Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will the Tkachuk hearing result be?
No discipine 57 14.29%
Fine 175 43.86%
1 game 123 30.83%
2 games 37 9.27%
3 games 3 0.75%
4 or more games 4 1.00%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #41
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
For the record, I don't mind Tkachuk playing a bit dirty the way he's been most of the season. It's part of what makes him so effective.

What I'm worried about is that it might get worse. Most dirty players get dirtier with experience. I never want to see a Matt Cooke -like player in a Flames jersey.
here's where coaching staff can earn their pay and work with him on learning where to draw the line.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #42
slybomb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
It was a reverse hit attempt that he mistimed, guaranteed he'll be earning himself a little space from D men around the league.
This is how I feel it went down as well. He tried to create some separating and his elbow got up a bit. I think we was trying to hit him in the chest. It should have been 2 minutes for elbowing. No way this should be a suspension...although it is Doughty
Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #43
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the guy who slashed Gaudreau on the hand causing him to miss a couple of weeks get suspended? If that player didn't get suspended I can't see how they could suspend Tkachuk especially since Doughty wasn't hurt.

Last edited by Fire; 03-20-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since there has been an NHL, guys defend themselves from hits by getting their elbow up when the other player comes at them.

Some of the best ever at doing this include Gordie Howe and Mark Messier.

There were even comments on CP yesterday about how Ferland has been getting pummeled the same way by ANA and LA whenever he starts throwing his weight around. And who was it, Pearson? that did the exact same thing to Giordano later in the game. (and no, it wasn't his shoulder, despite what Ball said)

The only remarkable thing about this play was that Doughty was caught off guard and took it right square in the face.

That, plus the fact that the Flames seem to be the league whipping boy.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #45
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tkachuk's controversial elbow on Drew Doughty

Elbow made contact while Tkachuk was trying to push back onto Doughty. Big whoop. It's a 2 min penalty.

We've been a team that has been gooned for your years and the NHL did nothing to suspend the opposing players, so no. No suspension. Maybe a fine, but that's it.

This Tkachuk is dirty talk is wrong. He's not. What has he done this year? The headbutt? Yeah, that was bleh. Suspend him for that, sure.

Slew foot? Worse slew foots happen on a fairly consistent basis and go uncalled. The elbow last night? It's an elbowing penalty. He didn't "target the head", he's moving his full body back into Doughty while reaching to grab Doughty's stick (he actually steals Doughty's stick). It's a 2 minute penalty and that's it.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-20-2017 at 08:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was at or near the line. It looked like what Forsberg used to do when defenders came from behind looking for a hit. He'd turn the tables by backing into them suddenly at the last second (and yes, sometimes with his elbow up).

I don't think it rises to suspension level, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL said differently. And they might, given the publicity.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #47
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Did the guy who slashed Gaudreau on the hand causing him to miss a couple of weeks get suspended? If that player didn't get suspended I can't see how they could suspend Tkachuk especially since Doughty wasn't hurt.
but his feelings were hurt..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #48
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As Gulutzan said a couple of months ago, "You'd rather tame a mustang than beat a mule."
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #49
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Everyone complains about all the crap on Gaudreau, and how the refs never call it, but then also complain when the Flames start playing dirty in response. Do you guys know how much sneaky lumber and elbows that the Kings and Ducks have been pulling on our star players over the past few years? I have no problem at all with an elbow like that. Tkachuk is not taking any ####, Doughty self-admittedly goes after him every game. This is how tough heavy playoff teams play.

If it was a blatant open ice or late headshot I would have an issue with it for sure. But this was not that. It was a 2 minute elbow in a battle for the puck between two players who were at each other all game. And the only reason this thread exists is because Doughty went down like a sack of potatoes.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Because it is not the first time Tkachuk has crossed the line.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #51
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think you'll find a lot of Flames fans defending him just to attempt to bring some balance and reason to the reaction from other team's fans across the league. If you read only the comments on Reddit you'd think Tkachuk removed Doughty's head with his stick.

There are a dozen equally dirty plays on any given night in the NHL. This one was more visible than most and went unpenalized, so it's getting attention.

For what it's worth, I'd be extremely surprised if there was any actual intent to injure Doughty. Tkachuk is a smart player, and smart players don't intentionally throw dirty elbows at star players while standing still with the puck 8 feet away from a ref.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #52
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, dirty play but whatever. He's wearing a Flames jersey so I don't really care. If that's me being a homer then sue me. I don't care. Love the kid and love the way he plays. Our team needs a villain.

Won't be surprised if he gets a game or two, but I don't want him to change a thing. He's awesome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #53
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Why isn't there a thread for Pearson's charging-elbow into Tkachuk's head immediately after?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #54
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Because it is not the first time Tkachuk has crossed the line.
If that's crossing the line these days I think everyone should be happy where things are at. It should have been a minor penalty, it wasn't, end of story. The fact that the retaliatory actions as described by posters above, which was far worse, wasn't even called says a lot about the whole thing.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #55
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Dirty play, Tkachuk deserves a suspension. If that elbow was on Gaudreau we'd be screaming bloody murder.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #56
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet 960‏ @Sportsnet960
#NHL insider Elliotte Friedman joins Boomer & Warrener. His gut says no discipline for Matthew Tkachuk.

Friedman must be a Flames homer?

He's not going to get suspended because it wasn't that bad. 2 minute minors for elbowing exist for a reason. Not every elbow is worth a suspension.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #57
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol, I can't wait to see the reaction on reddit and hfboards if there is no fine or suspension.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #58
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Sportsnet 960‏ @Sportsnet960
#NHL insider Elliotte Friedman joins Boomer & Warrener. His gut says no discipline for Matthew Tkachuk.

Friedman must be a Flames homer?

He's not going to get suspended because it wasn't that bad. 2 minute minors for elbowing exist for a reason.
That's not really what Friedman said though. He said Doughty playing is what likely means he won't. He also said he would be surprised if there was a couple games
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #59
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Reading the posts in this thread has me feeling old. It was a 2 minute penalty that wasn't called, oh no the huge manatee. Suspension? Get out of here. People clamour for a crap disturber for ages and now we have what looks to be a skilled one and some fans want to say suspend him? Did the teacher forget to assign us homework too?
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #60
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Doughty is a lumberman and whiner (though I give him credit for his post game remarks). Elbow or not we need someone on the team who will play with edge and get under the opposition skin. This was not a blatant open ice full on charging elbow like Torres unloads. This was two guys mixing it up and a close contact scuffle elbow. He just let him know he wasn't putting up with Doughty's s---. Good on him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greybeard For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread