Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017 NFL Playoffs the road to Super Bowl LI

Oakland Raiders @ Houston Texans, Saturday Jan 7, 2:35 MST.

Detroit Lions @ Seattle Seahawks, Saturday Jan 7, 6:15 MST.

Miami Dolphins @ Pittsburgh Steelers, Sunday Jan 8, 11:05 MST.

New York Giants @ Green Bay Packers, Sunday Jan 8, 2:40 MST.

Personally, I'm a little more excited than usual as the Chiefs earned a first round bye and I will be in attendance at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday January 15th.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think all the home teams win, except for maybe GB. That one is a toss-up IMO.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well, whomever wins this round of the AFC is bound to be cannon fodder for the following week.

I'd like to see all visiting teams win, but I think all home teams will prevail.
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most interesting thing about this weekend, besides NYG-GB, is whether Texans-Raiders ends up as the lowest rated playoff game ever. I think ultimately no, because the Raiders have a decent national following. But on paper this is one of the worst playoff games in NFL history. Mercifully they put it first so everyone can grab a Saturday afternoon nap before the night game.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds_Buckley View Post
Well, whomever wins this round of the AFC is bound to be cannon fodder for the following week.

I'd like to see all visiting teams win, but I think all home teams will prevail.
Pittsburgh would probably be a favorite against Kansas City in that game. But I think the AFC is pretty much a one and a half horse race between New England and Pittsburgh.

My straight up picks are:
Houston
Seattle
New York (only because I said so earlier in the year)
Pittsburgh

Although I think Detroit will cover the spread against the Seahawks.

Of the teams playing this week, only New York, Green Bay, or Pittsburgh have any chance in the next round. This will anger the `12's' but without Earl Thomas, I'd expect the Falcons to light them up.

I have the Giants and Patriots meeting up in the Super Bowl again, but Brady finally bettering Eli at this point in time.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post

Personally, I'm a little more excited than usual as the Chiefs earned a first round bye and I will be in attendance at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday January 15th.

That's awesome. Hopefully Cairo Santos doesn't channel his inner Lynn Elliot....and Tyreek Hill is able to take another 60+ yarder to the house.

It's very likely the Steelers coming to Arrowhead and they did bludgeon the Chiefs in week 4. But the Patriots were crushed in Arrowhead and won a Superbowl two years ago. So hopefully that game can be thrown out, and Miami can beat up the Steelers a bit like the Bengals did last year before they went into Denver.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
That's awesome. Hopefully Cairo Santos doesn't channel his inner Lynn Elliot....and Tyreek Hill is able to take another 60+ yarder to the house.

It's very likely the Steelers coming to Arrowhead and they did bludgeon the Chiefs in week 4. But the Patriots were crushed in Arrowhead and won a Superbowl two years ago. So hopefully that game can be thrown out, and Miami can beat up the Steelers a bit like the Bengals did last year before they went into Denver.
^ This is likely to happen with Suh playing on the opposing team.

I'd really like to see KC play the Pats for the AFC Championship. IMO if you can pressure Brady like Denver did last year, you have a chance to beat them. The Chiefs have the best pass rushers with the likes of Houston, Hali, and Dee Ford.
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Pittsburgh would probably be a favorite against Kansas City in that game. But I think the AFC is pretty much a one and a half horse race between New England and Pittsburgh.

My straight up picks are:
Houston
Seattle
New York (only because I said so earlier in the year)
Pittsburgh

Although I think Detroit will cover the spread against the Seahawks.

Of the teams playing this week, only New York, Green Bay, or Pittsburgh have any chance in the next round. This will anger the `12's' but without Earl Thomas, I'd expect the Falcons to light them up.

I have the Giants and Patriots meeting up in the Super Bowl again, but Brady finally bettering Eli at this point in time.

that would be the craziest stat in the history of sport if Brady went 4-3 in Super Bowls losing all three to Eli Manning :P

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Most interesting thing about this weekend, besides NYG-GB, is whether Texans-Raiders ends up as the lowest rated playoff game ever. I think ultimately no, because the Raiders have a decent national following. But on paper this is one of the worst playoff games in NFL history. Mercifully they put it first so everyone can grab a Saturday afternoon nap before the night game.
Yeah the Oakland v Texans matchup is a stinker unless you are a fan of either team but not worst of all time bad. Raiders are a big story this year just too bad about QB. But there have been teams with worse records in the playoffs before. It's just the worst matchup this year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Hawks, Steelers and Giants will win easily while the Texans/Raiders is a toss up .

