Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #101
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Blue Rodeo are a fantastic live band. I've seen them several times and never been disappointed.

There aren't many singers around as great as Jim Cuddy. That dude can SING.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #102
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Some fond, somewhat hazy memories from the 70s:

-Jethro Tull/The Eagles - The Corral 1972. A night to remember, my first concert. JT was on their "Thick as a Brick" tour and the Eagles were an unknown opening act supporting their first album.
Queen/Thin Lizzy-Jubilee Auditorium 1977. Notwithstanding how stoned I was, I will never forget them opening with “Tie your mother down”. To this day, I have not experienced such an explosive opening to a rock concert.
Foghat-Jubilee Auditorium 1974. Back in the day, one of my favourite bands.
Manfred Mann's Earth Band/Wishbone Ash/Kiss-Foothills Arena(now Father Bauer Arena) 1974
This concert was only notable for the opening act who nobody had ever heard of before. Although we there to see Wishbone Ash, not surprisingly, we were all blown away by Kiss. I also remember my buddy getting hit in the head by Peter Criss’ drum stick.
Bachman Turner Overdrive/ Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band-McMahon Stadium-1975. Although BTO as the headliner was great. Bob Seger, whom I had never heard of, was in a different league altogether.
The Eagles- McMahon Stadium-1978 It was one of those rare great Calgary summer evenings with the band entertaining most of the NW quadrant of the city. This concert's decibel level was unfortunately the death nail for summer concerts at McMahon.
Supertramp-The Corral-1977 I believe they were on their "Even in the Quietest Moments" Tour and the show took place during that year's Stampede. Talk about going from the sublime to the riduculous.
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hart50 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #103
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Blue Rodeo are a fantastic live band. I've seen them several times and never been disappointed.

You have inspired me to learn Try.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/print...4/?transpose=0
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #104
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Matthew Good @ Coke Stage (Avalanche Tour 2003) - one of my first concerts and I can still remember it really clearly. Burned a stuffed pigs on stage, told us he made a $1000 donation to the Mustard Seed since he couldn't swear on stage without being fined and figured the money would do more good there then the Stampede, jumped into the crowd to crowd surf during the solo of "Under The Influence" and put on a hell of a memorable show. Under the Influence to date has only been played twice, here and Toronto. Still the only time in 15 Matt Good shows I've heard Generation X Wing.

2. Alexisonfire @ Republik (2010) - X929 Private Show. Stood right at the stage in front of the guitarist Wade and took his guitar to the head during Accept Crime. The put on an awesome show although it was only 4 songs and the band was so awesome about talking to the crowd (except Dallas) and giving autographs and just being there to meet the people.

3. Rise Against/Rancid/Riverboat Gamblers @ Corral (2009) - Huge fan of Rise Against and the show featured an unbelievable setlist including Dancing for Rain with a piano, turned into a huge Rancid fan after seeing them play live. Riverboat Gamblers was a favorite of mine but disappointing live as the sound was horrible during their set.

4. Matthew Good @ MacHall (Put Out Your Lights Tour 2004) - He played Man From Harold Wood/Rat Who Would Be King, Advertising On Police Cars and Prime Time Deliverance all in one show. Could have died happily. Openers were Limblifter who were also pretty solid.

5. Bad Religion @ SonicBoom (2010) - It's Bad Religion. They have been touring since before I was born and outdid every single band on that stage the whole day.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #105
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
turned into a huge Rancid fan after seeing them play live.

how could you not?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #106
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Cult - Saddledome - Grade 11 at the time. Friends had floor seats and passed us their tickets over the boards in a drink so we got in to join them on the floor. I was a HUGE fan back then and this was like my Holy Grail moment at the time. Remember it being a great show made that much better by sneaking on to the floor.

Eek-A-Mouse - Lake Tahoe - Bit hazy on dates, probably around 97? A buddy was graduating from Sierra Nevada College and they brought in Eek-A-Mouse for their grad party. Super small event, great people, and great music.

DRI - The Republic - 18th birthday made this one hit the list. Free drinks, ear shattering music, and excellent mosh pit.

Blue Rodeo - The Gateway @ SAIT - What more needs to be said about Blue Rodeo? Fantastic show and the venue was intimate and awesome.

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell Tour - Being a huge Pink Floyd fan through school, I never thought I'd get to see them live. Loved the show. My buddy I went with also came with me to go see Roger Waters on Monday in Edmonton. That, also, was a great show. I don't think I've ever seen an arena hot boxed before. Or maybe it was just the section I was in.

Honourable mention for the sheer hilarity of it - Spirit of the West - Bermuda Shorts Day at UofC - Music was great and getting kicked out for crowd surfing was both hilarious and
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #107
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_amonte View Post
5. Edgefest 98 at Race City July 98, first big show, Tea Party, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Creed, Sloan, Matthew Good Band, among others, hot as hell and awesome show all day!!!
Definitely a great show!

