Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will the Tkachuk hearing result be?
No discipine 57 14.29%
Fine 175 43.86%
1 game 123 30.83%
2 games 37 9.27%
3 games 3 0.75%
4 or more games 4 1.00%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #241
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
I like Tkachuk and he plays with a edge but he makes some plays that are kind dirty. The thing is he has to be ready for it as well because opposing players are going to start doing it against him as well.
That's a part of playing on the edge.... Sometimes you go over.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #242
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I certainly don't think he is targeting the head. Tkatchuk's back is to Doughty and he is trying to body him to get separation to make a play behind the net (which happens a lot in the game). Unless he has eyes in the back of his head I don't think you can say he is targeting the head. His shoulder/upper arm makes contact with Doughty's head but I certainly don't think that was the intent, just unfortunate that Doughty was leaning over to make a play at the puck, so he wasn't standing fully upright.

However he did make head contact though and knowing the Flames luck he will probably get suspended. I do think a fine is suffice though.
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #243
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Reckless or targetted, he still hit the head. And that's why the league is looking at it.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #244
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's a game for me. I absolutely love Tkachuk, but he walks a fine line and I thought he crossed it with that play. Not over-the-top dirty, but IMO still deserving of a short suspension. Hope he gets away with it though.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #245
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone suggesting he wasn't attempting to throw an elbow is outright kidding themselves.

Watch at the :23 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_bwt79izFg

The speed, motion and angle with which the arm is thrown back / up. Classic accidentally on purpose.

Again, I think it was a heat of the moment thing from a teenage player and I'm not trying to over-blow that it's a huge travesty.

But it was dirty, and I'd rather see hard-nose stuff that doesn't cross the line like this play did.

It was an intended elbow. There's just no need to try and spin it any other way.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #246
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Doughty sold the hit at the time and was convinced even moreso when he did not miss any time and I saw the replay. I do think Tkachuk gets at least a game for this. I think this guy is going to be so key for the team in the postseason as he plays so well on the edge at only 19.

Hopefully the Flames face a few teams this spring and whichever teams we play thrb3M line will be all over the top scorers. It is great that we have a player on that line that will get under the opponents skin
Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #247
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockfullofgoodness View Post
If the ref gave him 2 minutes for that elbow, everyone would be over it by now.
I think this plays into it.

Doughty wasn't injured and Tkachuk doesn't have a history of offences, so I think a fine and a warning is pretty fair in this case.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #248
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely dirty. Whether is was his shoulder, tricep or elbow that made contact doesn't matter. The intent was obviously to smack Doughty in the face with one of the three.

Was it sold a bit by Doughty? Sure. But lets not look like fools trying to explain this one away. We already learned that lesson with Wideman.

I think he gets a fine. Wouldn't complain if he got a game.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #249
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Should be nothing, will probably be a game. Now he'll be a repeat offender next time something comes up and it can be a multiple game ban. Terrible for flames fans, great for fans of altruistic sports justice.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #250
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be a fine, however if I was to guess the league will hand out a 2 game suspension.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #251
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really isn't as terrible as it's being made out to be. Lot of people don't like the kid and think he's entitled cuz of his father. I love that at the age of 19 he's afraid of no one and will be a player that teams will hate to play against. Not encouraging hits to the head but this is hockey and it happens and would encourage Tkachuk to keep being the physical beast that he's been, even if he goes over the line on a couple occasions. The Oiler tears are delicious,all mad cuz Poolparty was afraid of his own shadow in the NHL.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #252
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Anyone suggesting he wasn't attempting to throw an elbow is outright kidding themselves.

Watch at the :23 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_bwt79izFg

The speed, motion and angle with which the arm is thrown back / up. Classic accidentally on purpose.

Again, I think it was a heat of the moment thing from a teenage player and I'm not trying to over-blow that it's a huge travesty.

But it was dirty, and I'd rather see hard-nose stuff that doesn't cross the line like this play did.

It was an intended elbow. There's just no need to try and spin it any other way.
The hit does look pretty bad at the 0:23 mark, from that angle it looks like a elbow. But when I watch the replay at the 0:31 mark it looks more like a reverse check gone bad. Either way, hit to the head but I don't think there was malicious intent.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #253
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
The hit does look pretty bad at the 0:23 mark, from that angle it looks like a elbow. But when I watch the replay at the 0:31 mark it looks more like a reverse check gone bad. Either way, hit to the head but I don't think there was malicious intent.
I just don't buy that when there's a clear upward swinging motion of the arm. It's fast and sneaky, but it's clearly there. He was hoping to catch him with the arm / elbow, there's no doubt about it. You're suggesting it looks different in the angle you can't see his arm. In the one you can it's absolutely clear what he's doing.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #254
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some of you guys need to take off the 'Flame Rose' colored sunglasses.

Tkachuk saw Doughty coming, and threw out his elbow. I don't like it either, but it's a hit to the head, and he's probably getting suspended.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #255
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This just looks like an elbowing penalty to me. I think he will get a fine though and I am okay with that because it's borderline and he should have received supplemental discipline for the headbutt earlier in the season.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #256
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
Too bad it was not McDavid's head.
All class there.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #257
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Some of you guys need to take off the 'Flame Rose' colored sunglasses.

Tkachuk saw Doughty coming, and threw out his elbow. I don't like it either, but it's a hit to the head, and he's probably getting suspended.
I think the issue is the consistency

Malkin jumps to deliver an elbow to the side of a guys head resulting in injury and nothing

In fact he is now a hero for fighting the guy weeks later
Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #258
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he intended to throw the elbow, but not intend to make contact with the head. He was attempting to hit Doughty with his elbow in the chest area to block him.

That said, you have to be in responsible for your stick and your actions, so he deserved an in game elbowing penalty. You can argue if it was a 2 or 5 infraction.

What I don't agree with is, that because the official missed a call (that at most should have been a 5/game) it is possible that he is going to get a 2 game suspension. So instead of a major and getting kicked out of half a game, he might get 200% of that penalty.

Even if he gets fined it is unfair. If the officials do their job, then he gets a penalty and doesn't have to pay anything.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #259
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope he's not suspended. Being without Tkachuk and Ferland on the roadtrip would hurt. I suspect, however, that he'll get a game or 2. The Hockey News website is campaigning for multiple games.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #260
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least it was cleaner than 'the mother of all elbows'
Closed Thread