Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Yost: Giordano/Hamilton Best Defense Pair in Hockey

http://www.tsn.ca/hamilton-and-giord...ockey-1.704373

Quote:
There is significant value in having a pairing that can absolutely obliterate the competition for 20 minutes or so a night at 5-on-5. The Flames have that in spades with the Hamilton/Giordano pairing. Add in the very talented T.J. Brodie picking up minutes down the lineup and you have a blueline that’s getting the job done.
Quote:
I’m struggling to remember a pairing that has been this decisively dominant over the course of a full season. There have been a few great ones in the modern era – Erik Karlsson and Marc Methot in Ottawa; Victor Hedman and Anton Stralman in Tampa; and Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Justin Braun in San Jose come to mind as a few examples – but I’d argue that 2016-17 Hamilton/Giordano has set a new benchmark for greatness.
But I thought Spector said Hamilton was a huge disappointment?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/w...ugie-hamilton/
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Supports this image I saw a few weeks ago. It's not the best formatting but you can see how well Gio & Hamilton are ranked comparatively:

atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

gonna be some Butthurt about this
Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=160307

Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yost put up an episode of a new podcast with Tyler Dellow the other day
https://soundcloud.com/thesecondpodc...h-tyler-dellow

They spend most of it raving about everything to do with Calgary. From the D, to their depth, to the 3M line as a whole. Tyler says having the 3M trio is the equivalent of having a true superstar with how truly dominant they are.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I listened to a podcast yesterday where Yost and Dellow spent 10+ minutes praising the Flames. Different times. Because of the Hartley era and "Russellmania" Flames fans were predisposed to ignoring and discrediting anything these guys said.

It's a good time to be a Flames fan, this looks to be a playoff team and contender for the foreseeable future. The caveat being that Treliving just has to stay out of his own way with the July 1st contracts.

Last edited by saillias; 03-23-2017 at 12:35 PM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I first saw the headline, I thought: "Isn't this a old article from earlier in the season?". But it turns out Gio/Hamilton has been consistently the best this whole year; and last season, it was Gio/Brodie getting the praises. Too bad there's very little talk about Norris consideration for Gio.

I would love to see that chart with the Brodie/Stone pairing once they are together for enough minutes to make the minimum cut-off. In the current chart, the other Flames pairing in the "dull" quadrant is Brodie/Wideman.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Dull' is not necessarily bad though. Just means neither shots/chances for or against.
When Burns/Martin are on both teams are getting non stop shots, but their differential is +4 per game compared to Gio/Hamilton at +18. The Flames pair generates almost as much, but gives up a lot less.
Good stuff though. Really like these visual charts. I have zero interest in looking at a spreadsheet.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Spector continues to astound me with his overall being terrible.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So that chart right there is a big reason why a divisional rival can get Stone for a 3rd round pick from an analytical leaning GM?

Goes to show that the Flames have three really good defensemen when Gio/Brodie were one of the strongest pairings previously. When you put two of them together you get a top D pairing, while the third guy has to carry his partner.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the 3M line really helps this pairing be as good as their underlying numbers show. They dominate along the boards and cycle so well creating chance after chance. Dougie and Gio are incredible at pinching or keeping the puck in at the blueline. This group is truly a 5 man unit and hopefully they stay together for years upon years as their chemistry is seemingly unmatched.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

But I thought the Flames instantly regretted the Giordano contract this summer when they signed him?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know Gio's offense isn't what it was under the last couple years where the d was more free flying,

but man has he been beastly down the stretch. His all around game makes him one of the best in the league.

Hamilton has been great as well. He's been much more confident since being paired with Gio, and while he's not exactly mean, he's certainly playing more like a guy who's aware of how big he is. That's in addition to his offense growing.

One of the best pairs in the league without a doubt.

And the added bonus of Stone fitting in so well has really solidified the second pairing and Brodie has been much improved. That really bodes well going into the playoffs if everyone stays healthy.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #14
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They are without a doubt one of the best pairings in hockey. Credit to Gio for getting his act together after his early season lull along with Hamilton. Having Brodie and Stone at 3 and 4 is a big plus as well.

This team looks set on defence for years to come if we hopefully re-sign Stone. Only thing we are missing I believe is an upgrade over Bartkowski. He's been ok but would be nice to get someone more reliable and that'll likely have to come from within the system.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #15
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I loved the Hamilton deal from the start and it hasnt changed. Everyone seems to forget that this guy is still just 23 years old! Many great years ahead for this player IMO.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i know it's pumping our tires, so I'm clearly biased towards it....

but it's nice to see an article with stats and figures and other league comparables, as evidence to justify the opinion, rather than just fan-boy pom-pom waving or wild speculation.

(ie. a well written article)
Benched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...I’m struggling to remember a pairing that has been this decisively dominant over the course of a full season. There have been a few great ones in the modern era...
I do love Gio/Dougie pairing, don't get me wrong. I just guess "modern era" should have been defined better for such a grand statement... Pronger/Niedermeyer, Weber/Suter were much more dominant pairings.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #18
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I do love Gio/Dougie pairing, don't get me wrong. I just guess "modern era" should have been defined better for such a grand statement... Pronger/Niedermeyer, Weber/Suter were much more dominant pairings.
Would love to see how the fancy stats compare for Gio/Dougie vs the pairs you mentioned. Would be interesting to see how far off they are.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #19
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Would love to see how the fancy stats compare for Gio/Dougie vs the pairs you mentioned. Would be interesting to see how far off they are.
This would be a very difficult stats compilation to assemble. 1st defensive pairings play the most minutes on each team, so that stat is not meaningful in the comparison. Then, you'd need to compile all of the combined goals for/against, points, hits, broken offensive attempts, turnovers, blocked shots, fights (?) etc. line-by-line. Tough.

This is more of a perceptional evaluation. Those two pairings really dominated the league defense; indisputably.

I often wonder, how superb could a Regehr/Phaneuf pairing be if those two guys liked playing with each other a bit more. Or Bouwmeester/Regehr... So much unrealized potential there for us, unfortunately. I'm dwelling on the past, no need.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #20
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I think the 3M line really helps this pairing be as good as their underlying numbers show. They dominate along the boards and cycle so well creating chance after chance. Dougie and Gio are incredible at pinching or keeping the puck in at the blueline. This group is truly a 5 man unit and hopefully they stay together for years upon years as their chemistry is seemingly unmatched.
Someone, Dimitri Filopovic I think, said earlier in the season that he thinks that if the Flames could play 3M + Gio/Dougie for 60 minutes a game they'd never lose.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote