Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #101
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently 2nd in Defensemen scoring in the OHL

34GP, 7G, 22A, +9
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #102
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Currently 2nd in Defensemen scoring in the OHL

34GP, 7G, 22A, +9
I watched a bit of a Barrie game a while back and this guy is good. He just seems to have that ability to get to top speed faster than most and that really helps with the transition game.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #103
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sweden down a goal here with 2 minutes to go. Could have used some extra offense from the back end.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #104
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson has a pretty good 20-year old season

dellowhockey‏ @dellowhockey
Best age 20 D seasons by difference in GF%.on and GF%.off.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #105
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Andersson has a pretty good 20-year old season

dellowhockey‏ @dellowhockey
Best age 20 D seasons by difference in GF%.on and GF%.off.

You seem to be good at finding these stats.

Out of curiosity how does Kylington stack up vs. other 19 year old Dmen seasons in the AHL?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea how to interpret any of those numbers, but if it says that Andersson is better than Subban, I guess that's a good thing.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #107
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The chart is essentially showing how the team performs when Andersson is on the ice versus when he is off. When Andersson is one the ice, the team scores significantly more goals than it allows relative to when Andersson is off the ice.

Andersson has the 2nd best ratio for any 20 year old defenceman in the AHL since the 04/05 lockout.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #108
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The chart is essentially showing how the team performs when Andersson is on the ice versus when he is off. When Andersson is one the ice, the team scores significantly more goals than it allows relative to when Andersson is off the ice.

Andersson has the 2nd best ratio for any 20 year old defenceman in the AHL since the 04/05 lockout.
Now hopefully he takes his summer training regimen super seriously and gains some foot speed. If he can improve his skating over the next couple of seasons, the sky is the limit for this kid.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #109
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I have no idea how to interpret any of those numbers, but if it says that Andersson is better than Subban, I guess that's a good thing.
At even strength with Andersson was on the ice, the Heat scored 46 goals and allowed 25. At even strength with Andersson off the ice, the Heat scored 70 goals and allowed 71. Converted to percentages, the Heat scored 64.8% of the goals in the game while he was on the ice, but that dropped to 49.6% with him on the bench.
64.8% - 49.6% = +15.2%, the second-highest differential.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #110
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I still don't get this. Everyone is always so quick to discount +/-, but isn't this basically the same thing?
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePrince For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #111
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrince View Post
I still don't get this. Everyone is always so quick to discount +/-, but isn't this basically the same thing?
+/- doesn't show your performance relative to the rest of your team.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #112
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is - but makes up for the biggest criticism of +/- by comparing you to the performance of your team.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #113
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The image doesn't show possession or PDO numbers, so it isn't the end all, but it does show that Andersson obtained very good results on a mediocre team.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #114
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The image doesn't show possession or PDO numbers, so it isn't the end all, but it does show that Andersson obtained very good results on a mediocre team.
Also doesn't normalize for Quality of Competition or Zone starts - which could lead to some misrepresentation if you are getting sheltered minutes against weak competition.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #115
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As far as I know, Dellow removes empty net goals (you would be surprised how much of an impact this has) and instances were a team on the powerplay gets scored on, or a shorthanded team scores, all of which stupidly effect traditional +/-.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #116
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It is - but makes up for the biggest criticism of +/- by comparing you to the performance of your team.
I've been a little skeptical of using performance relative to team as an accurate measure of anything since Dellow and some other stats guys used it to push up Horcoff.

Horcoff was an above average player on a terrible team in those times, but I remember Dellow comparing Horcoff to Datsyuk and I just had to shake my head.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #117
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
As far as I know, Dellow removes empty net goals (you would be surprised how much of an impact this has) and instances were a team on the powerplay gets scored on, or a shorthanded team scores, all of which stupidly effect traditional +/-.
I'd say you deserve to have your + - effected if you can score on the PK or if you give up a goal on the PP.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #118
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Better for Andersson to be near the top of the list than the bottom, but there are still plenty of guys that have done nothing at the NHL level (Vernace, Kohn, Carlisle, etc) or very little.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #119
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I'd say you deserve to have your + - effected if you can score on the PK or if you give up a goal on the PP.
It makes a nice little moralizing story, but it obscures the function of the statistic (such as it is). Basically, awarding pluses and minuses for shorthanded goals punishes players when their coach chooses to use them on the power play (because they risk minuses at that time but can never get pluses), and rewards them when the coach chooses to use them on the penalty kill.

If you fail when you had no possible way of succeeding, or succeed when you had no possible way of failing, should that even count?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #120
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Andersson has been passing my eye test with flying colours for a while now. He's got his head up and beating like a 3 man press with a great pass to the middle to breakout.

He holds pucks in and finds guys for passes. He's starting to shoot more - the PP time will be huge. Defensively, he's been very good too, detailed and just competing hard.

So many good little plays all over the place.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post: