Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #81
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Where was this fight against the Flames after the Tkachuk elbow?

It would have been kinda cool seeing Iggy fight a Flame! Maybe Gio?
I was hoping for an Iginla vs Bartkowski fight the other night.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #82
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Iginla is a better overall player than Lanny was, even at age 40. Bringing him in at the TDL would not have been a detriment to the club at all. The Lanny effect would have been real with him in the lineup in a limited role.

Annnnd it's quite obvious Iggy is not afraid to drop the mitts to try to get the team going. A bonus.

I see no issue with bringing in a power play trigger man who can drop the mitts. It's basically what the Caps did with Shattenkirk. He plays 3rd pairing, but is on the number 1 PP unit.
I just don't think he fits on the team any more. Not on the power play, and certainly not on any of the 4 lines.

Everyone hates Brouwer these days, yet he produces way more. And he will fight as well, maybe not as eagerly. But there's almost no fighting in the POs any more anyway.

I don't know that Lanny at 35 was worse than Iginla at 39.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #83
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer produces WAY less than Iggy would on the PP.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #84
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Brouwer produces WAY less than Iggy would on the PP.
Except he hasn't.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #85
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer 9 points in 167:04 of PP time
Iginla 10 points in 156:21 of PP time

The difference is Iginla was a major component on his PP where for Brouwer he isn't . For Brouwer he is probably 3rd or 4th option if that.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #86
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think you could also put an asterisk in there for his time in Colorado on a team that really sucked, versus Brouwer playing on a team that only partially sucked this season. Calgary has 63 more goals than Colorado this year, not sure how many are on the PP but I would expect that they have produced a lot more.

Iginla is still a great PP fixture and he has a few more years of that. I think he would have a few suitors next year at a 1 mill or less contract.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #87
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post

This is my favourite Iginla fight though, hands done. Iginla vs Guerin in 2002.

So good, thank you for posting. Was the defending Rocket Richard Trophy winner for that fight as well.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #88
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I still remember the interview with Guerin after in the dressing room, had a nice shiner and gave Iginla a lot of props.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #89
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy always used body shots too, will never forget the Ohlund fight in 04... such a skilled fighter
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #90
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Phaneuf - Iginla fight would have been awesome - unless one just wanted to see Phaneuf get pummeled, in which case just carry on.

I still think Iginla could have had a nice fit in Calgary on the 4th line and pushing Brouwer out of the PP (though Ferland should have pushed Brouwer off the PP).

The problem comes when the lineup is healthy, who do you remove? Chiasson is playing well, without question. Bouma? I think Bouma has been playing his role well, even with zero offence. I would have been happy to take Iginla back at the trade deadline though. I became of the opinion that he was a better player than what he was showing in the Avs - I think a lot of those players are better than what they are showing over there. He is doing much better on the Kings, and he is doing what he can to will them into the playoffs.

The unfortunate thing for Iginla is that the Kings are actually a really big and heavy team, and Iginla at 39 simply can't carry such a heavy team on his back.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think you could also put an asterisk in there for his time in Colorado on a team that really sucked, versus Brouwer playing on a team that only partially sucked this season. Calgary has 63 more goals than Colorado this year, not sure how many are on the PP but I would expect that they have produced a lot more.

Iginla is still a great PP fixture and he has a few more years of that. I think he would have a few suitors next year at a 1 mill or less contract.
Jarome Iginla will not take a contract that small IMO.