Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Caps 4 Flames 2

Game Takes:
http://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/03/g...ls-4-flames-2/

Bennett shows possession with new linemates.
A new version of Monahan?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great insight into Monahan. I was feeling there was something about him lately more than just riding Johnny's streak, and I think you nailed it. He's more aggressive and hardnosed into the dirty areas and seems to be opening up his own room now which only helps him getting fed the puck even more.

Can't even be angry at the loss. You can't win them all and in the past couple weeks the Flames have played toe to toe with the Pens and the Caps and not looked out of place. I don't want to say they are in that league of team yet, but I don't think calling this team a bubble team is correct anymore, they feel like they've made that jump to a bona-fide playoff team. Using Burke's analogy feels like they've stopped walking and broken into a jog.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed with everything, although its clear that the M&M line certainly holds play more than any other and whoever they plug on the other side with Frolik and Backlund benefits from their abilities both defensively and offensively.
Lazar looked "out of place" all night.

Last edited by Cheese; 03-22-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Great insight into Monahan. I was feeling there was something about him lately more than just riding Johnny's streak, and I think you nailed it. He's more aggressive and hardnosed into the dirty areas and seems to be opening up his own room now which only helps him getting fed the puck even more.

Can't even be angry at the loss. You can't win them all and in the past couple weeks the Flames have played toe to toe with the Pens and the Caps and not looked out of place. I don't want to say they are in that league of team yet, but I don't think calling this team a bubble team is correct anymore, they feel like they've made that jump to a bona-fide playoff team. Using Burke's analogy feels like they've stopped walking and broken into a jog.
If Tkachuk & Ferland were in the lineup I wonder if that might have put us over the top against Washington last night.

A) There would have been zero chance of Brouwer going near the top line because Ferland would have been there. I actually didn't mind Chiasson's game but inexplicably he was replaced by the veteran, who looked very poor (other than his goal).

B) Tkachuk tends to make one game-breaking play every game which leads to vital goals for the 3M line. I thought Bennett played really well, but we missed the rookie.

Random observation: Johnny Gaudreau looked genuinely heartbroken after his giveaway at centre ice turned into a Caps goal. He was showboating a bit – though he nearly pulled it off – and got stung. Glad to see it affected him but I hope it doesn't discourage him from doing his thing as usual.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote