Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #81
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

This is really a stupid road trip. What a dumb schedule.

3 games in 5 days, no back to backs. Doesn't seem that bad to me, how is it a stupid road trip?
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #82
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
They swapped Bennett and and Stajan before Ferland and Tkachuk were out, that's more what I was referring to. Even now, I would put that 4th line back together.
Bennett needs more minutes to develop. Time on the powerplay would also help.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #83
300 MPH Blues
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just like Gully said, Johnson got his last start thrown at him the morning of because of Elliott's illness. His last game being sub-par, and time to stick to his usual mental routine, both point towards a solid start.
300 MPH Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #84
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I was suggesting that your notion that "Johnson has not been very good for quite a while now" is false. Johnson has played a couple of excellent games quite recently. I don't think I am cutting him slack so much as I am expecting him to perform better than his last start.

This is the reason to play Johnson tonight:

Moreover, I would also argue that it is important for the team to continue to be successful they need to also persist in the same mindset that has gotten them this far. The Flames need to play all their games the same way, and they need to not allow the results of their last game to affect their approach to the next one. Playing Johnson on occasion helps with instilling the notion that it doesn't matter who is in goal—regardless of who it is the Flames should play every game like they are going to win.
I don't see how there is any connection between playing a backup in a game like this and the team having some sort of consistent approach or advantage because of it. All the top teams in the league run with a clear-cut, number one goalie exclusively. One of the biggest reasons we're even discussing playoff hockey in Calgary is because of Brian Elliott.

Since January 1st:

Elliott: 16-5-0-2: .924 : 2.13
Johnson: 5-6-0-0: .894: 3.09

I know who I would start.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-23-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #85
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Except for 50 some odd games this year, Johnson played every bit as good as Elliott, if not better.

This is not a Kipprusoff / Sauve situation.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #86
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I don't see how there is any connection between playing a backup in a game like this and the team having some sort of consistent approach or advantage because of it. All the top teams in the league run with a clear-cut, number one goalie exclusively. One of the biggest reasons we're even discussing playoff hockey in Calgary is because of Brian Elliott.

You wan the team to play consistently, you go with the most consistent goalie you have unless there's a reason to rest him. Playing Phil Suave instead of Kipprusoff didn't instill any added confidence in the Flames years ago and it certainly isn't going to be different with Johnson.
You seem to forget that one of the biggest reasons also that this team is discussing playoff hockey is Chad Johnson. He has been as consistent as Elliott has for pretty much the whole year. Last game he had an off game, big deal, every goalie has them. This team will need both goalies playing well to have any chance once they get into the dance. You just can't run Elliott into the ground in the final stretch and there is no reason to with a playoff spot all but wrapped up. This is a lesson the Oilers are going to learn the hard way when they start their playoff series with a burnt out goalie.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #87
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
3 games in 5 days, no back to backs. Doesn't seem that bad to me, how is it a stupid road trip?
Both flights are 1 hour 5 minutes
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #88
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Not a fan of the lines lately. Honestly, the 4th of Bouma-Stajan-Chiasson was playing so well that I don't know why they would break it up. I understand trying to jump start others but not at the expense of a line playing well. Try Lazar with Backlund and Bennett back with Versteeg and Brouwer, less disruptive of all the line combos.

Hope Johnson can put up a strong start tonight and build some confidence in the group.
How is putting Lazar in place of Tkachuk not incredibly disruptive? Putting an unproven, rusty player who's had a bad season on our best line is about the most disruptive thing you could do. Bennett in for Tkachuk is our best option to keep that line stable and productive.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #89
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

To get everyone set for tonight's game the Flames YouTube channel uploaded this today:

Alrighty then.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #90
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^

...the hell?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Since January 1st:

Like Pittsburgh.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #92
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see how there is any connection between playing a backup in a game like this and the team having some sort of consistent approach or advantage because of it.
I thought I made this clear: "consistency" is about playing the same way regardless of who happens to be in or out of the lineup. The goal for the Flames is to play the same way whether Elliott or Johnson is playing behind them.

Quote:
All the top teams in the league run with a clear-cut, number one goalie exclusively...
You would be wrong about that. All top teams have TWO goalies that they can play in any given situation:

· Chicago has Crawford and Darling who has started three games in March.
· Washington has Holtby and Grubaur who has started three games since 19 Feb.
· Columbus has Bobrovsky and Korpisalo who has started four games in March.
· Pittsburgh has Murray and Fleury who has started four games in March.
· SJ has Jones and Dell who has started five games in March.

Edmonton is going nowhere because their #1 goalie will have started +72 games by the time the playoffs begin, and Minnesota is likely to falter because their backup struggles to get in to games.

Quote:
Since January 1st:

The Flames coaching staff has chosen to start the other guy, and they have guided this team to a 16-4-1 record since the ASG. I know who I would prefer making this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-23-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #93
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Edmonton is going nowhere because their #1 goalie will have started +72 games by the time the playoffs begin, and Minnesota is likely to falter because their backup struggles to get in to games.
Is there data to support goalies numbers dropping after playing a set number of games?
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #94
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Is there data to support goalies numbers dropping after playing a set number of games?
The Oilers guy Remenda cleared up all the worries about Talbot.

Talbot can play every game because he takes care of his body. I guess other goalies don't.

Also Talbot is better when he plays all the time. I guess we will see.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #95
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trouble with such data is that the goalies who play a disproportionate amount of games are also usually really good.

It's also hard to figure out what's meaningful and what's coincidence. For example:

In 10 of the last 12 years, the Stanley Cup-winning goalie headed into the playoffs having played less than 60 regular season games. During that span, only two goalies — Jonathan Quick and Martin Jones — have reached the final having played in 65 or more games.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/24...-for-nhl-teams
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #96
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
2014/15 was the last time a goalie played over 70 and there was three of them. Holtby played 72 and had his best post season with a .944 sv and a 1.71 GAA. Quick played 72 but the kings missed the playoffs. Rask played 70 and they also missed the playoffs.

Lack of data because it doesn't often happen. Only three cases since the last lockout that a goalie played more than 70 games and two of them didn't even make the playoffs
Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #97
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I would say that the point cited in GioforPM's post above provides good evidence which shows that teams are more inclined to carefully manage the workload of their starting goalies. It was more true a decade ago and before then that goalies could play multiple rounds in the playoffs on top of a heavy workload during the regular season, but the fact that it happens very rarely now would suggest that the mindset has dramatically changed.

I crunched some numbers and included them in a post about a month ago, and they basically boil down to this: The most successful playoff goalies tend to play no more than 80–85 games in a season. Ideally, it seems that most teams prefer to limit their starters to under 65 games, and I would argue that this is by careful design with a view to ensuring that they continue to play to the same level in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #98
YYCFire
Draft Pick

Speaking of goalies playing a lot of games. Kipper played 7 seasons with 70+ games in a row. Thats nuts, wow I'd forgotten how good he was.
YYCFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #99
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad Johnson's in. Lets not run Elliott into the playoffs on fumes. Sure he had a poor outing last time. But without him we aren't in the playoffs, period. He's had time to prepare this time instead of being tossed in rusty before the big run.

More then anything, I hope he has a huge game so that Polak can be eating a full plate of crow poop in the PGT.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #100
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
The Oilers guy Remenda cleared up all the worries about Talbot.

Talbot can play every game because he takes care of his body. I guess other goalies don't.

Also Talbot is better when he plays all the time. I guess we will see.
You forgot to mention Talbot uses sleep as a weapon. He is the Jason Bourne of goalies.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames , mustard