Also forgot Another Roadside Attraction in '95. That was a great show as well. My favs were Blues Traveler and The Hip.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #108
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. David Gilmour - April 10th 2006 - Massey Hall 4th row or center
David's playing was top shelf for this show, where he seemed to fight it the night before, he was in a zine of this night. Echoes and High Hopes were the two songs that stuck with me the most. Also got a polite hello from Polly before the show started which was a very nice feeling

2. Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - July10th 1990 Copps Coliseum nosebleeds
A show that brings me to tears just remembering, SRV died in a helicopter accident 5 weeks later. His rendition of Leave My Girl Alone was nothing less of amazing. Its so sad, because i took a lot of what was around me for granted, this is one show i wish I could have back

3. Pink Floyd
- July 5th 1994 - CNE Stadium nosebleeds, very back
One of the all time great show I've seen. I had seats at the very back but they ended up being a treat. Getting to hear Money echo around the CNE grandstand and the power of visual and sound had on the crowd during Us and Them was a truly remarkable experience.

4. David Gilmour - April 9th 2006 - Massey Hall 2 Row left center
The atmosphere in the building was incredible and I couldn't believe how much smoke could be used for a single show as they ended up setting off the smoke detectors. David was a true professional, the band wasn't "on" but to see how much he worked and cared about being perfect was a life lesson>

5. Eric Clapton - July 7th 2004 - Air Canada Center 2nd row center
This was a great show for me because Billy Preston (5th Beetle) was in EC's band and his playing brought some much life to the show. He was a beautiful man and this show was the only time I ven had the chance to see Billy play. Eric was bang on, as the show consisted of a lot of the Robert Johnson tunes and Robert Randolph opened and also did the encore with EC
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #109
VO #23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

+1. I saw them during the Vancouver Olympics at a free concert and they were outstanding.
VO #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #110
Knut

Exp:

Hanna. You saw Mutha F***ing Stevie Ray Vaughn. Man.... jealous.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #111
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most memorable concerts in the order they come to me:

GWAR @ Commodore Ballroom
Couldn't name a single song of theirs, but even the line to get in before the show was worth seeing and the show itself was amazing. I would go to see a GWAR show again in a heartbeat.

Frank Black & the Catholics @ Commodore Ballroom
Memorable for how good he sounded and how he just played and played and played at an incredible tempo without breaks between songs. He went on for ages just belting it out and pouring with sweat. Finally, when he was done he took a short break to take in the applause and then quickly came back out for another twenty minutes of amazing music.

Metallica @ GM Place
They were my favourite band in jr. high. Although I didn't listen to them much anymore in university I got floor tickets and spent the entire concert from when Godsmack opened to the end just two or three people back of the stage in a very intense mosh pit. Thank god I was playing rugby and in good shape back then. At the end of the show when Metallica was throwing out their pics and drum sticks to the crowd I had a short moment of connection with Hettfield as he was telling the crowd how awesome we all were just a few yards from me and when I yelled back how awesome he was he for some reason saw me and repeated as we had eye contact. Then he laughed and moved on. It was pretty cool for the little metal head teenager in me from back in jr. high.

Tea Party @ Race City Speedway
Possibly my first festival concert as a young teenager. I just remember being back from the stage taking it all in as they were closing out the headlining show with the sun setting and the sky orange as a thunder storm rolled in across the prairies in the background all big purple clouds and flashes of lightening. I think that did a lot for my love of music and festival shows. A great memory.

Wesley Willis @ a community center in downtown Calgary I can't remember the name of
Just loved Wesley Willis and thought it was cool to see him, though at the same time seeing how much a novelty he was to some people who just thought it was cool to bump heads with a big weirdo has always given me a touch of sadness.

The Reverend Horton Heat @ Commodore Ballroom
My first ever Rockabilly show and he put on an awesome performance. Still remember Big Red Rocket of Love very clearly.

Tool @ GM Place
They were musically excellent and the stage performance was great, making up for how far away I was.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #112
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Hanna. You saw Mutha F***ing Stevie Ray Vaughn. Man.... jealous.
I saw him at the Jube - Couldn't Stand The Weather tour. He played behind his head. Later he had the guitar face down on the stage, and played notes by rocking the guitar against the floor.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #113
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Another plus for Blue Rodeo...remember seeing them at the Jack Singer, Bobby?? The keyboard guy got sick in the middle of the show and left. Cuddy sat in at the keyboard for him for the rest of the set...was a GREAT show.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #114
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Top Five:

5 GWAR - multiple times, I will keep going as long as I can.
4 Metallica '89. I still have two concert shirts. Early metal in a massive venue. Really cool to watch a band get so big when everyone else seemed to hate them.
3 Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeath and Alice in Chains - Vancouver around 1990. Amazing lineup and a great chance to see early Alice in Chains. Was this the Monsters of Rock festival? I forget.
2 Alice in Chains in Seattle during the heyday of the grunge scene. Amazing thing to watch and being in Seattle at the time was pretty cool. Layne sat at the front of the stage and sang, and if you know this band he can almost bring tears to your eyes.
1 Tool - mid 90's. There will never be another singer like MJK ever. I think I saw them twice during the period where he actually was part of the show. Even if you hate metal, if he ever goes back to the front of the stage you have to see it. He is my all time favorite singer even though he is not the best singer at all. I will still go see them, but wish they still kept MJK at the front.

I have seen many smaller metal bands in very small venues, those are pretty much the only concerts I will go to now.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post: