Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #161
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Baseball might be the worst offender right now. Anything remotely close, the managers are first reviewing it amongst themselves holding up the game. Then telling the umps to look at it. Essentially 2 reviews are being done.
"
It didn't slow things too much but volleyball was pretty bad in the Olympics - they'd use it as an extra timeout just to break the momentum, if they were relatively close to the end of a set.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #162
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Baseball might be the worst offender right now. Anything remotely close, the managers are first reviewing it amongst themselves holding up the game. Then telling the umps to look at it. Essentially 2 reviews are being done.

CFL, coaches are throwing challenge flags at everything. Give them 1 challenge, if they lose it they''re out of them.

In Cricket, in the longest format; test matches, each team gets 2 challenges per 80 overs. They have to use them properly, if they don't they're out of them and cannot review a wrongful decision the rest of the day.

If you want to use technology then get rid of umpires. Otherwise, I agree with Slava, let the games happen, have a 3rd eye in the sky and if an umpire blatantly messes up, tell them to fix it right away.

They should be trying to shorten games not extend them. But knowing these leagues, soon the challenges will be sponsored.

"Hamilton challenges the last play, the challenge is brought to by Canadian Tire."

Tennis is the absolute worst. 3 incorrect challenges per set is a lot (although it only takes a few seconds)

Baseball is not bad. Only 1 incorrect challenge allowed in the first 6 innings although the process takes too long. I think you have to challenger within 30 seconds. (and I miss manager/umpire arguments)

NFL they still don't know what a catch is so replay is pointless.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #163
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The simple solution to this is not allowing challenges on penalties. It's ridiculous, there's a reason the NFL doesn't allow it. This current practice of fishing for penalties on game deciding plays is KILLING the product, and it's been a problem for a couple seasons now. This needs to stop immediately, and if people at the CFL can't figure it out they need to be fired. The competition committee needs to get on this
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #164
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Tennis is the absolute worst. 3 incorrect challenges per set is a lot (although it only takes a few seconds)

Baseball is not bad. Only 1 incorrect challenge allowed in the first 6 innings although the process takes too long. I think you have to challenger within 30 seconds. (and I miss manager/umpire arguments)

NFL they still don't know what a catch is so replay is pointless.
Tennis is actually the best. You have about 5 seconds to challenge or the umpire will tell you to GTFO. The challenge itself takes about 5 more seconds.

Both MLB and the NHL could fix their review idiocy immediately by adopting the same rule: You have 5-10 seconds at most to inform a referee/linesman/umpire that you wish to challenge after a goal is scored (hockey) or a play completes (baseball). Because that eliminates the ability to delay the game while waiting for a replay, it would bring the rules to their intended purpose: to prevent egregious mistakes.

The CFL is even easier, at least in the context of illegal contact: If it happens away from the play, you can't challenge it. If you try anyway, you get a delay of game penalty.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #165
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the replay in tennis is perfect. Happens very quickly, result seems indisputable with little judgment and the process actually creates a small amount of drama since the technology is cool.

Replay for penalties, particularly of the judgment variety makes no sense.

How about in the NHL allow coaches to look for a penalty anytime before a goal up to the previous whistle. Oh looks like some interference or a hook there. Wave off the goal.

Its ridiculous.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #166
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There seems to be a small group of people that seem to think the Flames ownership is the devil or something because they know how to operate a business and not bleed red. All the team has done since the Flames took over is put on the best product in the CFL and it's been done under stable ownership where there's never a question if the bills are going to be paid or meddling in football decisions. I'm sorry but Stamps fans should be thankful their team is owned by

I mean honestly does anyone really miss the Gutsche, Ryckman, or Feterik years? Just goes to show you can never make everyone happy.
I am with you here. Wasn't Feterik the guy that made them play his son at QB?

Ryckman was an absolute crook. Just a bad guy. But I will say that he was the owner in the most exciting time I have ever experienced as a Stamps fan when they brought in Flutie. That was incredibly exciting football and it was a treat to be able to watch him play live.

The Flames run it like competent business people. That works for me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #167
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Feterik and the rest of that group (Fred Fetari) turned this organization into a joke, and treated some long-standing members of the organization like dirt.
EE is right. Anyone slamming the current owners doesn't remember that parade of clowns that we've seen come through in the past.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #168
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

F Troop was the worst and Kevin 'Skip' Feterik was a bad QB - We called him 'Skip' because that's what the majority of his passes ended up doing - skipping off the turf to Stamps receivers.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #169
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A question for anyone at the game. How did McGratton do against the cow?
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #170
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
A question for anyone at the game. How did McGratton do against the cow?
Crushed the cow. McGrattan got a head start but I was surprised at how fast he was
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #171
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Tennis is actually the best. You have about 5 seconds to challenge or the umpire will tell you to GTFO. The challenge itself takes about 5 more seconds.

The CFL is even easier, at least in the context of illegal contact: If it happens away from the play, you can't challenge it. If you try anyway, you get a delay of game penalty.
I just meant the worst at allowing too many challenges. And if you're named Nadal you can take more than 5 seconds and walk around the mark like you're lining up a putt.

In the CFL if you allow illegal contact challenges you have to allow it away from the play because it happened before the ball was thrown. The illegal contact could have forced the QB to throw left instead of right.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #172
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Crushed the cow. McGrattan got a head start but I was surprised at how fast he was
I was late to getting to the game, and missed the first quarter.
Is there video of this?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #173
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I was late to getting to the game, and missed the first quarter.
Is there video of this?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #174
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
CFL's dying a slow death, and will fall off a cliff at some point as there's no young fans attracted to the sport, but I'll need citation on the NHL.
They said that in the 80's and the 90's too. But could be right this time
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #175
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Geez surprised at his wheels there!
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #176
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Feterik and the rest of that group (Fred Fetari) turned this organization into a joke, and treated some long-standing members of the organization like dirt.
EE is right. Anyone slamming the current owners doesn't remember that parade of clowns that we've seen come through in the past.
I think at the end of the day we're talking about two slightly different things, or focusing on different things.

My point was that Flames ownership is essentially greedy, which is sort of a stupid thing to say about any business because the notion is inherent. Yet, there's something about the way Flames ownership runs an organization to which borderlines on contempt for fans. It speaks nothing to how they manage the product of such business, however.

I guess when it comes down to it, I just think these organizations could do more for the fans. They seem to be excellent community ambassadors, which is great. But the rewards or loyalty to long-term fans, the price increases annually- the cost of everything maximized 24/7- even in down market conditions in the city- the asking for fans and taxpayers to front the majority of a cost of a building to which they almost exclusively benefit... it all just rubs me the wrong way. Lastly, I have a lot of experience dealing with one of these companies these people run, and virtually every experience has been very, very negative. So likely I am biased which may be unfair. But if the Flames sports organizations are run with the same fingerprints, holy ####, business is ####ing cut-throat. I don't really see why it always needs to be.

You can have prices that seem over-the-top and focus exclusively on the business- sport be damned- yet still be / have much better management of the product, team and organization.

Flame away! I know I'm in the minority here, and I don't really care.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 01:41 AM   #177
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^^

The Flames actually impressed me in 2015. They went for the throat on recouping playoff revenue after years of not being there. They had a rejuvenated, playoff mad and starved city just bursting at the seems to be at a playoff game and yet somehow priced out the entire city to the tune of hundreds of empty seats against Anaheim.

I ain't even mad, that's a pretty incredible feat.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote