Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:
Default Question re. Bell HD-PVR (Model 9241)

I am looking to buy one (cheap) and came across one for sale that mentions "Smart Card not included"

What is the Smart Card? Do I need one? Can I buy one elsewhere? How much?

Thanks CP.

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Before you buy, I would check the SN of the unit with Bell (make sure it's not stolen or a rental unit). After that, you should be able to get the smart card from Bell, though you will most likely have to pay for it.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yes, Bell will likely charge you in the neighbourhood of $100 for another smart card.

Plus as Frankster mentioned, if there is a balance owing on that receiver you will be on the hook before it can be activated. That would also include any PPVs that the receiver is waiting to send up to Bell. A person could order every PPV under the sun, and then unplug the phone line. At some piont the reciever would stop working until it is allowed to call home again.

I do not see the risk/reward working out from buying a used receiver; unless it's somebody you know.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

9241's have the smart card built in. You do not need a smart card.

For receivers that do have smart cards, Bell owns the cards so some resell sites do not allow selling the receiver advertised with a smart card as Bell makes a stink about it so they have to advertise that the receiver doesn't come with a smart card even though it does. I'm not saying all Bell recievers that are advertised are actually going to have smart cards. I don't follow reselling much but there may be code words to tell if the receiver has a smart card or not. Maybe e-mail the seller?

If you can follow my twisted post, it's only twisted because we are dealing with BEll, who are very twisted.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
dcbc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Question for TV techies:

We have just re-ordered Bell after a time in a condo that did not face the right direction for satellite.

I was very disappointed to find out that Bell no longer offers the dual tuner PVR that can run its second feed on a second tv.

After some research, I found out that we had the 9242 when we were with Bell before, but we were renting and we returned the unit to Bell.

So, that leaves us stuck with the 9241. We have a basic small SD LCD tv that we use in the bedroom that was perfect for the 2nd feed SD output on the 9242.

My question is, is there a way to manipulate the 9241 to run a second tv, either with the same feed that plays on tv1 or with the completely separate feed from the dual tuner?
Take your objective opinion and get out of here. This is Calgarypuck, where we act like 12 year olds towards rival teams, and act like their the crappiest piece of crap hockey team ever, that deserves no credit, even after they advance further than our own team.
dcbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not absolutely positive about the 9241, but every other Bell receiver I've had has been able to output through other other sources at the same time. You will get the same programing though and I don't know if the 9241 has a UHF remote (able to pass through walls). Not having a UHF remote can be worked around though.

Types of outputs would be HDMI, component, RCA composite, co-ax etc. I don't believe the 9241 has a co-ax out so your best bet would be to connect the farthest HDTV by HDMI and the closer HDTV by component. Most people don't see any difference in picture quality when using component versus HDMI. The reason I suggest using HDMI for the farther TV is that it is a one cable solution for video and audio. Making a long run for component would require five cables and for RCA composite would require three cables.

My only other suggestion would be to buy the two room solution which gives you a 9241 and a 6131 receiver. The 6131 is also HD and can be mated with a hard drive to make it a PVR. This can be helpful in some marriages.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did some research and it appears the 9241 does have a UHF remote. Also it doesn't have a co-ax out but it seems you can get a composite to Co-ax converter for under $20 if SD is okay for your second TV.

Last edited by Vulcan; 08-04-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Just curious why you bumped a very old thread?

Anyway- if you can wait; apparently Bell will be releasing an 9252 sometime soon. This receiver will have the 2nd TV out that you want.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^It seems common on this board to chastise the poster of a new thread on a subject that has been previously covered. People start posting links to the previous thread and seem offended.

Photon scolded me for using bold type telling me I wasn't a special flower or something ? LoL

Hey, we all don't know the proper way to post.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
dcbc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I did some research and it appears the 9241 does have a UHF remote. Also it doesn't have a co-ax out but it seems you can get a composite to Co-ax converter for under $20 if SD is okay for your second TV.
Yes, SD is fine for the 2nd TV. Composite to coax sounds like a decent plan, I just wonder if there are enough composite audio outputs to get audio to the second tv as well as get audio to the home theatre for tv1.
Take your objective opinion and get out of here. This is Calgarypuck, where we act like 12 year olds towards rival teams, and act like their the crappiest piece of crap hockey team ever, that deserves no credit, even after they advance further than our own team.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
dcbc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Just curious why you bumped a very old thread?

Anyway- if you can wait; apparently Bell will be releasing an 9252 sometime soon. This receiver will have the 2nd TV out that you want.

I was under the impression that it was bad form to start a new thread when an existing thread of similar context existed...

Anyway, 9252 sounds very enticing. Any ideas on ETA? I’m sure I can put up with Shaw for a few months.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Vulcan had a good thread on the 9252:
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=90067

As for the creation of threads; we are trying to get people less afraid of creating a "fata"- especially in the Off Topic boards. In this case, I saw the original post and started to work on a response- only to find I had already responded. Others may read the OP and the answers after and miss your question. (I'll keep that point brief as I don't want to derail this thread.)
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
Yes, SD is fine for the 2nd TV. Composite to coax sounds like a decent plan, I just wonder if there are enough composite audio outputs to get audio to the second tv as well as get audio to the home theatre for tv1.
You can get RCA composite audio splitters, if you need them. Another option would be to connect your home theatre with HDMI or toslink if your audio receiver accepts one of these connections.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was under the impression that it was bad form to start a new thread when an existing thread of similar context existed...

Anyway, 9252 sounds very enticing. Any ideas on ETA? I’m sure I can put up with Shaw for a few months.
There hasn't been any updated news on the 9252 so myself, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 9252. Hey but who knows with Bell.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
dcbc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

Any idea where I can find said composite to Co-ax converter around Calgary?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=123529&page=5

Quote:
The Bell Rep in charge of the upgrades told me that they have around 100 to install and are looking for feedback before the release date. The receiver will not be released this year, all that is new for this year is the DPP rollout.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any idea where I can find said composite to Co-ax converter around Calgary?
No, but an old VCR might work. Maybe you could try The Source.

Here's a wireless solution that has gotten not terrible reviews.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Last edited by Vulcan; 08-05-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

One more thing I just thought of with the 9241. Not sure if it's the same as my 9242- but if I have my 9242 in "Single Mode" and output to a 4:3 TV, the picture is always squished; making people tall and skinny. For the longest time I had it on "Dual Mode" for that very reason.

Funny, my old 6100 has the ability to output on the SD side (composite) one way, and HD (HDMI) another.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides Bell, Telus now runs a satellite service piggybacked on Bell. It's exactly the same except for a different coloured guide. Can't speak about prices and service though.

Here Telus has the 9241 for $300. I've heard that Bell will activate Telus receivers, but no guarantee and you'd probably lose your free install.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...cf650b1f36en02

Memory Express has the Bell on sale for $449.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX29286(ME).aspx