Also, aren't the Texans and Raiders pretty good teams just with bad Quarterbacks? I guess TV ratings are somewhat dependent on big name QBs however.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Alshon Jeffery guarantees the Bears will win the Superbowl next year.

Im not kidding.

Quote:
To a portion of the frustrated fan base, Jeffery's comment -- "I guarantee you we'll win the Super Bowl next year" -- felt ill-timed. The Bears had just finished the worst season in franchise history and missed the playoffs for the ninth time in 10 years.
Im curious who the SB winning QB is supposed to be....cause it sure as hell aint any of the guys they have now.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...bowl-guarantee
Old 01-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #12
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a Hawks fan but no chance they win on the road. It has been a very inconstant season and they were lucky to be in such a bad division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
that would be the craziest stat in the history of sport if Brady went 4-3 in Super Bowls losing all three to Eli Manning :P
The crazier stat would be Eli Manning going 3-0 in Super Bowls winning all three against Brady.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 01-04-2017 at 03:45 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't think you can judge a game before it happens. Yeah, Oakland and Houston don't look like world beaters. But the great thing about NFL Football, hell sports in general, is that it can be unpredictable. How many hyped up matchups end up being snoozers?
Old 01-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We know as long time Chiefs fans that nothing is ever in the bag. At the very least the BBQ at Joe's will be awesome!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Rooting for New York and/or Seattle this week as the highest seed of those or Green Bay will face Atlanta next week and I want no part of the Packers right now. I think they're the only team in the NFC that can keep up with the Falcons offense and Rodgers always seems to light us up.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #16
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we going to see the traditional Falcons that light it up during the regular season earning a bye, only to get their butt kicked at home?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Are we going to see the traditional Falcons that light it up during the regular season earning a bye, only to get their butt kicked at home?
The last time they were the number 1 seed (Tony Gonzalez final season) they did manage to beat Seattle despite blowing a big second half lead, and mounted a pretty good comeback against the 49'ers.

I think this years team is better as the offence is as good and maybe better with the run game and line that they have to go with Ryan and Julio Jones. Their defence is a bit like Dallas where maybe it's not a renowned group of players, but they have a couple good rookies and Vic Beasley starting to hit his stride.

The NFC is pretty open. Really I think any of Dallas, Atlanta, Green Bay or the the Giants could be in the Superbowl. On any day any of these teams is capable of beating the other.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #18
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah the Oakland v Texans matchup is a stinker unless you are a fan of either team but not worst of all time bad. Raiders are a big story this year just too bad about QB. But there have been teams with worse records in the playoffs before. It's just the worst matchup this year.
Oakland is 12-4 tied for the 3rd best record in the NFL...obviously there have been worse records

Houston doesn't deserve a home game

this would be a cake walk for Oakland except the fact they have to start their 3rd stringer who has never started an NFL game

Last edited by dino7c; 01-05-2017 at 12:37 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #19
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Oakland is 12-4 tied for the 3rd best record in the NFL...obviously there have been worse records

Houston doesn't deserve a home game

this would be a cake walk for Oakland except the fact they have to start their 3rd stringer who has never started an NFL game
The game between the two teams in Mexico City wasn't exactly a cake walk. Oakland had to come from behind to win that night with Derek Carr, and the Texans had two officiating gaffes go against them. One of which cost them a touch down, and the other which cost them a first down.

As much as many dismiss the Texans at time due to their woeful QB's (myself included), they do generally find ways to be pretty competitive. Even without JJ Watt, their defence has been pretty good this year. Houston has a good team in every aspect except that they can't seem to find a guy who can even consistently be a game manager at QB. Brian Hoyer gave it to them for a short stretch last year, but they have struggled to find a singular guy to do that since Matt Schwabb fell apart.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #20
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The game between the two teams in Mexico City wasn't exactly a cake walk. Oakland had to come from behind to win that night with Derek Carr, and the Texans had two officiating gaffes go against them. One of which cost them a touch down, and the other which cost them a first down.

As much as many dismiss the Texans at time due to their woeful QB's (myself included), they do generally find ways to be pretty competitive. Even without JJ Watt, their defence has been pretty good this year. Houston has a good team in every aspect except that they can't seem to find a guy who can even consistently be a game manager at QB. Brian Hoyer gave it to them for a short stretch last year, but they have struggled to find a singular guy to do that since Matt Schwabb fell apart.
Two teams in the entire NFL won more games than the Raiders this year

TWO, as a fan its really unfortunate they are playing a wild card game on the road with their third string quarterback and people are talking like they snuck into the playoffs or something.

9-7 team has home field against a 12-4 team...its nothing against Houston it just doesn't seem right