is my new favourite player on the Flames, although he wasn't far off to begin with.

Awesome story about him. What the world needs more of is good people like Backs.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #147
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Backlund really is a special guy. Humble, authentic and giving. A real example on what a pro athlete should be.
+1. Hopefully this bodes well for him re-signing here once his current deal is done.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #148
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund has always seemed like a guy that loves being a Calgary Flame. That's one thing I've always liked about him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #149
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks to all who've provided notes. Always nice to hear what's going on at these gatherings.

Also, Backlund better be wearing an A next season! Sorry Brouwer, you had your time.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #150
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for Backlund.

But it begs the question: why aren't the Flames doing it already?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #151
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Good for Backlund.

But it begs the question: why aren't the Flames doing it already?
no... no.. it doens't beg that question... the flames do a lot around calgary already.. they can hardly be called out for not doing enough.. it could just be no one thought of it, didn't think of it.. until backlund. hopefully when or if backlund moves on it continues.. it's a good move.. we shouldn't look at a positive decision by someone and use it to wonder why another person or group didn't... that's really backwards to me..
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #152
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Backlund is awesome... From watching him lift the whl trophy and skate around the ice here in kelowna to his dedication to getting better and character off ice he has been my favourite player to watch progress through his career on the flames.. Gio and jankowski are close behind but what a great story Just waiting to see him get re-signed and he will be my next crested jersey.

Also +1 on he should be wearing an A comment. Most boneheaded move the flames have made in the last year passing over him for Brouwer.. And thats saying something with how they've handled stadium negotiations and how tone deaf they are on the jerseys.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #153
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's a great Backlund story!

even more impressed that it so under the radar... speaks highly of Backlund's character...

Great player and apparently an even better person.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman View Post
Thanks to all who've provided notes. Always nice to hear what's going on at these gatherings.

Also, Backlund better be wearing an A next season! Sorry Brouwer, you had your time.
A travesty.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #155
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there not some big liability issue with restaurants/stores donating unused food to places like shelters? I would imagine the Flames likely fall into the same category. Likely not as big a deal if some individual person is down there randomly dropping food off to some of the folks every now and then.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #156
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Is there not some big liability issue with restaurants/stores donating unused food to places like shelters? I would imagine the Flames likely fall into the same category. Likely not as big a deal if some individual person is down there randomly dropping food off to some of the folks every now and then.
This. My friends and I donate bread from Cobs to local Calgary Housing Units and we are required to sign off before taking the bread so that we take responsibility if anyone gets sick. Otherwise they throw it out after closing.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #157
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
This. My friends and I donate bread from Cobs to local Calgary Housing Units and we are required to sign off before taking the bread so that we take responsibility if anyone gets sick. Otherwise they throw it out after closing.
That is ####ing pathetic. You know you live in an over litigious world when the damn shelters or homeless are suing the courteous and generous.

Damn lawyers are the problem. Stupid philosophic principles like "it's better to have a system where the innocent are free than to have one where the guilty are incarcerated" that's said from a remote cave completely out of touch from the real world. It's really just greed and selfishness.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #158
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
While this fear of lawsuits is entirely real, the guys from Freakonomics looked everywhere and couldn't find a single lawsuit filed by anyone who got sick from donated food. Not sure there's even a realistic lawsuit that could be filed there, but that's a question for Delgar, Troutman or other Law speakin' folks
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #159
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
That is ####ing pathetic. You know you live in an over litigious world when the damn shelters or homeless are suing the courteous and generous.
Yeah, damn them. But is this actually happening?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #160
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the US there's a law that got passed in the 90's protecting restaurants against liability in donating food. I'm not sure if there's a similar law here or not, but to my knowledge there's never actually been a lawsuit or anything like that. There's dozens of charity organizations in Canada that specialize in picking up food that would normally go to waste and taking it to food banks or drop in shelters. There's one in Calgary that focuses just on wasted food at the stampede and claimed to donate over 3 000lbs of food that would have otherwise gotten thrown out, just from the 2016 stampede alone.

Where it gets tricky with restaurants is AHS basically says food thats already been prepared has to be served pretty much immediately, or get thrown out. Once a dish is made it can't be served later. I had a AHS inspector make me throw out something 2 hours old that was prepared for a guest incorrectly, and I was saving to eat for my own lunch. The other issue is the amount of places that actually accept perishable food donations

Last edited by btimbit; 06-17-2017 at 12:55 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: