Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default 2016 NCAA College Football

Season officially starts Aug 26 when Hawaii plays Cal in Australia.

Sets us up for an amazing opening Labour Day weekend.

Quote:
On the opening Saturday, Oklahoma will play Houston, UCLA will play Texas A&M, LSU will play Wisconsin (at Lambeau Field!), Georgia will play North Carolina, USC will play Alabama and Clemson will play Auburn. Then Notre Dame will play at Texas on Sunday night, and Ole Miss will play Florida State on Labor Day night.
http://www.espn.com/college-football...on-predictions

Hopefully TSN comes through with the coverage. Early last year their coverage sucked big time and it was only into winter that they started offering some selection on Saturday mornings. Some Saturdays they didn't play any games or just subbed one of the ABC games, which we obviously already get on ABC. I sent several nasty emails when we missed major top 25 matchups so they could show the same tennis/golf/nascar coverage across all 5 channels.

Meaningless preseason Coaches Poll:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

Roll Tide Roll.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

TSN has released a September schedule. We miss Georgia vs NC but they've picked up ESPN broadcasts for Michigan vs Hawaii and Auburn vs Clemson. All the other major match ups are already on ABC or CBS.

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa-football-on-tsn-1.538151
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technically the season starts on August 27th in Australia. Will be on at 8pm on the 26th Calgary time though.

I'm going to the game and can't wait! Any future NFL stars I should be keeping a close eye on?
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Excited for the new season. Somewhat worried considering the amount of hype surrounding Michigan, what with them not having a QB yet but still hopeful. Other than three tough road gamed the schedule lines up nicely this year. Barring a QB meltdown they should be in the playoffs.

I expect this thread to be somewhat quieter than usual, our resident scam artist was one of the more vocal SEC rules guys IIRC.

Watson will have a target on his chest all year like Bridgewater did in his draft year. Wonder if he can defy odds and still go #1.

Last edited by ResAlien; 08-24-2016 at 07:52 AM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm an SEC guy!

But not really, I'm just a Bama guy.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go every team that places against Michigan!
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
IceMan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Go Irish!

Always pumped for College Football to start. 8 month off season is way too long.

You Bama guys are spoiled. I can't wait until Saban retires.
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every year i try and catch more NCAA games but watching football all saturday and all sunday is pushing it.

I feelnid pay more attention if there was any consistency on TV to get attatched to a team
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan xMVPx View Post
You Bama guys are spoiled. I can't wait until Saban retires.
You could always just jump on the bandwagon like the rest of them did
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey! I was a fan since Mike Shula and when I picked them I fully expected them to just be a team I followed that was mediocre but had a cool history.

That changed, luckily for me
Old 08-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty excited to see what Washington State can do this year. The program has turned around so much in the last decade. There's a good shot for them to be a real darkhorse this year, the North Division of the pac 10 is wide open from what I read
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #12
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I'm pretty excited to see what Washington State can do this year. The program has turned around so much in the last decade. There's a good shot for them to be a real darkhorse this year, the North Division of the pac 10 is wide open from what I read
Yup -- for those unfamiliar with WSU and their quarterback, Luke Falk, SI just did a nice piece on him here: http://www.campusrush.com/luke-falk-...985097014.html
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Yup -- for those unfamiliar with WSU and their quarterback, Luke Falk, SI just did a nice piece on him here: http://www.campusrush.com/luke-falk-...985097014.html
If state can get past Stanford, Oregon, and Washington I'll be legitimately amazed. I'd peg them for a fourth place finish in the North
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
IceMan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Hey! I was a fan since Mike Shula and when I picked them I fully expected them to just be a team I followed that was mediocre but had a cool history.

That changed, luckily for me
You ever been to Tuscaloosa for a game nik?

I've been to South Bend twice both at night for the USC game. I try to tell people here that aren't into college football to watch some games but maybe you have to go down there just to appreciate how big it is.

I think my next trip is going to be to Baton Rouge or Oxford. Death valley at night would be awesome plus the scenery in the south is not bad on the eyes .

I would watch college over the NFL any day. From the atmosphere, band, student section, chants, tailgating and all the tradition that goes with these schools, nothing compares to it. Maybe a big European soccer game would come close but there's not many 80000 plus seat soccer stadiums in Europe.

I like the NFL but you watch any game and they all look the same. College has so many different offenses and I like that the hash marks are spread out. Makes the game more interesting.
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IceMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #15
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I went a couple years back to Bama LSU and it was incredible. My seat was literally in the last row haha. 100000 inside and 50000 outside tailgating.

The whole experience was great ... except for actually leaving Tuscaloosa back to Birmingham after the game. That was a cluster####.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a number of NCAA stadiums on my bucket list... Rose Bowl, the Big House, Horseshoe, the Swamp, Notre Dame, etc etc etc.

Sadly, the only one I've checked off thus far are the relatively cozy confines of Martin Stadium in Pullman, WA. Go Cougs!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #17
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I attended my first ever NCAA football game on the weekend in Sydney and it was a lot of fun. I now want to see a game in America to get the full college football experience.

The score was 51-31 for Cal so there was a lot of excitement and not much defence. I was impressed with Hawaii for keeping the game within reach and if it wasn't for a bad onside kick to start the game and three turnovers it would have been much closer. The most impressive part though was the Cal duo of Davis Webb and Chad Hansen who connected for a number of nice passing plays. Webb looked very calm and confident in the pocket and his decision making was top notch.

Unfortunately, the game was poorly organised by the Olympic Stadium. The prices could have been a little lower as there was only 61k fans in a 88k stadium. Also, even with the smaller crowd they ran out of merchandise an hour before the game, ran out of hot dogs at half time, and ran out of beer in the 3rd quarter. Their excuse was that they were not prepared for the crowd arriving at the same time all wanting lunch (the game started at noon, and they had advertised American style food at the stadium, of course everyone wanted lunch!)

To conclude I enjoyed the product on the field but I am not sure it made much of an impression with the Sydneysiders. The fans here are used to Rugby League which is fast paced an over in under two hours and I could sense some boredom with the slower paced gridiron which took almost four hours.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #18
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have pointed out, Temple as the opponent is an insane lack of foresight. Temple's most famous alum? Bill Cosby. Should be fun working in Penn State's PR department the next few weeks.

Quote:
Penn State plans to honor longtime head coach Joe Paterno before the team's game against Temple on Sept. 17, according to the athletic department's promotional schedule.

The tribute will honor the 50th anniversary of Paterno's first game as the Nittany Lions head coach. Paterno served as the head coach from 1966 to 2011.
http://www.si.com/college-football/2...game-vs-temple
Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Awful clock management costs Appalachian State the chance to knock Tennessee out of the top 10. Hope that doesn't bite them in the arse in OT.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #20
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridiculously unlucky plays are probably going to cost app state this game.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote